Panasonic announces revised Lumix G 20mm F1.7 II ASPH lens

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by cstevens, Jun 28, 2013.

1. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
  2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Yeah, the consensus seems to be that this is a simply a cosmetic upgrade. It appears that the mk. II version retains the optical design of the original version. This is fine with me in that I find the P20 to offer a very nice rendition, but obviously many people wanted (expected) an increase in AF performance to address the one common complaint railed against this lens.
  3. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    I agree with DPR on this one. The optical design was really good and a newer one would surely attract different complaints. It appears they've made some attempt to make it AF faster, e.g., lighter, so we'll see. I've always missed my 20 after I sold it and I held off on buying the 60 for $399 so maybe I'll give this one a whirl.
  4. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Not sure where you're reading that they've made any attempt to improve the AF?? Appears cosmetic only to me..... maybe making it in two different colours will make it AF quicker? :biggrin:
  5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    12g lighter and cosmetic changes. I don't see how they could have improved this great lens. I would think faster AF would need a larger lens, and the size is a major strength of this lens.
  6. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    I would expect that since faster AF would require internal focusing, it would likely require a new optical design, too...and that could be a risk in itself.
  7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    The 14/2.5 pancake is smaller though and still manages internal focusing. So I'm not sure I follow why an internal focusing 20/1.7 design would necessarily be much larger?
  8. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    :smile:I'm only thinking of being a bit lighter and easier to move.