Panasonic announces 25mm f1.7

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by GFFPhoto, Sep 1, 2015.

1. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Small, has OIS, and the website lists it for $249. I think that makes it the lowest price lens Panasonic sells.
  2. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
  4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Though very sharp, the 42.5 f/1.7 has meh bokeh for me. Hopefully they don't go the same way with the 25, but since it doesn't have the Leica badge I'm guessing they will go the same route with it...
  5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Do we really need another 25mm lens option?
    • Agree Agree x 3
  6. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    Not if you already have one, but if someone is buying their first 25, then it does provide options, price-wise.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    Clearly we still need a 25mm f0.95 (w/ AF), 25mm macro, 25mm tilt-shift, and 25mm f2.8 pancake...

This lens fills a great spot in Panasonic's lineup, the only strange thing to me is that the Olympus 25/1.8 is already there and doesn't even have the OS difference like the O45 vs P42.5. I thought they intended to compete less with each other, but I guess that has fallen by the wayside as the lens lineup has become quite full.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I too an surprised that Panasonic didn't include OIS with the lens. OIS (along with the much shorter MFD) is one of the big selling points of the 42.5 over the 45. And to be honest, if this lens had OIS I would've likely sold my PL25 to buy it, since the inclusion of OIS is great for video. But with no OIS, I just see it as another "me too" lens. Meh... still looking forward to the 100-400 though!
  9. cptobvious

cptobvious Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2013
    Now that Oly and Pany both have 'budget' 25 and 42.5/45 options, it'd be nice if one or both could compete the trio with a fast 14mm option with plastic build, fast linear AF motor, and $400 or less.
  10. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    I believe the benefit of this lens is the capability with panasonics DFD / faster autofocus. Besides that, it is fairly redundant.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

They're actually a whole line of lenses designed to fit well with the smaller form factor of the GM series. The 14-42 X was already small but too wide so they made the 12-32. All the telephotos were too big so they made the 35-100 f/5.6. The PL45 and PL42.5 were too big so they made the 42.5 f/1.7. 14mm was okay, but they lacked a fast one so they made the PL15. The PL25 was too big so they now make the 25 f/1.7.

The lack of OIS is unsurprising, Panasonic have thus far categorically refused to put OIS in lenses that are limited to 25mm in focal length or less. The shortest lenses that include OIS all follow this rule, e.g. 12-32, 14-42, 30mm macro.
  12. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Ignoring Olympus options, 14/25/42.5 is not a bad budget prime kit from Panasonic.

Still would've preferred something outside 14-45. How many Panasonic primes in that range are there? Nine?
  13. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    So the new P25 has a 7-blade aperture, 1 UHR element and 2 ASPH elements. The PL25 has the exact same specs, and the O25 has the same specs minus the 1 UHR element.

I really think Panasonic missed an opportunity here with the omission of OIS. MSRP of the P25 is $299, and is on sale (supposedly) for $249. The O25 has an MSRP of $399, and is currently on sale for $299. I would've gladly paid an extra $100 for the addition of OIS, but oh well...
  14. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I think this is the closest we have to a "nifty fifty" in the system.

If Panasonic is selling this at $250 MSRP (sale price, schmale price) then I can foresee a street price that gets tantalizingly close to $200 before very long.

$200 is cheap enough that we might actually see "average" customers buying a second lens (and a prime lens at that!) for the first time outside of their 2-lens zoom kits.

$399 MSRP (though down to $299 at this point) for the Olympus 25/1.8 was far too much to fill this roll, but this super basic lens could do the trick.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Not that i have problems with a little bit of healthy competition, and we're always in need of more nifty fifties, but i just don't see it making big sales numbers.

Yeah, the list price is rather good, but used prices of the Oly 25mm are in the $250-300 range. Used prices of the PL 25mm are around $350.

I started naming all the lenses i'd rather see before this, but i don't think anyone would like to see this thread going that way :)
  16. tkbslc

I don't do many slow exposure at 25mm. I can take OIS it or leave it at this length.
  17. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    So once a few people start buying this lens (because there are lots, and lots of people who only buy new lenses) you end up with 25mm lenses selling in the $150 range, especially if it's a generally unremarkable lens (i.e. no OIS, no Leica badge, etc...).

There will always be a market for cheaper lenses that can do the job.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    But do you do much video at 25mm? I enjoy shooting videos with prime lenses for their more shallow DoF, but no OIS makes getting good video footage much more difficult.
  19. tkbslc

25mm not too bad if bracing properly but good point.
  20. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    There are also PP warp stabilizers that sometimes end up doing an even better job than OIS. But I guess the free ones are tricky to use, and the good ones (Mercalli?) are super expensive, so maybe that's not a great point.

Does iMovie do a decent job on that for those with Macs?