1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 45-175 vs. 14-140 - opinions please

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by davidedric, Jan 20, 2014.

1. davidedric

davidedric Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2013
    Cheshire, UK
    Dave
    Hi,

I currently have a G5, and just the 14-42mm v.II kit lens. I want to get more reach. If I go with a two lens solution, then the best of the three 45mm+ lenses seems to be the 45-175mm. However, at a rather different price point, I could go for the (new) 14-140mm and have a single lens with the much the same apertures, albeit with a shorter "top end".

I am normally wary of zooms that go much beyond 5x. However, so far as I can tell by reading reviews, and looking at the image thread here, the IQ of the 14-140mm is similar to that of the other two lenses (I'd probably keep the kit lens).

Any help gratefully received about these lenses

Dave

2. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    I don't have either lens unfortunately, so I can't comment on those. However, another option, if you can increase the budget further is to go all the way and get a Pana 35-100 f2.8. It is one heck of a lens, but pricey, and it doesn't give you all the reach of the two other solutions. It does afford you more purposes (better low light capability, portraits with better DoF (though not super-thin DoF, better than your options), and the quality will for sure beat either). I just bought one and absolutely love it. I will probably add on a 100-300 later.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd also consider the Panasonic 45-150mm OIS. It's built quite well and is pretty sharp at the tele end. I'd only get the 45-175mm if you need the power zoom for video. Personally I don't care much for any of the slower aperture zooms. I've owned several and alway end up selling them off preferring fast primes instead.

• Like Like x 1
  4. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    I bought the new version 14-140, and I'm pretty happy with it. The reason I bought it was sort of similar.

To start off with I had the 14-42 PZ that came with the camera, plus a 45-150 I picked up secondhand. I really didn't get along with the 14-42 PZ. I just couldn't instinctively find and operate the PZ switch. Plus I found I often wanted just a bit more reach and was constantly swapping between the two lenses.

Given that I had to do something about the PZ lens, and that the 14-140 II was roughly similar in size to the 45-150 anyway, I figured the best option was to sell both and get the 14-140, which I did.

I'm pretty happy with it, and to-date it is generally my take anywhere lens.

• Like Like x 1
  5. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    We have the 45-175 for use with my wife's G3 and my EM-5 but to be honest yes it's slightly better then the Oly 40-150 which we also have but not worth the 2 times the cost (@UK pricing).

• Like Like x 1
  6. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    These are not really comparable in terms of focal length or price. 14-140 is nice if you want that all in one convenience . It zooms out though. I am not sure by how much. 45-175 is all internal focusing.

• Like Like x 1
  7. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Yes. I started several years ago with a G1, a 14-45mm and a 45-200mm. I am mostly a tourist photographer and after one trip (to the Galapagos Islands) I sold them both and bought the 14-140mm. I have never regretted it.

That said, it probably depends a bit on what type of photography you do. When traveling, situations can arise where you lose the shot because you don't have time to change a lens. Your group might be moving, you might be in a moving vehicle, a shot might materialize for a moment and then be gone. So I am a believer in big zoom range for travel. I have the 9-18mm and the 14-140mm. I would have a 9-300mm if somebody would make a good one! Re IQ, the 14-140mm is quite acceptable to me as I rarely crop and rarely make poster-sized prints. Also, I always prefer a good shot with less than perfect IQ to the shot I missed (or had to crop heavily) because I had the wrong lens on the camera.

If you do more static photography with complete control over your time and your vantage point, having to occasionally switch zooms or using primes might be very acceptable.

• Like Like x 1
  8. charcoalblack

charcoalblack Mu-43 Regular

Dec 26, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  9. davidedric

davidedric Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2013
    Cheshire, UK
    Dave
    Thanks for the feedback. In the end, I have bought the 14-140mm. My plan is to use it as a single lens system for general travel. If I am planning to shoot wildlife then I will stay with my dslr for now

Regards,

Dave

10. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    The only time a superzoom like the 14-140mm makes sense is if you want to replace your current 14-42mm with a lens that can reach farther for those few times when needed, and you are antsy about changing lenses. Superzooms do not compare favorably to dedicated telephoto lenses like the 45-150mm or 45-175mm. If you're going out to shoot in the telephoto range, then one of those lenses will serve you much better.

I also agree that you should consider the 45-150mm, as it's about the same performance in a much smaller package, for much less money if you buy someone's kit part-out or find another deal. My father got it as part of his G5 kit, and it works very well.

11. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    For a trip to Africa a couple of years ago I bought a second body and a 100-300mm, both used, and resold them when I got home. IIRC my net cost to have them was about $30. I kept the 14-140mm on one body and the 100-300mm on the other. I found myself switching fairly often as we sometimes got fairly close to animals and sometimes the full 300mm was needed.

12. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    Probably a good choice. I only plan on m43 going forward, so for me, it is better to put more into the lenses, but the 14-140 has great reviews and as you said, for the really difficult stuff, you have another system you can use.

13. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

I'm coming to the conclusion that a lens like the 14-140mm is a perfect partner for a set of primes. I have a 25mm f/1.4 and the 45mm f/1.8, which suits 90% of the shots I take. But then there are the times where I want to do video (need OIS) or wish for something a bit wider or a bit longer. I also have a 3 year old so swapping lenses can be close to impossible. With the primes I have and a 14-140mm I can be creative with the primes and have the versatility of the super zoom. I hope to add a 75mm at some point (I loved my 85mm Samyang but manual focus isn't one of my strong points). I've just picked up a new 14-140mm for £335 on eBay, which to me represents excellent value for money.

14. peteygas

peteygas Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 21, 2011
    sedona arizona
    Old racer I did the same thing in Africa two Panny Gh2 , and 100-300. 14-140 . what a pleasure not to schlep 35 lbs of Nikon D 800e gear around. the slight sacrifice in bokeh was wort it

15. Peter75

Peter75 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    Hi I just recently switch over from Nikon D7000 to m43, with a Pany G6 and a 14-140. I intend to let the 14-140 be my only zoom I have. Besides the zoom, I bought a 14/2.5, 25/1.4 and a 45/1.8 (should arrive in few days). I really like to shoot with primes, the one I used the most on the Nikon was the 35/1.8. The zoom will be for vacations/walkaround and video shooting.

I picked the G6 + 14-140 3.5-5.6 up from amazon.co.uk for £628, but got a cashback from Panasonic of £100. Otherwise I would not have bought this zoom. Incredible price.