1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 7-14mm opinion

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by fastcar888, Apr 9, 2011.

1. fastcar888

fastcar888 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2011
    Florida
    If you own this lens would you buy it again or something else? Do you find yourself using it often? Thanks.

2. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    • Like Like x 1
  3. RonSmith

RonSmith Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 7, 2010
    Michigan
    • Like Like x 3
  4. fastcar888

fastcar888 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2011
    Florida
    You have really developed a photographer's eye with this lens. Some really super shots. It opens up a new world. Do you fine it a hassle to carry it Ron?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I sold it, but I've never been much for ultrawide shooting. It's the best performing ultrawide zoom I've ever used.

• Like Like x 1
  6. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    I did own it. I then sold it. I bought an Olympus 9-18mm, which was.....OK. I then sold that.

I then worked out (quite recently) how to get rid of the CA and fringing that frustrated me with the 7-14mm, so consequently I'm thinking of buying it again.

However there's talk of them updating it, so I might wait till then.

7. Conrad

Conrad Mu-43 Veteran

I use it 50% of the time when I'm shooting more seriously. That probably makes me a wide angle guy. I just like the perspective. It is a good walk around lens which balances nicely on my GF1. It feels solid without being heavy. Far from pocketable, though. I definately would buy it again.

Some samples below.

P10303212. P1030849. magnolia.

• Like Like x 3
  8. fastcar888

fastcar888 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2011
    Florida
    Really interesting perspectives Conrad. Very nice shots.

9. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Love it. The universal wide-angle. Expensive, but not nearly so much as Nikon's full-format equivalent. And if we compare volume and weight, it's different worlds.

I did consider switching to the M-Zuiko 9-18, smaller and Pol-filter compatible in the convenient 52 size.
    But no: f/5.6 is a bit restrictive.
    Also, the 7mm short setting on the Panny allows for 6-shots one-row panoramas, or 6 + 1 zenith + 2 nadir spheres.
    Just like a fisheye, except no 8 mm fisheye I tried is as sharp. I didn't test Panasonic's but it couldn't be as flexible anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bill

Bill Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill (really)
    Yes, it's an investiment

I don't use it "often," but it's useful often enough. I also have the 14-140mm. so the two of them do just about everything.

Because it's an investment, I suggest that you have a look at "How to Use Ultra-Wide Lenses" by Ken Rockwell.
    [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=+4]

[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+4]Finally, Panasonic is reissuing the 7-14mm with stabilsation. You might want to have a look at that or have the benefit of the old stock going at reduced prices.

Good luck.
    [/SIZE][SIZE=+4] [/SIZE][/FONT]

• Like Like x 2
  11. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Agree with all of the above ^^^. Use mine rarely but it is very contrasty giving good landscape images. I got mine s/hand and it is a keeper.

12. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Contrarywise to my post elsewhere, like in:
    (it's my opinion and I differ...)
    What if one kept the sidestand, while trying to keep some motion? Thanks the 7-14, wide end: Kawasaschooner.

• Like Like x 1
  13. John Jarosz

John Jarosz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2010
    Chicago Area
    Could you elaborate on this?

Thanks

john

14. StephenL

StephenL Mu-43 Regular

Sep 1, 2010
    I just love it. No.1 lens on my GH2.

15. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    Like a lot of super wide angles the lens is prone to purple/blue fringed edges in certain situations. Bare branches against the sky is one. By turning the Purple and Magenta down to zero in Photoshop ACR and ticking the defringe all edges box I managed to eliminate it.

If your picture has a lot of purple and magenta in it, theres a problem!!

• Like Like x 2
  16. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    any links for this? at 7-14mm, I don't feel I'd need OIS. Though, not sure how much old stock would go for reduced pricing, I don't forsee a whole lot of 7-14's hitting the used market, heh. There are so few of them to begin with relative to canikon.

though, now that I think about it, it might be geared toward video users with the AF100 out there now. OIS would then be quite useful for some.

17. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I like it and find it indispensible for certain applications. Excellent IQ. I don't use mine a lot, but when you need the wide FOV ~or~ when you want to create some wonderful drama with perspective (I love this effect!), it's sweet. A 7-14 and 14-140 gives a shooter a heck of a lot of great imaging potential (14mm-280mm equivalent) with two sharp zoom lenses. If buying one is financially comfortable for you, I'd say go for it.

• Like Like x 1
  18. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    That's what I'm going for!! I've been torn for weeks on the same question; Panny 7-14 or Oly 9-18... I must have been back and forth a half dozen times. In the end, I think that 2mm more wide angle is just irreplaceable compared to costing more and not being able to take filters. When in use, they come out to be about the same size after you've added a hood to the Oly. Of course, the unbelievably small travel size of the 9-18 when collapsed is a sight to behold.

My effective FL will be a pretty useful 14-280. If I some day add the 100-300, it would go from 14-600. Not sure I have much need of such a long lens just yet. Perhaps when that African safari rolls around...:smile:

19. One of the things I like about the 9-18mm (I have the 4/3 version but the same principle applies) is that it ends at your classic ~35mm equivalent FOV which has become one of my favourite perspecives. Still wide but also long enough to get some degree of subject isolation when you are up close.

20. Jimboh

Jimboh Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2010
    Florida
    7-14 vs 9-18

I bought both and had a shootout. In short, if the Panny was within $100 USD of the Oly, I would have kept the Panny solely for that extra 2mm on the wide side. It makes a difference. Both go about as wide as you can go without severe fisheye (unless you want distortion).

But otherwise you're starting to split hairs between these lenses. Panny is a little sharper, but not noticeable in everyday use. I am sure you know the features of both.

I was disappointed with both on the minimum F/4, but because they are so wide, I jack up the ISO to 1200 (see Las Vegas Fremont St photos) and really don't notice the grain since I don't print much. I don't think IS is necessary. I've handheld at 1/9 and gotten sharp photos.:thumbup:

I think the polarizer is nice, but due to the extreme WA, it tends to darken the corners too much.
    As far as the CA complaints, use Adobe lens profiler and lightroom.

I AM happy overall with the Oly 9-18. I ALWAYS take this lens everywhere, even if I don't have plans to use it. First, it's the size of a Gerber baby food jar, so it's nothing to tote along.
    Finally, It's just so darn useful. You can shoot straight on and get that UWA, or tilt and get UWA with intended distortion to call out photo elements. Like having two lenses. Just be careful with people close up.

100821_Las_Vegas-40. 100822_Las_Vegas-89.

• Like Like x 2