Showcase Panasonic 45-175mm f/4-5.6

Peadingle

Mu-43 Regular
bos-winter-fog-1270647-070121.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Roddy
Midnight Macro Madness (in the land of curfew and decent cheese).

This is a detail from a €20 note (euro), photographed with the help of a 250 Raynox. The results have poured a little cold water over my lust for an Olympus 60mm - for now anyway. If any European m4/3 friend has this banknote to hand, see if you can identify the source - it is QUITE small :D

(I'm not sure the banknote was square to the lens, hence the focal fall-off on the right hand side. I was just playing about, in my defence.... :))

P1370160.JPG

Last edited:

Zman

Mu-43 Top Veteran

This is a detail from a €20 note, photographed with the help of a 250 Raynox. The results have poured a little cold water over my lust for an Olympus 60mm - for now anyway. If any European m4/3 friend has this note to hand, see if you can identify the source - it is QUITE small :D

(I'm not sure the banknote was square to the lens, hence the focal fall-off on the right hand side. I was just playing about, in my defence.... :))

View attachment 870888
I always enjoy seeing your pics. You really get the most out of this lens. I have one as well and love it.

This is a detail from a €20 note (euro), photographed with the help of a 250 Raynox. The results have poured a little cold water over my lust for an Olympus 60mm - for now anyway. If any European m4/3 friend has this banknote to hand, see if you can identify the source - it is QUITE small :D

View attachment 870888
I had the Olympus 60mm 2.8 macro for a few years and found the Raynox 150 to be much more useful and flexible. I love being able to put it on the 12-40, 45-175, some old legacy glass, or even my 50-200 SWD when I want to do super macro. Your excellent photo illustrates what you can do with that lens and in combo with the 45-175 is ideal since that lens has internal focusing and doesn't expand.

I sold my Olympus 60mm macro and don't ever miss it.

Real Name
Roddy
Hi Steve - yes, I like both Rayoxes, I must admit, and even stacked they're very useable too. The 45-175 will certainly get some use this year - I didn't get it until late last season and never got a chance really to play with it on insects. It has a good reputation and I think I have a very good copy...it's not only got me off the hunt for a O60mm, but it has also dampened my enthusiasm for a PL50-200 for the time being, too; I have some other gaps in my glass line-up that can take purchase priority :)

Last edited:
Hi Steve - yes, I like both Rayoxes, I must admit, and even stacked they're very useable too. The 45-175 will certainly get some use this year - I didn't get it until late last season and never got a chance really to play with it on insects. It has a good reputation and I think I have a very good copy...it's not only got me off the hunt for a O60mm, but it has also dampened my enthusiasm for a PL55-200 for the time being, too; I have some other gaps in my glass line-up that can take purchase priority :)
The thing about using the Raynox add-ons is that the underlying sharpness of the lens below it really doesn't matter. The raynox is the last lens between the camera and the object and it's sharpness determines the image quality. In my experience, the underlying lens just manages depth of field, degree of vignetting, and width of the image.

Real Name
Roddy
The PZ45-175 does a face or two. A walk in the village with the dogs and an umbrella soon turned into a romp in the rain with a couple of Mary Poppins songs. Gigi said she'd like to be a stage star, I told her not to give up the tennis.....

P1370410_HDR_HDR2.jpeg

A Himba Woman. Damaraland, Namibia. 2016
P4280183.jpg

Real Name
Roddy
A littler more midnight macro madness.

One of the girls, on her way up to bed, said there was a green spider on the wall in the hall. I checked my monthly green spider list - nope, none meant for February. Must be a mistake. It's -2˚ tonight. No green spiders here.

P1380075 copy_HDR 2.jpeg

My mistake, there WAS a green spider on the wall, a Green Huntsman (Micrommata ligurina) - all 12mm of her.

Child safely tucked up in bed, I found the Raynoxes and took a couple of photos. The 45-175 works well enough that my lust for a Oly60 really has been firmly put to one side. With the 150 (as this pic was taken) I have plenty of legroom and enough sharpness for my purposes. Time for the PL15 to definitively become the next purchase, methinks.

Tomorrow I'll put Mrs Micrommata down in the summer kitchen. There should be enough food there for her, even some plants, but I'm sure she'll need a coat, poor thing. There won't be anyone to keep her warm until at least May. I wonder what wretched timeline her life is working along.

Last edited:

Peadingle

Mu-43 Regular
robins-1290081-120221.jpg

Peadingle

Mu-43 Regular
bos-foggy-morning-1290484-260221.jpg

_SBA2851_01.jpg

Peadingle

Mu-43 Regular
burrowbridge-1080755-140321.jpg

Real Name
Roddy
Well, we moved a month ago, 20 mins eastwards inland from the coast to a village on a river. I've posted a few pics from here before, but with spring in the air I've had the urge to tear myself away from renovations and take some photos. You'll be seeing plenty more as the months go by. The local stone is famous for its colour (yes, that yellow is not a processing hue) and many important national buildings in France have been constructed over the centuries with stone from nearby quarries.

Here's a house on the river itself, above the flood marks, and aptly named on a plaque as "La Maison à bord de L'Eau" , the house by the water. The river was once a very important stop for river traffic and there are many grand houses on the south bank. Ours is not one of them, I hasten to add, though in two to three months time I should be finished with the guest cottage in the garden and we'll be open for visitors again.

P1390104.jpeg

hernan

Mu-43 Veteran
P4140010 - Copia.JPG

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom