Panasonic 45-150 Manufacturing Revisions?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by fedward, Apr 11, 2016.

1. fedward

fedward New to Mu-43

Apr 11, 2016
    Washington, DC
    I just ordered a Panasonic 45-150/4-5.6 lens in advance of a trip we have coming up. I note that it seems to have had several releases indicated by model suffixes. It's officially the H-FS45150* (where the * is either S or K, for silver or black). When I went to order it I noticed that some vendors list the model number as H-FS45150A*, and others list it with E*, and the box I have has an adhesive label with the model number given as H-FS45150PKA (and that label covers the model number printed on the box, but doesn't prevent me from reading that it said H-FS45150E-K).

By my count that's at least four revisions (original, A, E, and P*A). Anybody know what changed in those revisions? Mine's got serial number XA5KD00nnnn if that's useful info for comparison. I know some old reviews complained of variations between different copies of the lens, so are all these revisions just indications of process changes, or do they suggest quality control improvements?

Note: I'm not looking for a reason to send it back or anything. So far it checks out with acceptable sharpness for what I need, and the Olympus 40-150/2.8 Pro is too big/heavy/awkward for the situation I'll be wanting to use a long lens. I'm just curious.
  2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    A, E, and P*A do not conform to standard ways denoting revisions. Letter revisions are generally used for indicating document or drawing revisions. Numbers are most often used for different hardware versions. Part numbers may, or may not, contain embedded information. I suspect that's what the other letters are for. Only Panasonic knows what those designations mean. Serial numbers may be simple sequence numbers, or contain information such as date codes, factory country of origin, etc.
    Slip stream improvements /revisions for consumer products are usually only identified by knowing at which serial number changes were implemented. Those would be design/part changes and not process or QC related.
  3. fedward

fedward New to Mu-43

Apr 11, 2016
    Washington, DC
    Long ago I used to work at a parts counter (not cameras though). The manufacturers we worked with did use letter designations for manufacturing revisions. There was a particular model that was extremely common, and each of its three revisions required a different version of a common service part. Those were always annoying phone calls. IIRC that model also had a missing "B" revision, so it was no-letter, A, and C. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Panasonic has been slowly re-finishing several of their zoom lenses with a more matte look and removing the conspicuous "HD" symbols since they are now trying to be the 4K leaders now. These slight product number revisions were denoting those changes.

For example at Bhphoto, the model ending in K that is discontinued: Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm f/4-5.6 ASPH. MEGA H-FS45150K

And the newer model ending in AK: Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm f/4-5.6 ASPH. MEGA H-FS45150AK

Same lens, different paint job.

They have done the same to the 14-42 II and 14-140mm II.
    • Like Like x 1