1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 7-14mm replacement or new model on the way?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by kleox64, Sep 13, 2012.

1. kleox64

kleox64 New to Mu-43

Aug 17, 2012
    Guys any ideas as to whether a new version of the current 7-14mm is on the way, looking to get my first UWA lense.

No camera as of yet, probably yhte GH3 or OMD.

Im interested in the olympus four thirds 7-14mm second hand, yes its big and heavy but overall seems to be better the the m43 panasonic.

Also with the new X series lenses (12-35mm, 35-100mm) there seems to be missing an UWA to go with them.

Can we expect an X 7-14mm f2.8/3.5 to come along?

2. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    a 7-14 2.8 would be huge, and a 3.5 wouldn't make sense. Appearently, if you want the Pani 7-14 avoid the OMD. I don't really think a revision is going to happen any time soon, any improvement will put the lens in the $1500 range, I'm not sure that makes sense when there are other wholes to fill in the lens line up.

3. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Why would the 7-14 be incompatible with the OMD?

4. I don't think that the 7-14mm has any specific problems on the E-M5. The biggest issue that I noted was some occasionally spectacular lens flare, presumably linked to the bulbous front element. This is going to happen on any camera that it is mounted on.

5. kleox64

kleox64 New to Mu-43

Aug 17, 2012
    any thoughts on the Olympus 7-14mm? apart from the size of course. Looks like a very well built lense and takes some fab pictures from what Ive seen on flicker.

Will be buying 2nd hand so take this into account, its £1500 brand new.

6. mfj197

mfj197 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2012
    Guildford, UK
    Michael
    There are a few threads around at the moment both here and at dpreview with specific issues regarding the Panasonic 7-14mm paired with the E-M5. There are some good examples in this thread at dpreview, with a few other examples in this thread at mu-43 (although it takes them a little while to bottom things out).

There is speculation it might be due to reflections from the sensor bouncing back off the rear element, and for some reason the E-M5 sensor might reflect a different frequency of light. If this is the case then I would imagine the same problem would affect any camera with the E-M5 sensor (i.e. the new PENs if they use it). How much of an issue it is probably depends on the type of photographs you take!

Michael

7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Not really, no. The need for wider apertures with UWA lenses is fairly limited - you can already shoot at slower shutter speeds with camera shake, and DoF is quite deep even at f/2.8. More to the point, there have been no rumors or other indications that the lens will be replaced.

Be aware that there appear to be some bad interactions between the E-M5 and the 7-14 with lens reflecting off the back off the sensor creating odd flare spots. This does not currently appear to be an issue with any other bodies.

DH

8. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    The 7-14 works awesome on the omd. I shot some street with the combo yesterday, and yes there is some ca I'm ultra high contrast areas. I found banding in only 1 shot of 69 taken with the combo, but in raw it takes a real good screen or print to even notice. I love the flair of this lens it's beautiful

P8260014.

typed on my phone, sorry.

9. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    I love the lens, and I can't say either way as I don't use that body, just something to be noting. The results in the previously linked threads are pretty bad. The OP was considering does not have either the lens or body remember.

10. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I used to own the Oly 4/3 7-14 in my 4/3 days and now I have the Pany m7-14, I really can't see any reason to get the Oly 7-14 over the Pany 7-14.
    Both are very good lenses and frankly I think any difference in IQ would be nit picking. I'm more than happy with the m version, small, light and a great lens, the 4/3 version is large, heavy, needs an adapter and is a great lens, go for the Pany!

Paul

11. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    this omd and the "seven" problems and awful flares can definitely ruin a picture. what i can read in between the lines is that this lens without filters and this terrible flare problem wont be able to shoot sunsets or sunrises landscapes?. isnt that part of its main duty? I know UWAs are prone to flares and stuff but as bad as those tinted purple ones randomly across the frame?.

Ive read its behaviour is better with pany cameras? maybe is worth getting a GX1 just to go with that lens?.

dang this UWA thing in m43 is quite confusing!.

12. BlairMacKay

BlairMacKay Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2010
    Calgary, Alberta
  13. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    It's quite distinctive, isn't it? I'm guessing you haven't seen this sort of thing with the GH1 or E-PM1?

DH

14. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    thats terrible man!. i might get a gx1 to go with this lens maybe?. or just get the O9-18?.

15. Sorry, I'm not sure. I only got to borrow it briefly. The E-M5 was the only camera I tried it on. Most shots were fine, but this occurred when the sun was out of and just above the frame.

16. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I really don't expect a 7-14mm replacement from Panasonic any time soon. There's been no rumors or murmurings to that effect, and the existing lens remains one of the best zoom lenses in all of m4/3 so I don't see it crying out for an update. At any rate, I wouldn't hold off on a purchase waiting for a new 7-14mm to come out.

I'm not familiar with the Oly 7-14mm to compare and contrast, but the Panasonic 7-14mm is an exceptional lens. It's prone to flare and has no filter threads due to the bulbous front element, but in terms of performance and quality there's nothing bad I can say about it. The f/4.0 speed is fine for an UWA and a faster version just wouldn't be all that compelling to me - and that's coming from somebody that LOVES fast lenses :biggrin:

17. I hesitate to even call it flare, because it is unlike any flare effect that I have seen before.

18. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I don't mind the sun flare from this lens, which I thought add character to the shots, but this is the type of reflection that people are talking about:
    P8080018-5_01.

I didn't realize this problem until my recent California trip, when I used this lens indoor extensively... I need to try it on my other Olympus cameras to see if this issue is specific to the E-M5 pairing or not...

19. mfj197

mfj197 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2012
    Guildford, UK
    Michael
    From what I've seen on the forums it is specific to the E-M5 - which, if the new PENs use the same sensor, may mean it appears with them as well. I've just bought this lens for use with a G3 (waiting for delivery) and if, as I expect, I love it then I may have to steer clear of the E-M5.

Michael