Panasonic and Fuji develop new sensor.

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Livnius, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Hot on the heals of the Sony-Olympus alliance Fuji-Panasonic have announced a sensor partnership. On the cards is a new 'organic' sensor tech with what appears to be 14.6 stops of Dynamic Range...for reference the dynamic range monster, the Nikon D800E has something below 14 stops.

Would be nice to see this, perhaps in conjunction with Panasonics high detail 'light splitting' tech at some point in the next few years.

Hot news! Panasonic and Fuji developed the first organic sensor! | 43 Rumors

2. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    Panasonic and Fuji getting together, that's in it's self is interesting.

3. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    Alan
    And just a few days ago some on here were saying Panasonic are getting out of the sensor business, just shows no one knows whats round the corner

4. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Perhaps Fuji will produce the sensors for Panasonic.

5. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Maybe Fuji can make some lenses as well for Panasonic ... :D

6. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    Hmm.. as good as the Panasonic premium lenses are, methinks Fuji is getting along just fine on their own. Take a look at their lens roadmap. Besides, I don't think it'd be a good idea for Panasonic to make a 3D lens or pancake motorized standard zoom for Fuji. :tongue: I know what -- they can help with making pinch caps. Fuji's pinch caps suck.

Kidding aside, this should be good news for Panasonic though as they've been playing catchup with Olympus lately in the sensor department. :smile:

7. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I just had to come search mu-43.com, I figured somebody would have posted this article by the time I found it :smile:

Very, very cool stuff. If this lives up to the promises that's a big bump in dynamic range over the best sensors on the market, AND considerably better noise performance to boot.

The article has been updated too, apparently it's a possible 29.2 stops of dynamic range, not 14.6 (!!). I'm not one to believe hype, but if that's even remotely close to true then we're looking at a serious upgrade in sensor tech coming in the next few years. I wonder how far they are from this making it into a camera; the press release indicates to me they still have a number of big steps to make before then. Wouldn't be surprised if we see this sensor in a phone camera or P&S first, before an ILC.

8. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Everybody's jumping on the Organic bandwagon. Perhaps they should put ads in the produce sections. Joking :tongue:

These are exciting times.

9. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    Wow. If that's truly the case, that would be a dramatic improvement in sensor technology that would justify someone's GAS! All kidding aside, this could be a game-changer for a lot of folks, especially when you consider that- if that 29 figure is true and my superficial search results are correct- this dynamic range significantly exceeds that of most standard film. Bye bye grad ND!

Rafael

10. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I don't have any proof, but I have a strong suspicion we'll see this in camera phones first.

Smaller sensors, easier to seal off to protect the organic sensor, and phone cameras with huge noise performance and dynamic range would be a big hit with the "I want to take a picture of my food/friends/drink in a dark restaurant" crowd. Heck, they're even advertising the latest Nokia as the best low light camera phone as it is...

11. Trigger

Trigger Mu-43 Regular

Jun 11, 2013
    I have to wonder if this is like a lot of new technologies, where it takes several years before we see it implemented.

12. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Those are theoretical engineering estimates, not actual measurements. As Thom Hogan pointed out, the 10MP Aptina sensor in the Nikon V1 had even higher theoretical numbers, and that camera is well behind current generation m4/3 tech.

13. BeyondTheLines

BeyondTheLines Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2012
    Spain/USA
    Patrick
    There was an interesting article about other new sensor technology linked in the comments for dpreview.com's article on the Fuji/Panasonic collaboration

Clear photos in dim light: New sensor a thousand times more sensitive than current camera sensors

Worthy to note:
    "While designing this sensor, we have kept current manufacturing practices in mind. This means the industry can in principle continue producing camera sensors using the CMOS (complementary metal-oxide-semiconductor) process, which is the prevailing technology used by the majority of factories in the electronics industry. Therefore manufacturers can easily replace the current base material of photo sensors with our new nano-structured graphene material."