panasonic 8mm fisheye on the OM-D

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by microfourthirdsnut, Oct 8, 2012.

1. microfourthirdsnut

microfourthirdsnut Mu-43 Regular

Oct 8, 2012
    I did a search and did not find much on this camera lens combination, any one use it?
    Any problems on the OM-D?
    I am new on here this is my first day. I also did a search on the Panny 7-14mm - OM-D combination, found a bit more on that one. I was wondering how many use it without doing photoshop to remove the issue it has on the OM-D?
    I hate getting computer butt fixing pics. My thing is take the picture and get it right without using photoshop.

OM-D ,
    Panny 12-35mm
    Panny 100-300mm
    Panny 20mm
    Panny pz 14-42mm may sell that one now that I have the 12-35mm.

Wish list 8mm fisheye, 7-14mm and 35-100mm :biggrin:
  2. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Hi Jan
    Can't help with your query re the combination of lenses and OM-D but can recommend the 8mm fisheye which I use on my Panasonic's
    I see that you joined only today -
    Welcome to the forum and the world of Micro Four Thirds
  3. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I use the 7-14 on the OM-D. There is a bit of a propensity for CA. When it does pop up, typically I go B&W. I buddy of mine recently purchased the Samyang 7.5 fisheye. That is a very sharp lens. The Samyang doesn't AF, but with a fish, zone focus work extremely well. The Samyang is significantly less expensive than the Pany.

My buddy's GX1 w/Samyang fish images are here:
    11th Anniversary of the Afghanistan War Protest - Tom Yi, LAShooter

A few from the Pany 7mm-14mm:

OM-D @ 7mm, 1/60, f/4, ISO 1600

OM-D @ 7mm, 1/125, f/11, ISO 400

OM-D @ 7mm, 1/60, f/4, ISO 1600

4. okief

okief Mu-43 Rookie

any opinions or experience with the oly 9-18 (apart from that it's just not wide enough...) and how it compares to the 7-14?
  5. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    No CA correcting, if the image has CA I turn it into a B&W.

OM-D @ 7mm, easier to make a B&W

I'm thinking of purchasing the Samyang fish, just as a fun fish to have, while the 7-14 is quite practical if you like wide.

Give some serious thought to the Oly 75mm, the 75mm will give Leica lenses a run for their money.

OM-D w/ Oly 75mm, 1/180, f/4.5, ISO 1600

OM-D, w/ Oly 75mm, 1/1000, f/2.8, ISO 1600

OM-D, w/ Oly 75mm, 1/350, f/2.8, ISO 1600

PS- If you're in Southern California, we can arrange some play time.
  6. CPWarner

CPWarner Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    The Panasonic 8mm fisheye is a popular lens with divers to get ultrawide images underwater. I have seen lots of images on several scuba forums from 8mm on EM-5's. Nothing but rave reviews, but this is different from topside as one uses a dome port and have the optical impact of the water.
  7. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    funny you ask, i have the exact setup like you.

P12-25, P100-300, just sold the P20 (mistake), hopefully trying to get the super hyped P25 to see what the whole fuzz is all about, and yesterday got my S7.5 cause in my extensive wondering about the O9-18 vs the P7-14 having the latter that terrible thing going on with the OMD and for such and expensive lens was a deal breaker. I think with some de fishing if you dont like the fish eye original look you can certainly get that W-I-D-E shots youre looking.

sorry as for the question P8 or S7.5 i found a thread here pointing that they are pretty much the same, giving more sharpness to the S7.5 across the whole frame compared to the pana, but the pana has AF and the S7.5 is a manual lens. if AF and less corner sharpness is worth $500 go ahead. but i would definitely recommend the S7.5 for $300.
  8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    No personal experience with the 9-18, but I hear that both lenses are very close IQ-wise. The Pany is wider, bigger, more expensive and you have to DIY a filter kit. When you're into the ultra wides, 2mm will make a difference.

9. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand