1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 7-14mm discontinued- ??

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Ranger Rick, May 14, 2012.

1. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    Rick
    B&H's site reports this lens is discontinued by the manufacturer. Had I missed this?

2. Wandering Aengus

Wandering Aengus Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2012
    They do this sometimes. I don't know the reason. Might be a computer glitch or someone working on the computer system or something.

A month or so ago, they had the Epson 3880 printer shown as discontinued. It wasn't, and it was back on their site shortly.

3. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    Hope not, that is an absolutely fabulous lens.

4. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    Put the question to them in the ask B&H forum :)

5. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    I ran into this situation with the lumix 14-45 with B&H in the past, and the explanation I got at the time is " we don't know when we will get them so we just list it as discontinued until we have confirmation we can order them, vs we can order but don't know when they will arrive which we list as back ordered". A little contrived, but then they don't have to deal with upset buyers.

6. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    I was wondering as well whether it's just out of stock for a while or there's really an update to it coming.

43rumors suggested OIS, but it doesn't make sense for UWA, weatherproof or a different construction that takes filters would make sense. I doubt these because I don't think they can afford to spend so much money on such a low volume lens which is unique in the system. I don't think there's much hesitation for who want it for the 7mm & can afford it.

7. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Clinging tightly to my much appreciated 7-14..... :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  8. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
    It's not listed on Panasonic's website either. Hmmmm.

9. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    +1

If true, it would be nice to kinow why :confused:

10. Dangermouse1968

Dangermouse1968 Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2011
    there are 6+ still listed on Amazon UK so if people are thinking of grabbing one whilst they still can there are a few still available.

It's a shame though. I was thinking of getting one in a year or so and actually thinking a shopping trip to NY would be good :)

11. marz

marz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2011
    Pyrenees, France
    Marcel
    Damn... I have been browsing high and low for a couple of weeks to find a special deal on this lens Here in Europe, but sofar to no avail... And now this?

Same happened to the GH2 I wanted to buy a few weeks ago that went "discontinued" too with no announcement for a replacement, I wish they'd come up with new stuff before discontinuing the old models. Makes it so hard to know what to do, and specially when to strike... LOL Maybe that's the purpose of the exercise?

12. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Possibly, they're revising the lens to include filter threads? Or OIS? We shall see. In the meantime, I sure won't be letting my 7-14 slip away.

13. Wandering Aengus

Wandering Aengus Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2012
    And it's back on B and H's website. It is shown as back ordered with a new higher price.

14. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I love my 7-14mm, but gotta say I wouldn't mind a MkII with sealing and the ability to mount ND filters (slide-in rather than front mount?) :smile:

15. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
  16. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Sometimes it seems like Panasonic isn't even trying to sell this stuff.

Fred

17. Vulpix

Vulpix Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    Like the Sigma 15-30 lenses? I love the idea of slipping a piece of filter at the rear element!

18. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I was thinking like the new Pentax DA-645 25mm f4, which I'm guessing is probably the same :smile:

19. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    Yeah figures. Maybe someone selected the wrong option from a drop-down list at B&H - discontinued vs backorder. I doubt they'd run out of the old ones and stop selling altogether them before the new one is out as there isn't a problem with these lenses that needs to be remedied.