1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic Announces DMC-G6 and New 14-140mm lens

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    8677276282_04253f32de.

Panasonic has announced the G6, a camera which improves on the G5 in several areas:
    • New design with improved ergonomics
    • More external controls
    • New OLED viewfinder
    • Higher resolution LCD
    • Capacitive, multitouch controls
    • New image processor
    • Faster startup, burst mode
    • Improved low light autofocus and metering
    • Wired remote and external microphone connectivity
    • Full PASM control for video
    • 2.4GHz 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi
    • Near Field Communications (NFC) connectivity
    • Focus peaking functionality

Overall, the G6 seems like a solid upgrade with many refinements over the G5. Some have expressed disappointment over the fact that it shares the same 16MP sensor as the G5 and GH2. Size is marginally greater and weight slightly lower than the G5. No word on pricing or availability as of yet.

8677276274_05d8880a00.

8677276266_17bf583bc4.

Panasonic today also announced a new, lighter and more compact 14-140mm lens, the Lumix G 14-140mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH Power O.I.S. lens.

8676183813_175b3fe355.

2. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    58 mm filter thread on that new 14-140/3.5-5.6, interesting development! I wonder if the 100-300 will ever get a revision with smaller filter thread too.

NFC is an interesting feature to have on a camera. Official focus peaking finally in a m4/3 body? Wow.

3. 43hk

43hk Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2010
    HK
    Considering that if I get this it will be a jump from a first generation m43 camera to a 5th.:wink: New body shape looks businesslike.

Spot-on for my needs. Especially if focus peaking is part of the package.

:thumbup:

4. lewis44

lewis44 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 23, 2012
    California
    Looks a lot like a Leica R8/9 Film Camera. It was one of my Favorite Camera's

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    LOVE the styling. Not sure I want to step backwards on the sensor, though :(

6. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I agree as that's the camera this reminded me of.

7. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    i think its for quick connecting to ipad etc

8. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

iPad doesn't have NFC(at least not natively) if I am not mistaken. Windows, and Android devices(phones, tablets, pcs) as far I know have NFC built it though.

9. arson519

arson519 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    Canada
    so this is a gh2.5 as it has manual video

wonder how good pics will be with new processor

10. Borsch

Borsch Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2013
    How come OLympus has fitted OM-D sensor into E-PL and E-PMs, but Panny has kept the best sensor for GH3 only? Disappointment :(

11. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    They must think their own sensor tech is good enough to be competitive for consumer-focused models. TBH if it is the same sensor as the GH2 / G5 and has multi-aspect enabled, I would actually prefer it. Looking at the specs in DPreview's quick look, this doesn't seem to be the case.

This is a frustrating announcement for me. It fixes some things I did not like about the G5, such as the lack of manual control in video mode, and we now have two proper control wheels and lots of customisable buttons. However it also looks to be quite considerably larger, and I don't like the idea of OLED finders as they are not colour accurate, a problem which worsens as they are used.

*edit*

Nope, the control behind the shutter is a rocker, not a wheel. Just read in the OP that the body is actually lighter than the G5 despite being larger. Can't help but feel Panasonic's current direction is led by focus groups, telling them them people equate 'larger' with 'more serious'.

12. Borsch

Borsch Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2013
    The same focus groups no doubt that ruin Oly e-pls/e-pms suggetsing that non pros prefer widescreen lcds on their cameras :(

13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    One bright side is that the Panasonic sensor doesn't have the purple flare issue with the 7-14 which has been seen with the Sony sensor in the GH3 and Olympus cameras.

14. muHakon

muHakon New to Mu-43

Oct 4, 2012
    I am generally pleased with the G6. Aesthetically it's a clear improvement over the g5 - it looks expensive;) Personally, I'm getting a bit tired of the retro look.

I'm buying my first "serious" camera this summer, and this with a Lumix 25mm is a good candidate (for my wallet). I'm fine with buying a tried and tested sensor - latest technology is not always preferable..

15. vallver

vallver Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 15, 2012
    I'm quite excited about the new 14-140!

I hope IQ is still good!

16. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I vastly prefer the retro look - it sets the camera apart from the Canikon crowd. Panasonic continues to use the mini-DSLR look and continues to make them bigger. Bulky and awkward are among the reasons that I left the DSLR crowd for :43:. That is, however, the beauty of :43: - the variety of body styles and lenses available. :cool:

17. teddoman

teddoman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2013
    nyc
    This is definitely a camera that would interest me. I couldn't get excited about GX1, G5 or GF5 because of the limits on video. GH2, if I could get ahold of one, interested me more, but the poor resolution on the LCD screen concerned me for handheld manual focus situations. G6 really seems to be a really nice alternative for those not necessarily wanting a GH3 but also dissatisfied with the other models.

18. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    I'm not from DSLR, but do I miss the big fat grip from my Panasonic superzoom (which was mimicing SLRs and looks a lot like the G/GH series).

19. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I have the G5 and while the new OLED viewfinder would be nice, I see no reason to bother with an upgrade. And someone has to put Panasonic's marketing department on a leash. Continued crippling of the GH2 sensor by suspending its multi-aspect ability is just dumb. The new 14-140 seems nice. But it's too late. I bought a refurbished Oly 14-150 for $329 last year. Likewise, I'm keeping an eye on Oly OM-D prices.

20. brlowe

brlowe Mu-43 Regular

Feb 2, 2011
    Boise, ID
    I have the GH3 and the G5 and the sensors are very close. I have taken great pictures with both. My wife loves her G5 but I use the GH3 because of extra function buttons and I really like the wifi connection to my iphone or Ipad and these 2 things are great. I think I will be adding a G6 to my collection around Sept when you can walk in and get them. If I was shopping now and did not have the GH3 I might skip it and just get the G6. I also think I may add the new 14-140 lens for my wife.

For those of you that have not used the wifi try this. Put the camera on a monopod with a power zoom lens and have someone or do it yourself but hold it up high over a crowd and you can see your picture and take what you want. With the power zoom lenses you can zoom if needed. This works great when you are stuck behind a people and want to get a shot. You cannot do this by adding a wifi SD card.