"Panasonic announces 30mm macro development!"

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by sammykhalifa, Sep 15, 2014.

1. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
  2. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    well, it is and it isn't a surprise.

For me personally, something in the 67.5 or 75mm range(135-150 equivalent) would be great. Mostly because for my macro subjects (primarily bugs) i would need a greater working distance than the one i have with Oly 60mm.

But smaller FL can be used, typically for product photography. I guess Panasonic thinks they can take over the Sigma share covered by their 30mm easier (due to it being f2.8, and not being a macro) than the one taken by Oly 60mm and/or superb Oly 75mm (not a macro).

3. Divideby0

Divideby0 New to Mu-43

Sep 6, 2014
    Colorado
    It should work and possibly be more affordable than the Olympus 60mm. The main issues with shorter macro lenses are working distance, as mentioned by Ramsey, and lighting the subject (due to the front of the lens being so close).

Personally, I wouldn't consider anything shorter than 60mm for a macro lens on m4/3 due to the above mentioned concerns. If Olympus or Panasonic wanted to make a 100mm macro for under $1000 with a tripod collar, I'd be very interested.

4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    There were lots of 50mm macros for 35 mm, so this would be right in line with that. I used the A50 2.8 with my Pentax bodies for many years.

5. Cederic

Cederic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Nottingham
    Wider angle should help a little on 1:1 reproduction depth of field. I'd want this just for that.

I also want an 'almost macro' lens for taking photographs of flowers, where you get a single flower in the foreground and a beautiful out of focus background adding colour and texture. But really I want a 24-30mm equivalent lens for that, not a 30mm lens that's 60mm equivalent.