1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 45-175 X on E-PM1

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Art, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Got this lens today. First impression, the lens is fantastic. Great build quality (definately premium lens), feels noticeably smaller and lighter than Oly 40-150 (even though it's 10g heavier or so) probably due to much smaller diameter and internal zooming. The lens focuses noticeably faster than Oly 40-150 (which is already fast). Being a P&S shooter most of my life, I LOVE power zooming. But for those who don't the lens also features regular manual zooming option.

It's an overcast day today, I fired a few test shots mostly at 175mm at various distances and it is instantly obvious to me that the lens is sharper than Oly 40-150 when viewing 100% on camera screen and then subsequently on the computer (vs Oly at 150mm f5.6). I will be shooting with this lens during the weekend. In particular, I am interested how it performs at infinity and perhaps even more so - its contrast and color rendition.

The silver color of the lens base matches that of E-PM1 flash (both clip-on and FL-300R). I think for once I might prefer silver lens which somehow looks smaller (of course it's at least half black, LOL). The lens is lighter than E-PM1 camera body and balances very well, it looks and handles like a super zoom P&S cam to me.

Excuse my iPhone pics (the only other camera I own).

2. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Looks pretty nice in silver like that with alternating black and silver patterns.
    Do you have a viewfinder to use it with? Does Olympus allow the Optical stabilization system to work?
    Good shooting.

3. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    No OIS on Olympus bodies. It is disabled by default and no way to turn it on cause there is no OIS switch. IBIS should work just fine with this lens but I don't use it on E-PM1 (IBIS is more trouble than good on this particular model). I didn't use IBIS with Oly 40-150 either as both lenses being slow telephoto zooms are strictly for daytime shooting where I expect to get at least 1/500s at ISO200 or 400 w/o problems. Furthermore, I keep reading folks complaining about OIS on this lens causing blurring. I think this lens might be just perfect for OM-D users to take full advantage of it. I found that IBIS on older Pens bodies is not very effective for telephoto lenses (if you want pixel sharp results).

4. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Quick test with 100% crops. First pic is at 45mm, the rest is at 175mm. All wide open. Shot in raw, saved to jpg with default settings in ACR, resized for web.

Oly11.
    Oly1_crop.
    Oly2.
    Oly2_crop.
    Oly3.
    Oly3_crop.
    Oly4.
    Oly4_crop.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    As I was shooting with this combo last evening I was surprised to discover that E-PM1 IBIS works surprisingly well with 45-175. I was shooting at 175mm and 1/100s and was able to get 7 out of 10 sharp photos (and 10 out of 10 blurry with IBIS off). It's not tack pixel sharp but very usable. There is a hope that E-PM1 IBIS is not totally useless. Will continue to test over the weekend.

• Like Like x 1
  6. troll

troll Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 25, 2012
    Are you sure about this? I'm getting lots of sharp images on E-P2 with IBIS turned off at ~1/100... it seems that when IBIS is turned off the OIS is automatically turned on.

7. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Finally had some time to shoot with this lens last weekend. Overall I am very satisfied if not impressed with the optical quality. The lens is a notch above Oly 40-150, IMO. Superb colors, contrast and very sharp for distant objects. Crops are for 175mm pics. I read that this lens is best wide open so I didn't bother changing aperture. After a day of shooting it was obvious to me that Panny 45-175 is a better performer than Oly 40-150 (the lens I used to own). Focuses faster and more precise and noticeably sharper at distance shooting, definitely better color. Add to that internal zooming, metal mount, hood included, thin profile (46mm filter thread), power zoom feature (great for videos w/monopod), and it's worth paying $100 or so. I am now curious how does it perform on a 16MP sensor? Is pixel level sharpness similar to 12mp?

100% crop
    9_crop.
    100% crop
    8_crop.
    100% crop
    7_crop.
    100%crop
    6_crop.
    100% crop
    5_crop1.
    100% crop
    1_crop.

• Like Like x 2
  8. dannat

dannat Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    The detail in the crops is very good

9. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    yes, I am very happy with sharpness at 175mm f5.6 (crops) for distant objects. This is on 12mp sensor, I am now wondering if it can similarly perform on a 16mp sensor in terms of pixel level detail.

10. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    From my understanding (or conclusion I should say), this lens' OIS kicks in when you turned of your Oly's ibis. From the tests I've done, this is what appears to happen on the em5.

11. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I doubt that but will try to do some testing. My understanding was that OIS does not work on Oly bodies and I do not use IBIS on E-PM1. I tried to keep shutter speeds at 1/500s and up. A good test would be long exposure on a tripod with IBIS off. If the pic comes out sharp then OIS is disabled.

12. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    I definitely don't know for sure one way or the other, but I've noticed that the lens "appears" to be stabilized, even with ibis off. Also, when you switch the ibis off, the lens makes a noise...doesn't mean anything of course, just guessing.

13. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Very happy with the lens so far. It's a keeper for me. All pics are at 175mm, f5.6, gloomy day. Pixel sharp enough for me even w/o IS.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Wow, very nice! I think the zoo is actually better on downcast days. Light is more even? :2thumbs:

15. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    the light is more even but ISO is a lot higher which reduces sharpness somewhat. I prefer sun for slow zooms.

16. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    color me jealous since my copy of the 45-175X was a lemon, and I had to return it :( I had to settle for the 45-200mm. Great shots!

17. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Art.. very nice images and sure looks like you have a fine quality lens there! Thanks.

Doesn't look like you have needed the EVF, but do you miss it? I'm taking very good care of it. :wink:

18. dannat

dannat Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    i have read somewhere the OIS is turned ON by default on OLy bodies- just cant find it - the animal shots seem plenty sharp, i have just got mine -the size is terrific for 175mm

19. aragorn1980

aragorn1980 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Athens Greece
    Takis
    Really good images.I have been using this lens with my G10 this summer and the results were very good.Definetely worth the money.

20. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    a couple more, processed from Raw in ACR:

M8192562.
    M8192570.

• Like Like x 1