1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 45-200 on EP2 (long post)

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by flatop222, Aug 8, 2010.

1. flatop222

flatop222 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 11, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    My first post was on the News and Rumors Forum on 5/12/10. By the end of the discussion I had pretty much decided on the EP2 w/EVF and 24-42 kit lens and would use my nikon legacy lenses until I determined what my next m4/3rds lens would be. Then I saw the report on the 14-150 lens and decided that would be an excellent all purpose lens.

As luck would have it, my daughter invited me on a cruise on the alaska inland waterway. Now what lens do I need? For those of you having done this cruise, is the 14-150 long enough? Should I be considering the Panny 45-200 instead? I am not normally interested in autofocus, but on a once in a lifetime trip like this, I think AF might have some advantages for wildlife photgraphy.

From the research I have done, the image quality of the 45-200 lens is good; however, how is the AF speed, especially compared to the Oly 14-150?

Look forward to hearing from those of you with experience using the Panny 45-200 on an EP2.

George

2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I have both the 45-200 and the 14-150. For a general purpose travel lens, no contest, the 14-150 is far more versatile and the IQ is roughly the same (which in my limited world means that when I look at shots taken with them and I don't use a microscope or examine every detail with a 100% crop, but rather just look at them in realistic formats, they look friggin' PERFECT!).

But for specific uses, the 45-200 does get you more reach and there are times and places you'll want more reach. I just got back from a 3+ week trip that included a 2 week cruise (not Alaska, but similar vantage points). I took the 14-150 for my walk around lens. I didn't take the 45-200. In retrospect, I should have. It would have never needed to leave the ship, but I took a fair number of shots from the veranda of our stateroom or from the upper decks of the ship. From those vantage points, the extra reach would have been nice in many cases. I also shot a lot of pics at my daughter's college graduation a couple of months ago. Before I had the 14-150, probably before anyone other than the inside testers had it. I was really glad to have the 45-200 - I needed every bit of reach I could get.

If you're going to buy only one of these lenses, get the 14-150 because its the most versatile lens you'll ever want. If you can buy both do it and take the 45-200 to Alaska - the shots of the glaciers from the ship will thank you for it.

-Ray

3. flatop222

flatop222 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 11, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    Hi Ray,

Thanks for the rapid response.

We are practically neighbors. I am 25 miles east of Philly. No one over here has much of a stock of m4/3rds gear. Do you have a local dealer with a decent amount of stock that you can recommend?

George

4. nishendu

nishendu Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2010
    Dallas TX
    Back from Alaska

I just came back from Alaska. 14-150 would probably be a lot easier to handle but I took both the lenses you mentioned. I wish I had used the 45-200 more often. Changing was a headache but I managed it by keeping the lens in my overdoat pocket in a plastic bag. I don't have 14-150. If I was doing it again, I would still take the two lens.

5. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I tend to buy most stuff (pretty much all of the big stuff - camera bodies and lenses) mail order, with most of that coming from Amazon or B&H in New York City. B&H shipping only takes a day to the Philly area. Amazon is great about returns (B&H may be too, but I don't think I ever had to return anything to them). I have seen an epl1 and a G1 in local shops when I was first looking at m43 gear, but I've never seen any lenses beyond the kit.

Sorry not to be more of a help, but good luck with the lens decision.

-Ray

6. flatop222

flatop222 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 11, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    Thank you - Nishendu and Ray