1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 7-14mm and O.I.S.....Update

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Dave in Wales, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    The 7-14mm came today and what a little gem it is too, but It's not fitted with O.I.S.

My question is do I turn off the G3's in camera stabiliser.

I guess I do, seems a silly question somehow.

D in W

2. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    Pannys don't have IBIS.

3. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    I don't think any of the panny's have in camera stabilization, so I don't know how you'd turn it off. If the lens doesn't have OIS with a panny then you don't have stabilization.

4. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Yup, nothing in the way of stabilization in any Panasonic body, so if it's not in-lens, you don't have it...... it's a focal length you can safely handhold at relatively low shutter speeds anyway, and the F4 constant aperture isn't too bad, so unless you're intending shooting in very dark/dull conditions you should be fine - if not, time to get the tripod or the the flash out.

5. Dave in Wales

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    If thers's nothing in the way of stabilization in any Panasonic body then what have I got in my G3. :confused:

Back to my original question.....Do I set the Stabilizer to OFF when using my 7-14mm lens or does the lens tell the camera there is no O.I.S.

Here is page 69 of the G3 manual.

Stabilizer by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

6. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    Hi... Panasonic's stabilization is not in-body, it's optical... in the lens itself. the manual is referring to the lens with O.I.S. (Optical Image Stabilization). HTH.

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Panasonic uses lens-based stabilization, not camera-based stabilization. See Image stabilization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Oly uses sensor-based, Panny uses lens-based.

In some lenses, you turn on/off the LENS based stabilization through the camera, but the stabilization still happens in the lens (for those lenses with the mechanism).

For instance, the PL25, Panny 20 and the 7-14 are NOT stabilized. The 14-42, 14-45, 14-140 and PL45 are. The 14-42 kit lens does NOT have a lens based switch for turning stabilization on/off -- you have to use the body for that. I think the new X zooms are the same way -- with IS, but controlled from the camera, not a lens switch.

8. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    Ashland, OR USA
    David
    You may want to go back and read your manual again. It says that some interchangeable lenses have a stabilizer function, but says nothing about your camera having it.

Trust us. This subject has been beaten to death. No Panasonic ยต4/3 camera body has a built-in stabilization function. Really. Your manual is clear on this. The page you copied says that the 14-42mm and the 45-200mm lenses do have stabilization, which can be turned off. But the Panasonic bodies do not. They never have.

And your 7-14mm lens doesn't have stabilization either.

And when you mount a lens that doesn't have stabilization, the STABILIZER option in your REC menu is greyed out. It's not an option.

Bottom line: don't worry about it.

David

9. Dave in Wales

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Thank you, that's understood.

D in W

10. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I think the OP understands the body doesn't have IBIS. I think what he's asking is, if the lens doesn't have OIS, do you need to go into menu and set the OIS option to off.

The answer is no. That option only turns the in-lens OIS off, if for some reason you don't want to use it. If you're using a lens without OIS it doesn't matter how that option is set.