1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 45-175 vs Oly 40150 on OMD

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by mwherley, Jul 22, 2013.

1. mwherley

mwherley Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 15, 2013
    Eugene, Oregon
    Looking for feedback on sharpness, functionality between Panasonic 45-175 and Oly 40-150 on an OMD. I gather the lens barrel doesn't extend on zooming on the Panasonic, which is appealing. Other factors to consider? Thanks.

2. huai

huai Mu-43 Regular

May 24, 2013
    I tried both in store - taking images of signs from hand held for about 20 mins and ultimately went with the 45-175. Here is my experience: IQ (based on zooming in on LCD screen) is about equal. Weight and size (unzoomed) are close enough to not make a difference.

40-150 has a very cheap plasticky look and feel to it - to the point that the IQ it produced pleasantly surprised me. 40-150 doubles on size when zoomed in. The 45-175 has internal zoom and focus, anti-glare nano coating, much more solid feel to it, and comes with hood and pouch. The power zoom was very awkward at first, but I'm used to it after a few weeks. 45-175 was on sale that week, so I went for it instead of the 40-150. I would buy it again, budget permitting.

3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I own both, but the P45-175 gets more use than the O40-150. I haven't done any close testing, but the IQ differences between the two appear to be minimal.

As huai noted the 40-150 definitely has a "cheap" feel to it. Another member on this site once described it as a "gumball machine" lens, meaning that it feels in operation as though it could have been sold for $0.25 in a vending machine -- I can definitely identify with that conclusion.

Beyond the "feel", two reasons I usually grab the 45-175: 1) I love the internal zoom mechanism, so that I don't have to worry about the front element protruding, and 2) the 45-175 takes 46mm filters (as do the bulk of my other :43: lenses) which allows me to carry a single set of filters.

I don't love the power zoom feature of the P45-175 since it's quicker just to grab the barrel and twist to rack out the 40-150, but I've grown accustomed to it.

The other point you need to consider is price, since the Panasonic seems to sell (used) for roughly twice the price of the Olympus lens.

4. mwherley

mwherley Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 15, 2013
    Eugene, Oregon
    Image stabilization issues?

Thanks for the feedback. Have you run into issues w/ image stabilization artifacts on Olympus bodies? Can the lens stabilization be turned off in the menu? How's the feel of the zoom ring in action?

5. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    My understanding is that with any of the Olympus bodies prior to the EPL5/EPM2 (which includes your OM-D), there is no way to activate the P45-175's OIS since the lens has no physical OIS switch. This is the case with both of my Olympus bodies, so I've only ever used the lens' OIS with Panasonic bodies. The newer Olympus cameras have a "Lens I.S. Priority" setting which can be used to select OIS and disable the in-camera IBIS.

I don't like the feel of the zoom ring on the P45-175, so I mostly use the rocker switch on the side of the lens to control the zoom.

6. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Wanted to post an update and take back what I said about the 45-175s zoom ring...it's actually not that bad. It's definitely got an extreme "fly by wire" feel to it, but I played with it a bit this evening and found myself using the zoom ring rather than the rocker switch most of the time.

A new (very minor) complaint that came up with the P45-175 is that with the reversible lens hood mounted in reverse (it was dark and I didn't really need the hood) I was unable to turn the manual focus ring. Definitely not a deal-breaker, but just something to point out. I love the fact that the Panasonic lens comes with a reversible hood while the Olympus hood is an extra $20.

In all I really noticed this evening just how good and solid the P45-175 feels to use.

sent with my phone...please excuse the typos

7. Qiou87

Qiou87 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2013
    Paris, France
    Sorry to intrude but I'm actually asking myself the same question (what telephoto lens to get for my OM-D).

I've played with the O40-150 and it's just not what I'm looking for - I want something a lot more sturdy, coming from Canon L lenses. The plastic mount doesn't look like it could survive much travelling, which is what I mostly do.

I don't know why, but nobody mentioned the Panasonic 45-150mm. It seems to have the sturdy construction of the 45-175, but it extends while zooming. Optically it seems to be on par, but it's a lot cheaper (at least in Europe, there is a 130-150€ price difference between the two panasonic zooms). The lack on a power zoom is no bother unless you do a lot of video, I figure.

If anybody has any experience to share with that one lens too, I'd be happy to hear it.

8. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Well, I like the 45-175mm better (I've had both) because of its constant size and slightly better contrast. As far as the mount goes, however, I think the fragility of plastic mounts is completely overblown. I've never heard of one failing--have you? I also travel a lot, and I've never had a mount issue.

The Oly 40-150mm has a lot going for it, and if you can get it cheap it's an incredible bargain. The only reason I replaced mine with the 45-175mm is because I lucked into getting one for an incredible price.

9. Qiou87

Qiou87 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2013
    Paris, France
    My preconception against a plastic mount (and an all-plastic construction in general) is based on the time I spent using the Canon system. The 50mm f/1.8 from Canon is also all-plastic and is basically known for its fragility, aside from the price/performance which is astounding. Plenty of evidence on the internet.

So basically the P45-175 would have its constant size, better contrast, slightly longer reach going for it - making it pretty attractive, if only I could find it used - France is not a big m43 market, sadly.

Thank you for your input!

10. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I did a careful comparison of those two Panasonic tele zooms. I found them to be equal to one another optically and in build quality. I kept the 45-175 because of the extra reach, the power zoom mechanism, and the internal focus and zoom that allow it to retain the same size, as well as slightly more effective OIS at the long end - and also because I had gotten the Amazon deal on it where I only paid about $60 more for it than I did for the 45-150. But I would say that if the difference in price one sees between the 45-175 and the 45-150 zooms is significant, that would make the 45-150 a better value, because the difference in quality between the two lenses (as opposed to the features I mentioned) is minimal to non-existent. If I had seen a price differential of over 100 Euros between the two lenses, knowing what I know now, I would definitely get the 45-150.

11. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    Personally, I really like things that feel well made of high grade materials. Having said that I have owned the above mentioned Canon 50 1.8 for probably 15 years and carried it all over the country and even to out of the country and it still works just as well today as it did when I bought it.

I also bought the Oly 40-150 a little less than a year ago and while it feels as cheap as the Canon 50, I can't complain about the images at all. I got it for so cheap and it is so light and easy to carry that I really like it a lot. Is it a lens that makes me happy to hold and look at? No. But I am pretty happy with the photos I get from it. I just didn't want to spend much on a telephoto for M43 because I didn't expect to use it much and I am satisfied with it from that aspect.

12. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I'll subscribe to this thread because I'm interested in the 45-175 but from an ambivalent viewpoint : love the idea of internal zoom but I want to see an optical quality at least that of the Olympus at full reach.
    So who's got both ready for testing?

As to fragility : my Olympus 40-150 weighs nothing, fells cheap but has proven to be quite tough and performs well all the time, no surprises.

13. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    You might also want to ask yourself how often you plan to use a telephoto lens compared to the lenses you've already got (or plan to add to your kit). I considered the both 45-175 and 40-150 for a long time, but ultimately went with the 40-150 when it was on sale for $100 USD. In retrospect it was a great decision because although it's handy to have once in a while, a lot of the time it just sits on the shelf. If I had spent extra for the Pany I might be thinking about selling it by now...