1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 7-14/4 zoom/autofocus noise

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by svetlin, Aug 18, 2011.

1. svetlin

svetlin New to Mu-43

Jun 14, 2010
    I bought recently a used Panasonic 7-14/4 lens which looks great optically and cosmetically.

However, I am worried about a crunching, or grinding noise coming out of the lens when I zoom at about 12mm. Also, the noise when auto-focusing is louder than my other m43 lenses.
    I've noticed some pre-release reviews on sites, like the Field Test on Adorama, and the test at whatcamera . com have noticed a zoom (but no auto-focus) noise, whereas later reviews everywhere notice how quiet the lens overall is.
    I am wondering -- do I have an early, or maybe even slightly defective sample which will get worse over time? How is the noise on your lens? Is there a way to find out a time code to see when the lens has been manufactured?

Thanks for any insight.

2. svetlin

svetlin New to Mu-43

Jun 14, 2010
    Seems like there was no problem

A bit of a bad form replying to one's own messages, but the info might be useful to another owner of the 7-14/4...

I must note that I made my initial comparison immediately after receiving the lens, and under extremely quiet conditions.

I decided to repeat them and now I am not observing any significant unusual auto-focus noise. However: If I zoom with the lens cap on, or I zoom immediately after I've taken the lens cap off, there is indeed zooming noise, especially around the 12mm mark -- but that quickly diminishes to imperceptible upon further use.

My guess is the lens cap, based on friction, causes the outer barrel to be squeezed closer to the inner one and staying like that for a while. And, upon zooming, there is a bit of a friction between the two as the inner barrel moves.

3. mftlandscaper

mftlandscaper Mu-43 Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    I know this is an old thread, but others might be interested to know that my 7-14 does this too. Sort of a soft crinkling/crunching sound when I turn the zoom ring. It seems to go away after a bit of use.

It doesn't bother me (I can only hear it in a quiet room) and I always put it down to a characteristic of the very compact lens construction.

4. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    Mine doesn't -- might be a good idea to have it checked. In Nikon, if that happens, it's usually the afs motor soon to go bust...

5. mftlandscaper

mftlandscaper Mu-43 Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    It's not connected with the AF, it's to do with the mechanical zoom mechanism. It's done it since brand new. The AF is whisper quiet. The zoom noise is hard to describe - crunching is the wrong word, it's a weird soft/muffled crinkling sound really. It really is a soft noise and it doesn't bother me. The lens hasn't had a lot of use, and hasn't really been "worn in" yet, so I suspect the noise will go away eventually.