Panasonic and Olympus Price and Availability in U.S.A.

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Blue Cube Imaging, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Blue Cube Imaging

Blue Cube Imaging Mu-43 Regular

Nov 29, 2010
    Southern Oregon, USA
    As an authorized dealer for both brands (although Panasonic is now in question) I had some interesting news last week that may have some effect on price and availability on both Olympus and Panasonic products in the U.S.A.

The largest distributor of Panasonic products to independent dealers has discontinued their association with Panasonic.

In a nutshell during the holidays products were available through and web sources at below what the distribution group had paid for the same items. Since we smaller dealers obviously couldn't sell the product below cost the decision was made by the group to discontinue Panasonic as a whole.

Hundreds of independent dealers that were purchasing Panasonic will now have to search for another stream of distribution or as I suspect reduce or eliminate Panasonic products from there inventory.

As of this writing I have not been able to replace my distributor with one that is viable.

What this may mean to you is that there may not be the local support/inventory supply available to you. Of course this depends on how much business you still do with smaller local brick and mortar stores.

Just a heads up to those that have been holding off buying Olympus gear for one reason or another.

Olympus like many other companies has been being beaten up and the value of their products undermined by retailers (both online and traditional shops) using bait and switch techniques and/or loss leader items.

To combat the devaluation of Olympus products OIMA is implementing a new policy on Monday to help curtail this activity.

This policy does not restrict the Authorized Dealer’s right to establish independent advertised and resale prices. OIMA reserves the right to determine whether an Authorized Dealer has advertised OIMA’s products at a net advertised price less than the minimum advertised price established in this Unilateral Policy. Upon such determination OIMA may, without assuming any liability, cancel all orders and indefinitely refuse to accept new orders from the Authorized Dealer.

Basically what this means is that retailers found selling at pricing that are damaging to Olympus's brand will be barred from purchasing additional product.

A dealer can sell anything for whatever price they want, however they cannot advertise it below what Olympus has set as a "baseline" this includes phrases such as "click here for price" and "add to cart for pricing".

Hopefully this move by OIMA will allow we small dealers to further market :43: products locally without fear of having our already slim margins degraded by loss leader sales companies.

It may mean (if Olympus follows through) that your local dealer will be able to sell at the same price as the larger box stores and internet sources.

This one is exciting to me because I fully support Olympus products and may actually now have a chance to compete. If this actually works and Olympus indeed monitors dealers as they are proposing I will start to stock more unique products on the shelves rather than special order them.
    • Like Like x 1