Showcase Panasonic 45-175mm f/4-5.6

Peadingle

Mu-43 Regular
I thought that the Digital zoom was a gimmick for kids to play with, but it actually works quite well.

bos-misc-dztest-1070672-160920.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Peadingle

Mu-43 Regular
apex-1250351-111020.jpg

Macroramphosis

Jack of Spades and an unfeasibly large wheelbarrow
Real Name
Roddy
First light this morning.

P8270999_HDR.jpeg

P8280057_HDR_HDR.jpeg

Last edited:

Macroramphosis

Real Name
Roddy
I was standing outside the garage this morning getting a new tyre put on the car when I noticed a tree across the road had its ivy in flower on the trunk, and a stash of insects were in amongst it. I thought they might be Colletes hederae, the Ivy bee (the last hatching bee of the year). Grabbing the G6 from the car I set off towards the tree with the 45-175 attached. Imagine my surprise when I got to the tree and saw all the insects were nectaring Asian hornets. They were up high, 6' or more above me, and I had little optimism of getting a decent shot, but I set to work trying to see if I could do something without a monopof or tripod.

I needn't have worried too much - the OIS works well on this lens, and it sings on the old G6..... for the £150 or so I paid for it I think this is a damn fine piece of consumer glass. I never expected it to be a decent insect lens, but it may turn out to be one.....

....till I find a PL55-200 lying in the grass somewhere, cough.

P8280191_HDR.jpeg

Last edited:

Peadingle

Mu-43 Regular
trees+leaves-1080352-251020.jpg

hernan

Mu-43 Veteran
P1000028.JPG

Macroramphosis

Real Name
Roddy
The Dawn Scramble

P8290318_HDR_HDR4.jpeg

The dawns here at the moment are fantastic - lots of dust from somewhere..

Macroramphosis

Real Name
Roddy
I can't find a brick wall here where I am in France, but I thought this shot may do a good job of showing the IQ of the 45-175. Bear in mind this is a handheld JPEG, without PP of any sort. It's also a AF-S shot, centre-focused as I couldn't find a suitable point of interest.

P8290456.JPG

Macroramphosis

Real Name
Roddy
This week the planet's seasonal journey through space has meant our sun this side of the Atlantic has been rising right around the time I've finished the outward leg of the school run and start to race for a vantage spot on the way home, where I can open the car window and point the 45-175 through it for a shot of whatever the morning sun has on offer. I say through the window because we're not really allowed much more than that at the moment, sigh. We've had a few mornings with spectacular colours, and I'm discovering that this little lens is quite useful for nefarious purposes at dawn. I'm pretty sure it's sharper all round than the old P14-140 (2009 version) and it has a certain micro-contrast (I guess due to the lens' nano-coatings) that is really nice. It is also remarkably flare-free when shooting directly into the light and I think overall it represents a great example of the m4/3 ethos.

Below is a selection of dawn captures from the past few days that might explain why I am coming to like this little lens so much (some have been posted elsewhere). I have to add that for the measly £130 I paid for mine it's an absolute bargain - and it really is small enough to carry in a pocket if you have something else like the P12-32 on the camera. I have no idea what the IQ is like on a proper screen, but I'm sure you could get decent A4-sized prints out of it. I wonder if they'll ever make a more modern version of it.....and whether if it would be as good! If you hanker after a PL50-200 but don't have a wallet deep enough, this lens may help you through the hard times :D

Lockeeper.jpeg

P1350333_HDR.jpeg

P8290427 _HDR_HDR3 copy.jpeg

P1350465_HDR.jpeg

P8290318_HDR_HDR4.jpeg

A Thanksgiving Sunrise.jpeg

Last edited:

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
Nice pics Roddy and what more could one ask from that lens.
I've got the P 45-150 and whenever I use it I'm always delighted with the results and that cost me £150 new.
You've had some lovely sunrises over there lately; we had a couple this week but I was only just getting out of bed at the time, so no photos here. :whistling:

Macroramphosis

Real Name
Roddy
Thanks Brian - It amazes me how spoilt we are for choice in this m4/3 system, whether it's a Panasonic or Olympus lens, and despite their diminutive size and cost. I hope one day to get a serious piece of glass - say the P50-200 or the Oly 4-150 Pro - if I'm happy with what I have now what the hell will I be with a professional lens?

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
I agree Roddy and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
I bought a used Panasonic 7-14mm f4 a few years ago when I traded in my 12-32 (and a lot of dosh) for it.
I must admit I hardly use it and just this afternoon I've made enquiries with a couple of dealers about trading that lens in for a used 12-45 f4 Pro.
I've had one quite good offer already and am waiting on the second one.
Whether I justify having the Pro lens I'm not sure, as I don't rate myself highly at all, but what the heck.

Real Name
Jean
I am quite the fan of my Panasonic 45-175mm. The weight is negligible so it follows me more than many other lens and it produces photos that I enjoy looking at :)

This is from a walk uptown today:
20201128-Uptown_Waterloo-068-HDR-XL.jpg
20201128-Uptown_Waterloo-044-Edit-XL.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited:

Peadingle

Mu-43 Regular
I also paid just 130 pounds for my 45-175. To have that amount of reach in a lens that can easily go in a coat pocket is why I love this lens.

apex-foggy-morning-1080563b+w-291120_1.jpg

Very nice lens
P2200311.jpg

Macroramphosis

Real Name
Roddy
This morning's offering is a 3-shot bracket, using the car roof and a bean bag. I've not shot a lot of bracketed photos, so any advice is welcome! This was a +1 to -1.

P1360067_HDR.jpeg

Last edited:

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Thanks Brian - It amazes me how spoilt we are for choice in this m4/3 system, whether it's a Panasonic or Olympus lens, and despite their diminutive size and cost. I hope one day to get a serious piece of glass - say the P50-200 or the Oly 4-150 Pro - if I'm happy with what I have now what the hell will I be with a professional lens?

Different tool for a different job.
The pro lens is SHARP but also big and heavy. For that reason, for me, the pro lenses will complement, but not replace the smaller lighter lenses.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom