Panasonic 45-175

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by frank2, Jul 27, 2012.

1. frank2

frank2 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    Does anyone have recent experience with this lens on a G3? I have read all the reviews and the concerns over image doubling at certain shutter speeds. As the prevalence of the issue seems to vary by body and sample I am interested in specific experiences while on the G3 with current lens firmware. Anyone?

2. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    I have that combo, and my firmware is up-to-date. I am not aware of any image doubling issues. I haven't had any issues, really.
  3. frank2

frank2 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    Thanks, how well does the stabilization work at slow shutter speeds? Is the lens at all usable indoors without flash? Is subject movement controllable using high ISO indoors?
  4. I bought the 45-175 for use on my G3 a month ago. The first thing I did was to update the firmware on the camera. The lens firmware was already up to date. I then tested for the double/soft image issue at 1/60 to 1/200 sec, mainly with IS off, and mainly using a tripod, because that is how I most often use the camera. I looked rather carefully but did not identify any problems.

Since then I have captured several thousand images, all close-ups. I have always used a technique involving many captures and many failures, and the 45-175 does not feel any different in terms of failure rate (although the quality of the successes seems better on average in terms of resolution and colours than previously with the 45-200. I believe the best of my results with the 45-175 are better in those respects than I ever achieved with the 45-200).

Part of my technique involves trawling through large numbers of images to find ones to shortlist for possible processing, and this includes an element of pixel peeping for some images. During this process I have not noticed anything resembling the (ongoing) problems some other people are having with the lens.

As to your other questions, I'm afraid I can't help.
    • Like Like x 1