Panasonic 45-175mm X lens review

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by soundimageplus, Oct 12, 2011.

1. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    Soundimageplus: Panasonic 45-175mm X lens review

My first look at the new 45-175mm X lens from Panasonic.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/45203414@N06/6237262694/" title="Panasonic G3 Lumix 45-175mm X lens by soundimageplus, on Flickr"> 6237262694_0baa0cf02a_z. "640" height="508" alt="Panasonic G3 Lumix 45-175mm X lens"></a>

• Like Like x 9
  2. soundimageplus

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    • Like Like x 2
  3. garfield_cz

garfield_cz Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Pavel
    If I am understanding it right there is no on/off O.I.S. switch on the lens. In fact this means that you must always switch off Olympus IBIS otherwise it is over-stabilized by both systems which could lead to unwanted consequences :wink:

4. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
  5. soundimageplus

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    When the 45-175mm is fitted to the Olympus E-P3, the OIS in the Panasonic lens is inactive. There is no way for the camera to switch it on or off, and it defaults to off. When I use it on the E-P3 the IBIS in the Olympus works, as it works with any lens.

Panasonic have removed the switch on several of their recent lenses. I was never sure whether this switch made it work on Olympus cameras or not. But the Olympus IBIS system seems to work just as well as the lens system of Panasonic, so whichever m4/3 camera you use this lens with, it will have IS.

6. LovinTheEP2

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Wow.. that goes against what other sites had said and it seems that Pana never mentioned that either.

Does that mean, you can't X lens MEGA OIS on an EP3 so they only option is IBIS??

7. soundimageplus

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    It seems that way yes. But then that wouldn't be surprising. Would Olympus be inclined to put a means of communicating with a rival lens into their cameras?

Now Panasonic have removed the on/off switch, it would require Olympus to come up with a means of activating the Panasonic in-lens mechanism. Since they have already got their IBIS system which, as far as I can see, works just as well, why would they do that?

8. Amrak

Amrak Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 7, 2011
    Seattle, Washington
    What if you turn IBIS off, will Mega OIS turn back on?

9. soundimageplus

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    On the Olympus no it won't.

10. soundimageplus

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
  11. LovinTheEP2

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Surprising only that your experience goes against what was reported when the lens were announced. With respect to the Mega OIS, its work with other Pana lens on uPEN bodies so I don't see why the X Lens Mega OIS would be any different except you can't turn it off so in theory, the option is to turn off IBIS or else issues develop with 2 systems competing.

The only difference as far as I'm aware in lens compatibility is the inbody software lens correction that Pana does for its lens where Olympus doesnt correct it.

12. soundimageplus

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    Where did you see that the OIS works with Olympus bodies?

This is what Dpreview said:-
    UPDATE - We've asked Panasonic for clarification on compatibility, and have been informed "The lenses are compatible and will work with all Micro Four Thirds cameras."

Indeed, the power zoom works with the Olympus, there is even a readout in the viewfinder that says what focal length its zoomed to.

On the IS issue. These statements are from Olympus, which don't actually clarify the situation much.

"If you are referring to the image stabilisation, the camera has the IS
    built into the body. [IBIS] will over-ride any other IS system on lenses
    which has an IS system built into it."

"You can use the body's IS or the lens' IS. Which ever you choose to use,
    you will need to switch the 'other' off. The camera will not automatically
    switch this off on the lens if you wish to use the body's IS system and
    vice versa."

From:- Olympus E-PM1 with new Panasonic pancake lens: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

The 45-175mm has no switch. Therefore the only way to tell it to use OIS or not is via a menu. Olympus Pens have no such menu that can address the lens. So how does it know whether to be on or off?

The lens I have defaults to off when fitted to my Olympus camera. That is irrespective of whether IBIS is turned on or off. That has no effect on the lens.

I can't find anything, anywhere that says that this lens works with OIS on any Olympus camera. If you find something let me know! I'd be interested to try it.

However as I said before, it doesn't actually matter that much. I've tried the lens on a G3 and an E-P3, and the results are virtually indentical, apart from the problems I indicated before. There's a huge thread on this at Dpreview.
    45-175 power OIS, not impressed at all.: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
    This shows the problems people are having.

Its ironic that a Panasonic lens may work better on an Olympus camera with regard to image stabilisation!

13. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Not to hijack this thread, but SLRgear had something to say in terms of OIS and the 14-42mm panasonic zoom lens:

Information can be found at slrgear.com and going to 14-42mm lens to see the full review.

It appears they are seeing OIS wieredness even with the standard kit lens.

• Like Like x 1
  14. soundimageplus

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    Thanks for posting that, its very useful. I learnt recently about this shutter closing, and then opening again to take the picture. I saw it as an explanation for the slight delay that you get before shooting the image. I gather the Sony NEX-5n has a way round it.

Interesting that it impacts on sharpness as well. I have for some time had the impression that IS does reduce sharpness when its not needed, but I didn't really have any idea as to why. I do usually turn it off until I need it.

15. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Just did some testing with the Panny 45-175mm on the GH2 and I can't get really sharp pictures at around 1/160s or so and OIS on. Especially at 175mm clear double-line unsharpness can be seen. Will experiment further. So it seems that the problem is more related to the lens, not the camera.

16. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    I really hope there is a way to use the OIS of the X lens on an Oly body. IBIS is useless for video but OIS is not!

17. Dede

Dede Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    I'm really interested in getting the 45-175mm X lens for my new Olympus E-PM1. So I've read on some site that the overall image quality when you use the lens with olympus cameras is worse than if you use it with panasonic cameras, is that true? I would really appreciate an awnser, because I'd really like to get that lens for my E-PM1 (If it has good image quality).

Thanks in advance

18. soundimageplus

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    I certainly haven't noticed that. It produces great images on my E-P3.

19. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    It won't correct the CA like it would on a Panasonic body

20. soundimageplus

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    There isn't that much to correct.