Panasonic 7-14 or Olympus 11-18 + Pansonic 12/2.5

hunyuan7

Mu-43 Regular
Trying to weigh value and usefulness: Panasonic 7-14 or Olympus 11-18 + Panasonic 12/2.5

I am planning to buy a Panasonic G3 and would like to shoot wide angle outdoors and indoors. Which you would go with or do you have any other ideas?

Holmes375

Mu-43 Regular
I'm facing the wide zoom decision, too. Common sense tells me the Olympus 9-18mm is the most versatile focal length range and logical choice given its price point and the fact it gives up very little in terms of performance to the more expensive Panasonic lens.

But.... that blasted 7-14mm just seems to have the draw of quality about it :)

Jonathan F/2

Mu-43 Legend
I'm facing the wide zoom decision, too. Common sense tells me the Olympus 9-18mm is the most versatile focal length range and logical choice given its price point and the fact it gives up very little in terms of performance to the more expensive Panasonic lens.

But.... that blasted 7-14mm just seems to have the draw of quality about it :)

The 7-14 is an optic beauty. It's worth the price of admission in my opinion.

hunyuan7

Mu-43 Regular
Do you find the 4.0 aperture sufficient for indoor low light photographs? I was considering the 14/2.5 for this reason.

Andrew Riddell

Mu-43 Regular
The difference between 9 and 7mm is wider than you might think!

The 7-14 is a class act (as good as the Oly FT equivalent for all practical purposes, and that's saying something!).

If you feel you need filters or the lightest weight, the 9-18 may suit you better. It's also a fine lens (I don't own it, but I have tried it).

As always, it depends on what subjects you like.

For what it's worth, I was touring Norfolk last weekend and found I used only the 7-14 and the Oly 14-150 (despite having some FT lenses & adaptor in the boot just in case). In Norwich Cathedral, in particular, and a couple of other restricted sites I needed that extra 2mm! If you're into architecture, it makes it so much easier to get your verticals vertical! Although landscapes aren't my thing, I suspect that the extra width wouldn't be so useful there.

Of course, all of this assumes that price is not a factor.

I hope these ramblings have helped.

Andrew

43hk

Mu-43 Veteran
The 7-14 Panasonic pulled me in to m43. I need a wide angle for work and this was the perfect combination of weight and angle. Then I discovered many other good things.

It's the lack of straightening required in photoshop that makes this a winner.

Don't be put off by the f4 designation. I've hand held shots at night and still managed to get most of them without blur.

I also use this to shoot at 12-14mm quite often. The good contrast makes this a good lens for black and white.

Worth every dollar. Perfect for Architecture, cars, interiors, street shooting and landscape.

htc

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Harry
AND the 9-18 is flimsy and ugly as hell. Okay, good, flimsy and ugly as hell.

Latest threads

Top Bottom