Panasonic 45-175mm or Olympus 40-150

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by marcl, Oct 7, 2012.

1. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    I know the IQ topic and double line issue have been covered extensively in other posts but I could not find the answer to this question:

Can I completely disable the OIS Of the Panny 45-175 on an E-M5?

It seems to me that if I disable the IBIS, then the lens OIS is turned on. The lens does not have a switch to turn it off.

I am asking because I bought the Panasonic on the Amazon Gold Box deals last week. Wanting to see if the lens experienced the double line issue, I proceeded to take comparison shots with both lenses. Sure enough, on tripod, at 1/125, the Panny's images are blurry compared to the Oly. But if I take the Panny off the tripod, turn IBIS on, I actually get better results than with the Oly. It's a bit counter intuitive!
  2. frank2

frank2 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    I believe you should not use stabilization with a tripod. Try turning it off.
  3. Shank

Shank Mu-43 Regular

Oct 5, 2012
    Jimmy the Cricket
    I have the 45-175. IS is off by default on the 45-175 when used on the OM-D.
  4. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    That's what I did to compare the 2 lenses. But I think that when I turn off the IBIS on the E-M5, it turns the OIS on the lens on.
  5. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    OIS is off by default when the IBIS is on. But are you sure OIS is also off when IBIS is off? I think OIS turns on when IBIS is turned off, which would explain the blur I get on tripod. So then, how can I turn off OIS and IBIS to use this lens on a tripod?
  6. AndrewS

AndrewS Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2012
    You cannot completely disable OIS or IBIS

When powered on, a lens with OIS holds the IS lens element module in correct position by electromagnetic forces. A camera body with IBIS holds the entire sensor unit in place the same way. When powered down the lens or body will rattle indicating the IS elements are no longer restrained in place. At no time are the IS elements with either system mechanically restrained in normal operating position. Therefore they are prone to perturbation caused by shutter shock which may actually be worse on a tripod because the operator's hands are not on the device damping vibrations. The fix for the Panasonic G5 is to use the electronic shutter, for the EM5 use Anti Shock. For more information and discussion please refer to my blog at Camera Ergonomics Good luck.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    Thank you Andrew, very interesting blog.