Panasonic 45-150 Anyone?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by BAXTING, Nov 25, 2012.

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Leaning towards this lens vs the 45-200 or 45-175. Does anyone have one yet?

I have a P20 and Oly45 and want something a bit longer for portraits. Ive been looking at manual lenses, but Im inexperienced in that department.

From what I understand it looks to be somewhat smaller than the two lenses mentioned and less than half the price of the Oly75. OIS is also a plus since Im using a Panasonic body although I'll most likely be using my tripod.

Looks like Adorama/BH have a few...
  2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Do you mean the 35-100?
  3. troll

troll Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 25, 2012
    He means 45-150.
  4. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Not a very "troll"-worthy bit of info, 'cause I suspect you're right. :biggrin:
  5. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    I don't have one and haven't seen many reviews from users. Seems pretty nice in terms of size. Any reason why you're leaning away from 45-175? I have one and it's quite nice. A bit more reach. Pricing right now is pretty close .

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Doh! Yea I meant the 45-150... Not used to typing on tablet I guess.

Really want it for the 70 to 100 range and from the images Ive seen its smaller than the 175 which I very much like.

I would hope/guess that since its a newer lens it may be slightly improved and that also since the zoom covers a smaller range it may be more specialized. Just wishful thinking? Maybe they just wanted to offer something smaller...
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    Right, but that's only when it's at its widest setting. Once you zoom in, the 45-150 gets longer, while 45-175 stays the same because its lens is all internal.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    I've recently bought one to replace my 45-200 when weight is at a premium. It seems slightly sharper at 45mm and the tiniest amount (I couldn't really swear there's a difference) softer at 150mm. Colour/contrast is similar between the 2 lenses.

I did notice a small issue, however, and you can't really blame the lens. I initially thought the lens was soft, but I finally worked out that it's just really difficult to hold steady, due to the light weight! The 45-200 is easier because it's heavier. Even with the image stabiliser, which takes a second or two to kick in properly, I was seeing results similar to what I'd get with a full size DSLR at an equivalent focal length, without an image stabiliser.

As an aside, I tried some shots with a Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS (one of the best zooms in existence) on my G5. While they were sharper and had more contrast, the difference was very small indeed, which is a great result :) (I also tried a cheap Canon zoom, and that was clearly inferior).
    • Like Like x 1
  9. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Which is cheaper?

Hmm I am also interested in a long lens that is from Panasonic (for the OIS)
    So we got the Panasonic
    • 45-150mm
    • 45-200mm
    • 45-175mm.
    I would like to see someone put these in order of Image quality, and maybe price too.
    The asking prices for these lens are all over the place, I cant seem to make a list with out more time researching..
    And I am sure i would not want the cheapest if its also the worst performer, OTOH if the cheapest is the middle IQ lens I would get that. I am interested in the 100 and above range.

And I realize that the Max aperture at 100mm is different for all of them.
    I often prefer shooting wide open when I can.
  10. dyrmaker83

dyrmaker83 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2011
    Washington, DC
    I'm also torn between these two lenses. The tele-length sharpness and internal focus of the 45-175mm had me all set, but the color/contrast of the 45-150mm make the images I've seen so far pop.

At this point in time, the prices between the two are even at around $300 online - making the choice that much more difficult.