1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Panasonic accounces rugged Lumix DC-TS7

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by PakkyT, May 11, 2018.

1. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    This is a compact fixed lens point and shoot "rugged" sport type camera like Oly's Tough series. Hence why I am posted it here.

Worth mentioning this one because unlike Oly's latest models of their Tough series, Panasonic was kind enough to include an electronic viewfinder for those of us who hate shooting using the back LCD which often suck in bright conditions where a rugged camera like this is most likely to be used (beach, skiing, etc.). It of course has all the usual "rugged" characteristics like being able to be sat on by a fat man, keeping it in your freezer, scuba diving without a case, etc. plus the latest bells and whistles such as Wi-Fi and 4K video.

Source: Panasonic Lumix TS7/FT7 is the first rugged compact camera with a built-in EVF

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  2. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    LOL, I appreciate your humor. It's always good to know that my camera can survive being sat on my a 100kg person, as well as survive a stint in the freezer (you wouldn't believe how many times I forget to take my camera out of the freezer...).

3. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I find that I can take really cool photos after I store my camera in the freezer.

4. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    That's true, but I always find the images taken after having my camera sat on by a fat man to appear very flat.

5. PakkyT

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    I should have wrote "scuba diving without a case down to where you will likely die from the bends". :rofl:

6. Apollo T.

Apollo T. Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2016
    Northern New Jersey
    Not enough to survive my fat ASSets. How soon will the mark 11 be announced?

7. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Mark 11 what?

8. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

Yuck. Phone sized sensor and f3.3-5.9 lens.

9. PakkyT

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Compared to what with the same set of rugged features?

10. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 18, 2015
    This is the unfortunate truth about rugged cameras. With the exception of the nikon AW1, none feature a sensor larger than 2/3“. I don‘t really get why noone has managed to bring a 1“ variant to market yet, but apparently it is either too difficult or has no market.

11. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

I could ruggedize a potato, but it doesn't mean it's useful for photography.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. PakkyT

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    A potato is not a camera, so a pointless analogy.

I would hardly call this camera useless for photography. Certainly it is not up to the standards of some other cameras of course, but most of those other cameras you are comparing this one with are not meant to do things this one can. Which one of your micro-4/3rds bodies do you take swimming with you without a case? Most of them you can not even use in the rain.

If I had to guess it is because the market for rugged cameras are primarily aimed at people who normally don't know (let alone) care about larger sensors. When at the beach, swimming your pool, skiing, mountain biking, etc. these people are looking to simply capture the moment, not make some fantastic masterpiece. These type of cameras including GoPros (same sized sensor by the way) do the job very well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Frankly, the Nikon AW1 and the couple of ruggedized lenses they made for it was a pretty good Nikonos successor for the digital world. Probably it's main limitation was the fact that Nikon was intentionally over-pricing and crippling the non-weather-proofed Nikon 1 cameras so as to not impinge upon their D5xxx and D3xxx APS-C DSLRs sales, and the price points of the Nikon J-series served as an over-inflated floor on what Nikon would do with the AW1.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2015
    Troy, NY
    Jock Elliott
    I'm in.

Finally a manufacturer who understands that, if you can't see the rear screen in the bright sunlight to compose the shot, you have to rely on "Go full wide; spray and pray." (This isn't theoretical; I've been there, done that, trying to frame a shot one handed while holding on to a kayak paddle.)

I can also see this as a backup camera for anyone who will be in extreme conditions and absolutely has to get the shot . . . just in case the "big gun" camera gets splashed with salt water or exposed to high pressure fresh water.

Luminous Landscape used to sponsor sea-based trips to Antarctica (perhaps they still do); I seem to recall reports of some folks shooting with rugged cameras on days when the seas were rough and threatened to expose their "good" cameras to salt water during the trip to shore in a zodiac.

The announcement of this camera is very good news, for me at least. I see this as an every-day-carry camera; one that can ride in a shirt pocket and I don't have to worry if I get caught in a cloudburst or sprayed by a waterfall.

I've had very good luck with Panasonic fixed-lens small-sensor cameras (The FZ150 and FZ200), but the FZ200 did pick up a dust particle on its sensor twice. The weather sealing ought to eliminate that. Further, since there is no lens that has to trundle out before you can use the camera, my guess is that it will be pretty much instantly available for use as soon as you press the power button.

As to "being sat on by a fat guy" . . . well . . . sometimes I am that guy. A couple of times in a decade I've taken a tumble with a camera in hand. Nothing was broken either biologic or photographic, but still . . .

So, bottom line: Lord willin' and the creek don't rise, I will likely be an early adopter of this camera.

Cheers, Jock

15. ralf-11

ralf-11 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 16, 2017
    Is it better than an Oly TG? TG-5 now?

The Oly has GPS, but this would have Panny menu arrangement so I might not have to hunt too much...

16. PakkyT

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    I don't know if I would call it better, but the Panny comes with a built in EVF where as the Oly you have to use the back LCD. While the Oly has the faster aperture lens (f/2.0) if I was in the market for a tough camera, I think personally I would opt for the Panny because for ME the EVF is a key feature.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    The TS-7's 1:2/3 sensor is vastly larger than any phone sensor. Lumping the two into the same class is like lumping m4/3 sensors in with those in a Hasselblad.

18. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

I can’t tell if you are joking, but that’s not even close to true.

19. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    Yeah, it was a bit exaggerated. Cell phones vary, but typically have a sensor diagonal between 5.5mm and 6mm. The TS-7's sensor is 7.6mm, so the comparison is like m4/3 to APS-c.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.