Panasonic and Sony Factories Damaged in Quake

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Chuck Pike, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Chuck Pike

Chuck Pike Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2010
    Charlotte, NC.
    It looks like it could be a while before Japan gets back on its feet. I can't even think how it would feel to live through all of this. I was raised near San Francisco and something like this was always in the background of your mind.

It also looks like we might have to forgo getting a new camera and learn how to use the one that we already have, which isn't a bad thing. I read online that Panasonic camera factory is damaged, and they can't get power.

From MSMBC

Panasonic Corp said continuing aftershocks were preventing it from inspecting two factories in northern Japan, one making electronic parts and another digital cameras and audio equipment. It said a lack of proper power and water supply was a potential bottleneck.

Electronics giant Sony Corp has suspended operations at eight factories including one making optical film that was flooded by the tsunami triggered by Friday's 8.9-magnitude quake.

In the scheme of things not getting a new camera isn't really that important is it. It might mean that once the pipe line is empty it will be a while before we see anything new. The last thing in the mind of the Japanese is not where is my camera, but rather where is my next meal and water.

Images for books, magazines and calendars | photosbypike

• Like Like x 8
  2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    .....and where is my family....

• Like Like x 5
  3. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    Fuji's plant is also in Sendai, so later X100 shipments may be delayed (though there are probably some enroute via ship already).

Also, Nikon's high-end cameras are made in Sendai.

4. deirdre

Aug 9, 2010
  5. panystac

panystac Mu-43 Regular

Sep 14, 2010
    Tokyo, Japan
    There was a magnitude 6.2 in Nagano Prefecture on Friday evening, which did some damage.

6. deirdre

Aug 9, 2010
  7. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

I know we all have concerns for the people who are living in Japan. Please let us keep this thread strictly about verifiable and linkable reports on the camera industry's camera manufacturing companies - only.

We are not in a position to discuss the country's future economically or anything else, though I am sure many of us are thinking about ramifications.

Thank you all for understanding.

8. BobBill

BobBill Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2010
    MN USA
    Bob Hively-Johnson
    Japan's Tragic Aftermath

I was wondering if my new Metabones adapter would be delayed, but made in China. Still, lots of camera and car parts from Japan will be on back-order, not doubt, for some time.

That country needs serious help.

9. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

News update from Japan

Japan disaster damage: Toshiba, Fujitsu, Casio, Panasonic, more report | Companies News - Betanews

Panasonic, consumer electronics and computer company, and parent company of Sanyo/Kyocera, has facilities in Sendai and Fukushima that have sustained serious physical damage, including collapsed ceilings and walls and some structural fires. Due to rolling blackouts and requests to cut power by Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO), the Sanyo factory ceased operations early on Monday, and all electric advertising for the company has been powered down since Saturday.

(The good news is that these are not the camera and lens factories. They are in that general region, though not as close to the heavily damaged area. Should the nuclear situation worsen, the boundries would obvioulsly expand.)