Panasonic 7-14 or Olympus 9-18 on M5MkII ??

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Photo.starling, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Photo.starling

Photo.starling Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 1, 2015
    Montreal, Canada
    Michel letourneau
    I'm probably not the first to ask...but...
    which one do you think is best ?
    The Panasonic is $175CDN, not a huge issue....
    the Olympus is very compact....which is very nice...

Have a Panasonic 20mm F/1.7 ASP (I really like it)
    and a Olympus 45 F/1,8 (very nice too)

camera is a Olympus M5MkII

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Hi, what do you want to shoot?
  3. Photo.starling

Dec 1, 2015
    Montreal, Canada
    Michel letourneau
    with ultra wide angle : lanscape and urban......sometimes street portrait
  4. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    I cheated, bought the 7.5 'bower' fisheye - saved even more! No zoom, not many straight lines.. but enough for me right now :)
  5. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

9mm to 7mm is kind of like 12mm to 9mm... if you want the widest field of view with straight lines, 7mm is kind of mandatory.
    9mm is much easier for filters for when you're doing long exposures (there are after market filter holders for large square filters for the 7-14 though).
    9mm has no purple blob flare with Olympus sensors (there is a rear UV gel filter workaround for the 7-14mm for this though).
    9mm is only so-so for sharpness in the corners beyond f/5.6 at 9mm, at f/4 it is noticeably worse in the corners. The 7-14 is better in this respect.

What it came down to me was - I like to use an ND10 now and again, but hate carrying and fitting square filters (used to carry a Cokin set), plus I use an Olympus body. I can live with the slightly narrower FoV and need to stop down. For anything ridiculously wide where absolute straight lines don't matter I use the 7.5FE.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  6. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm using the Pan 7-14mm on the E-M5 II. I like it. Compared to the Oly 7-14mm, the Panasonic 7-14mm is more compact. Yeah there's purple blobs, but I'm also getting that with my Oly 8mm fisheye, so I think it's more of an Olympus issue as opposed to a problem with the lens. Unless you do long daytime exposures, I'd opt for the Pan 7-14mm.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    My name is Paul and I'm a wide angle ditherer. I've had two copies of both of these lenses and I'm now running a 7-14. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. If max wide and best IQ are what you want, then the 7-14 is the way to go. If size, filter compatibility and flare resistance is what you want then go the 9-18.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Owned O9-18 for almost a year and P7-14 is the best.
    I would still consider O9-18 for it's compactness and easiness to take filters, but 7mm is addictive and hard to beat.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

I had that same decision and went with the Oly. The Panny 7-14 is just too big and difficult to fit filters. Plus I hate fixing blobs, purple or otherwise. That extra 2 mm was just not significant enough to outweigh the negatives.
  10. newphoto1

newphoto1 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 24, 2014
    For me it was a matter of cost and frequency of use. My wide angle lenses are the least used in my kit. While I have most of the other Pro lenses from Olympus, I went with the 9-18, rather than the 7-14 from Panasonic or Olympus. Just didn't make sense to spend over $1000 for a lens that would see only occasional use. The 9-18 has really good optical quality, takes filters, and is small and light weight.
  11. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Over $1000? You must be stuck in 2010! :)
    It's $697 on amazon currently (USA version) and was $547 just a month ago.
  12. Indianpeaksjoe

Indianpeaksjoe Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 1, 2012
    The 9-18mm is an amazing lens! It was my most used lens until I bought the 7-14mm F2.8.

I highly recommend the 9-18mm, it is $549 on amazon right now and is no slouch of a lens. They can be picked up used for less than $400. I like that I could use filters and forego a lens cap, and the small size was really nice.

I have the 7-14mm pro and 8mm pro, wide angle is apparently what I always gravitate to. So be forewarned, the 9-18 is a gateway drug :)

13. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    I have had the 7 - 14 but had to let it go last year due to having too much stuff and needing to release some cash short term
    I found that I achieved some very striking images from the Panasonic 7 - 14 which would not have been possible without the extreme wide end
    It is a fun lens to use for that reason
    I do notice some quite extreme purple blobs for example inside derelict buildings where there were bright shafts of light but I just made the most of the abilities of the lens in more favourable lighting conditions (this was a know problem with EM5 Mk1 - I am not sure whether the Mk2 is any better in this respect - I read an interesting article the other day with regard to the different cut off points for UV light wavelengths which explained why Olympus camera / sensors such as the EM5 filtered UV differently to Panasonic Bodies / Sensors)
    I would not hesitate to buy another and indeed will when one comes up on ebay at the right price and recommend the lens if you want to widen your horizons (in more ways than one !)
  14. Photo.starling

Dec 1, 2015
    Montreal, Canada
    Michel letourneau
    Thank you
    I ordered a 9-18 :)
    "Mint" on EBay
    I usually buy my stuff new
    Will see :)
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
  16. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama, USA
    I used the O. 9-18mm on both my E-M5 and E-P5 but switched to the P. 7-14mm when I upgraded to the E-M1 and I'm happy I did. If you're not a wide angle fan the O. 9-18mm will do you fine but if you are a wide angle fan get the P. 7-14mm and save yourself some grief. Or you could save some money on the O. 9-18mm and if you decide you need wider try the Samyang, Rokinon, Bower, Etc., 7.5mm FE. All versions of this 7.5mm FE lens are manual focus but sharp as a razor.
    Bobby :coffee-30:
  17. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    If street portrait and urban and landscape is your thing, then the 9-18mm would be ideal because it's got 9mm for wide landscape and 18mm for street portrait which is effectively a 36mm in full frame a classic focal length for street photography. 14mm I think is a bit too wide for street portrait. I do the same and I use an adapted Bower 14mm f/2.8 full frame lens with a focal reducer to get 10mm f/2 for my ultra-wide landscape and low light interior and milkyway shots and my 17mm 1.8 for street portrait. The 9-18mm takes filters as well and is very small and compact. If you are doing architectural work and close wide landscape however, the 7-14mm would be more ideal. I'm thinking of getting the 7-14mm just for the 7mm, but for now I have no reasons to because the 10mm is more than wide enough for my urban landscape shots.

Also, it's much harder to compose with a 7mm lens than you do with a longer focal length lens to be interesting.
  18. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    I use the 7-14mm on Olympus bodies with the rear-uv filter mod, works perfectly. I had the 9-18mm for a short while and compared the two and the 9-18mm wasn't nearly as wide so I sold it. The 7-14 is bigger and more expensive but not really by that much. The 9-18mm is smaller but the collapsing design is really annoying (you need to unlock it every time you use it) and it extends while zooming, while the 7-14mm has internal zooming.

The 7mm end is very very handy for cityscapes, interior shots or anywhere you don't have a lot of room to work. My 7-14mm stays at the wide end most of the time (I have other lenses for narrower focal lengths).
  19. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    I used to be a MAJOR wide-oholic. I always had the widest lenses for my Canon DSLRs and shot them all the time. Then I switched to Oly and was faced with the same dilemma and, to be honest, really, really, really wanted to convince myself to get the Panny. Here's why I went O9-18:

- It's compact and light (the collapsible design is brilliant)...I travel (backpack) a ton, and this was the whole reason for switching to M4/ why not make the most of it?
    - For the same $$ and size/weight as the P7-14, I could get the O9-18 *AND* the Rokinon 7.5 FE and choose which one to take with me.
    - P7-14 purple blobs...they're really annoying. No thanks.
    - I use ND filters all the time
    - The 15-18 range is actually very nice.
    - The O9-18 is stealthier. This makes it a better travel/street photography lens.
    - Too many people (including myself for years) shoot UWA all...the....time. This gets repetitive and boring. Absolutely they look stunning for a while, but I was getting bored of my own photos and realized that I was turning myself into a one-trick pony.
    - Yes, the P7-14 is sharper. No doubt about it. But...I sell photos/prints out of the 9-18 all the one's ever complained that they weren't sharp enough.

The O9-18 was my first (and for a while only) lens. I've taken around 30,000 shots with my OM-D, the vast majority of them with the 9-18. It has never given me the slightest bit of grief. It feels cheap, looks cheap, and, honestly, I was very doubtful when I bought it (my other wide angle at the time was a Canon 16-35L II). However, the O9-18 has proven itself to be an awesome little lens.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2