Panasonic 7-14mm vs 8-18mm + prime for both

memzinla

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Hello,

Recently, I bought the Panasonic 10-25mm F1.7 and the pictures are so good!! The lens is not as heavy as I thought it would be, but I just don't like the size. I want something that's a tad smaller. The lens fits ALL I want except for size.

I mostly shoot wide and I want a "fast wide" lens.

I thought of the following options:
1) Panasonic 7-14mm with an Olympus 17 F1.2
2) Panasonic 8-18mm with a Panasonic 20mm F1.7

Is there something else you suggest? I did try the Sigma 16mm F1.4 for a while, but it felt a little long on the E-M5. Maybe it's better on the E-M1. I wish there was a 10mm F1.7 prime. I've never tried the Olympus 8mm F1.8. When defishing does it give you the raw file or just the jpg?

mumu

Mu-43 Top Veteran
8-18 + 15/1.7. If you're shooting with a Panasonic camera and don't need screw-in filters then the 7-14 would be a practical choice and will be a bit smaller in size.

LilSebastian

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
John
Man, the pace at which you buy and sell cameras and lenses is incredible! Thank you for supporting the economy. I'd love to see a history of your gear, but most importantly what it is that you are hoping to achieve with each move?

When you leave the house, are you just looking for interesting subjects or having something specific in mind (sports, flowers etc.)? Must each lens be super bright in aperture? Is the flexibility of zoom more important than ultimate IQ or light gathering of a prime?

memzinla

Mu-43 Top Veteran
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I love the Panasonic 15mm! I also love the Olympus 12mm F2.

I know huh? I've had so much gear!! I feel like I've tried almost all the lenses I've been wanting to try. Most of the pictures that I take are pretty random. No sports or flowers. Mostly street photography, and I do like taking pictures at night which is why I wanted a fast lens. When I use a zoom lens, I tend to leave it at the widest and never really use the other focal lengths.

I can see myself using the current lens for concert photography, but I won't be going to one for maybe a year. haha

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
8-18 over the 7-14 if you have any desire to fit filters. The 8-18 is also a lot lighter. Both are excellent optically. Primes? - I was never wild about the 20, but YMMV. The Oly 17/1.8 is very nice, as is the Pl 15/1.7. In back-to-back tests I found the sharpness very similar between them despite what some reports say. Maybe I got lucky with my 17?

memzinla

Mu-43 Top Veteran
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't really use filters, I would love the Panasonic 12mm F1.4 lens. I did have it for a while, but ended up selling because of the price. I kept wondering if I really wanted to keep it for the F1.4 when I could have the Olympus F2 while not the same, cheaper. If the Panasonic was around 400 used then I would buy that. haha.

Yup, I tend to always stay on the wide side.

I feel like that would be my ideal set up... the P7-14mm with the PL 15mm. I haven't seen a cheap 7-14mm anymore.

I agree Toddster! A small, weather sealed, and inexpensive 10mm F1.7 lens would be amazing!! That would stay on my camera at all times.

mumu

Mu-43 Top Veteran
8-18 over the 7-14 if you have any desire to fit filters. The 8-18 is also a lot lighter. Both are excellent optically. Primes? - I was never wild about the 20, but YMMV. The Oly 17/1.8 is very nice, as is the Pl 15/1.7. In back-to-back tests I found the sharpness very similar between them despite what some reports say. Maybe I got lucky with my 17?
When you say the 8-18 is a lot lighter, are you comparing it to the Olympus 7-14? Because the 8-18 is 15g heavier than the Panasonic 7-14 (which is what the OP was asking about).

If size, weight and lens speed really matter I'd skip all the above ultra-wide zooms and go with:

Laowa 7.5mm f/2 to start, and then add any 1 or 2 of the following:
Oly 12mm f/2 or PL 15mm f/1.7
P20mm f/1.7 ii or PL 25mm f/1.4 ii
PL 12-60mm f/2.8-f/4.0

Most of the aforementioned ultra-wide zooms light gathering advantage is lost once you zoom in even a little. While still forcing you to deal with distortion that a fixed focal length prime would not.

If you need compact indoor speed, than the Laowa 7.5 f/2 and PL 15 f/1.7 have it all day over the P 7-14 or PL 8-18. Remember, the 8-18 is essentially F4 at everything above 10mm So both lenses are just big slow F4 lenses when not used ultra-wide. Heck even the PL 12-60mm f/2.8-f/4 zoom is faster at 12mm than either of the P7-14mm or PL8-18mm and it is also stabilized to get an extra 2-3 stops.

TBH the perceived convenience of ultra-wide zooms is somewhat overstated because people tend to take a little more time setting up ultra-wide shots (unless we're talking about event shooting which is where the fast Leica 10-25mm shines.) Compared for speed and IQ, the P7-14mm or PL8-18mm v.s. a 2 lens set of compact primes like the Laowa 7.5mm + PL 15mm for everything that isn't run-and-gun, and the 2 lens prime set comes out on top (IMO)

Last edited:

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
When you say the 8-18 is a lot lighter, are you comparing it to the Olympus 7-14? Because the 8-18 is 15g heavier than the Panasonic 7-14 (which is what the OP was asking about).
Yes, sorry - I meant the Oly 7-14. Sorry. I'd strongly suggest not getting the Panasonic 7-14 if you're using an Olympus body due to the dreaded purple ghosting problem. I ran a Panasonic 7-14 for many years and got some great shots with it, but sometimes those purple ghosts just completely ruined a shot and no matter how hard I tried in PP I just couldn't remove it.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
I've never tried the Olympus 8mm F1.8. When defishing does it give you the raw file or just the jpg?
When you use in-camera defishing, the RAW is NOT defished (assuming you are shooting raw+jpg, obviously). So you get the best of both worlds. If you are shooting non-defish mode, you get fishy jpgs and raw, of course.

It often happens to me that the defished jpgs will not have my feet or fingers in the shot, but the raws will. You have to be very careful about this since you won't see your feet or fingers in the viewfinder (when shooting in defishing mode), while in fact they are actually there.

JohnJeffrey

Mu-43 Regular
Hello,

Recently, I bought the Panasonic 10-25mm F1.7 and the pictures are so good!! The lens is not as heavy as I thought it would be, but I just don't like the size. I want something that's a tad smaller. The lens fits ALL I want except for size.

I mostly shoot wide and I want a "fast wide" lens.

I thought of the following options:
1) Panasonic 7-14mm with an Olympus 17 F1.2
2) Panasonic 8-18mm with a Panasonic 20mm F1.7

Is there something else you suggest? I did try the Sigma 16mm F1.4 for a while, but it felt a little long on the E-M5. Maybe it's better on the E-M1. I wish there was a 10mm F1.7 prime. I've never tried the Olympus 8mm F1.8. When defishing does it give you the raw file or just the jpg?
Rent your candidates if you can. After using them and taking notes, you may save a bundle$ ... or not!

molmi

New to Mu-43
If you wish there was a 10mm F1.7 prime, maybe you can consider the Laowa 9mm f/2.8 or the Voigtlander 10mm f/0.95

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom