1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 45mm Macro - any good for video?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Levster, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

I was at the park today with my son and had my GX-7 and Olympus 45mm with me. I've started messing around with taking videos and using the peaking function to manually focus. This works pretty well, but what I am finding is that the final footage is very shaky, which is obviously due to my shaky hands and lack of stabilisation! I really like the 45mm FOV and was wondering if the Panasonic 45mm would be any better for video seeing as that lens has built in stabilisation? I realise I could pick up a cheap 14-42 or 14-45 instead, but I do prefer primes and having a macro as well would be useful. Is anyone able to share any of their experiences in using the Panasonic 45mm to shoot videos and could tell me how effective the image stabilisation works? This question might be better placed in the video section of the forum, but it is lens related as well!

2. angusr

angusr Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2011
    45-175?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Mu-43 mobile app

3. Artorius

Artorius Mu-43 Regular

If this is asking what I believe it is asking then no, he is not referring to the Panasonic 45-175mm he is referring to the Panasonic Leica 45mm Macro lens. Sorry OP, but I do not have any experience with this lens.

4. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    Will shoot something and upload during the weekend. I don't use it for video as it's a quite long FL.

5. Levster

Thank you, I tend to only go out with my 17mm and 45mm and I use the 45mm as my tele lens. I don't notice the camera shake too much with the 17mm but the 45mm is really distracting! I'd like to stick to the 17 and 45 combination if possible, so I would like to avoid buying a zoom. I do have a 100-300mm but I am going to sell that, this extra money can be used towards the 45mm macro if it is suitable.

6. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    No problem... I have to warn you that if you plan to use AF in video it hunts quite a bit - like the PL25 - at least on the GX1. It may be much better on the GX7 though. I also noted the mega ois is not as good as on the newer lenses like the 12-35 or 45-175, but almost as good as the PZ14-42 (if that means something to you). It is a wonderful lens for general shooting and macro, and the one whose results I like most. You want me to compare it with one of the above mentioned or just with ois on/off?

7. Levster

A sample clip with and without stabilisation would be great. I'm still in two minds as to what I'll do. I can't really afford the 12-35 unless I sold all of my lenses, and I really don't think that I could give up my 17mm. The clutch mechanism for manual focus on the 17mm is excellent and f/1.8 is as slow as I can go in my house and still manage to keep ISO beneath 3200 for stills. I did used to own an OM 50mm macro and really enjoyed using it. I sold that when I got the Olympus 60mm but really didn't get on with the 60mm. Unfortunately I can't afford for my lenses to one trick ponies and the 60mm felt like an awkward length for portraits and chasing my son around the park with.

8. angusr

angusr Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2011
    Sorry. I know this wasn't what he was asking, but it seemed an alternative worth considering for stabilised video at 45mm which would also provide a second use not covered by the primes. I don't have experience of the macro, but I suspect that the stabilisation is not quite as good and that the video autofocus is likely to be slower. Since the OP wants a prime however, the only current option is the macro.

Sorry for the confusion.

9. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    Sorry for the delay (happy new year btw!), here are the ois on/off comparisons

[video=youtube_share;wpZkAIejh1k]http://youtu.be/wpZkAIejh1k[/video]

[video=youtube_share;ug_lv3ledIM]http://youtu.be/ug_lv3ledIM[/video]

10. Levster

Thank you! That does show an improvement but it doesn't seem to totally remove camera shake. I'm now tempted to get a Raynox adapter for my 45mm and replace my 17mm with an OIS capable lens.