1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 7-14mm discontinued?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Ranger Rick, May 14, 2012.

1. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    Rick
    Your website says this lens is discontinued. Is this correct, or perhaps a "glitch"?

2. Chuck-B&H

Chuck-B&H Sponsor

Apr 28, 2012
    Hello,

Yes, our data base here shows the lens as discontinued as well.

3. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Wow, that's a surprise. Any idea if the reason is the introduction of a newer version of the same lens, perhaps one with IS or weather-sealing?

4. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I don't think IS is really called for at those focal lengths (in spite of what the IBIS crowd says), but given the realities of the market I guess it wouldn't surprise me if Panasonic is adding it. If that's true, though I'll happily stick with my existing version, as I rarely need to shoot slower than I can handhold that lens.

5. Chuck-B&H

Chuck-B&H Sponsor

Apr 28, 2012
    Hello,

At this time I do not know what Panasonic's plans are. If or when I find out if a new lens is coming, I'll post it.

6. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    C'mon man, that argument's dead and buried. Check out the thread titled "pin-sharp picture at one second" or something like that. Taken with a WA 12mm. You'd have to agree there's no way in hell he gets that picture without some form of stabilization.

IBIS/IS gives a relative advantage, not an absolute one. It gives 2-4 stops, and those stops apply whether they're being used on a 200mm lens or a 9mm lens.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DaveL

DaveL Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2012
    Rhode Island
  8. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I suspect a new 7-14 might fall in line with the whole "X" line. Panasonic's video arm would likely love to see OIS in the 7-14. Not sure how much it matters with all the video rigs, but I'd gather anything handheld would be helped.

Hopefully its replacement is just as good or better, though. The 14-42x was certainly disappointing (though, I'll give it that it's extremely compact, but not a tradeoff I think I'd want for the cost).

9. dbellva

dbellva New to Mu-43

Apr 20, 2012
    Midlothian, VA
    Panasonic 7-14mm Now in stock?

The B&H website now shows the Panasonic 7-14mm as in stock, but at a higher price. Is this accurate information?

10. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    True, but for my needs I don't often find myself shooting at 1 second. As for not getting that picture without stabilization, that's simply hogwash. I shot sharp 1 second or longer exposures 40 years ago. There's this thing called a tripod.....

11. Chuck-B&H

Chuck-B&H Sponsor

Apr 28, 2012
    I checked with our buyer and the lens was listed as no longer available from Panasonic. The lens did become available again and our buyer brought it in. Prices are subject to fluctuate and the lens did go up in price since the last time we carried it.