1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 45-150mm F4-5.6 Lens?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by larryis1, Apr 8, 2015.

1. larryis1

larryis1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2015
    Southern Nevada, USA
    Larry
    For those that use this lens, can you please share your perspective on image quality? I am considering this for my Olympus E-M5 II.

2. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Go with the 45-175 instead. It's a better lens optically (nano coatings on the elements, POWER OIS vs MEGA OIS, non-extending, 25mm more reach) and has a better build quality (rubber zoom ring vs plastic zoom ring).

3. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    I have this lens for few months, it's little shorter than Oly's 40-150 4-5.6, it came with lens hood too.

The IQ is about the same with Oly, Panny has better build with metal mount, it's sharper at the long end and little more contrast to my eye.

4. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Note the Oly 40-150 R is much cheaper, but still sharp.

Barry

5. larryis1

larryis1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2015
    Southern Nevada, USA
    Larry
    Thank you for your feedback. What is the length (when fully zoomed in to 150mm) of the Panasonic lens vs. the Olympus lens (measure from the mount to the front filter thread)? I am looking for something that produces decent image quality and is not very obtrusive (i.e., smaller is better for me, but image quality is important as well). Thanks again.
    Regards, Larry

6. larryis1

larryis1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2015
    Southern Nevada, USA
    Larry
    Thanks for the detailed response. I am looking for best quality and was also considering the 45-175mm lens as well. I am planning to use the selected lens on my new OM D E-M5 II. What is the difference between Power OIS & Mega OIS? Thanks again.
    Regards, Larry

7. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Larry,

Power OIS offers better stabilization (more stops while maintaining image quality). Having said that, the IBIS in the EM5II is going to be better than the OIS in either of those lenses.

Having said that, I would still go with the 45-175 for reasons mentioned above.

8. rpringle

rpringle Mu-43 Regular

Jan 9, 2014
    I heard the 45-175mm had issues with shutter shock, don't know if that's true but I mostly stayed away from it because I prefer mechanical zooming to power zooming. I owned the pana 45-150 for about a week and ended up returning it. I used it on my E-P5 and it exhibited a great deal of CA and vignetting. It was however VERY sharp and small. The optics wouldn't be a problem on a panasonic body as it would automatically correct the CA and vignetting, but the Oly body doesn't so I returned it and bought the much cheaper 40-150. I'm glad I did because even though it's slightly bigger it's also lighter, just as sharp, and has very little to no CA or vignetting. You can find them sometimes for $80-$100 on ebay, if you get one make sure it's the newer mark II MSC version as it has silent focusing.

9. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm using the 45-175 with the E-M5 Mk1, no problems with it. On the Mk1 you get no choice of IS, it's IBIS only. At very long focal lengths Power OIS may be better than IBIS, but the improved IBIS on the Mk2 may have changed that - you get to choose on the Mk2 anyway. I wouldn't worry too much about shutter shock, it doesn't seem any worse than say the 40-150R. Besides the Mk2 has the 0s anti shock to take care of that.

• Agree Agree x 1