Panasonic 45-150 Anyone?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by BAXTING, Nov 25, 2012.

1. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    Leaning towards this lens vs the 45-200 or 45-175. Does anyone have one yet?

I have a P20 and Oly45 and want something a bit longer for portraits. Ive been looking at manual lenses, but Im inexperienced in that department.

From what I understand it looks to be somewhat smaller than the two lenses mentioned and less than half the price of the Oly75. OIS is also a plus since Im using a Panasonic body although I'll most likely be using my tripod.

Looks like Adorama/BH have a few...

2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Do you mean the 35-100?

3. troll

troll Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 25, 2012
    He means 45-150.

4. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
    Not a very "troll"-worthy bit of info, 'cause I suspect you're right. :biggrin:

5. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I don't have one and haven't seen many reviews from users. Seems pretty nice in terms of size. Any reason why you're leaning away from 45-175? I have one and it's quite nice. A bit more reach. Pricing right now is pretty close .

6. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    Doh! Yea I meant the 45-150... Not used to typing on tablet I guess.

Really want it for the 70 to 100 range and from the images Ive seen its smaller than the 175 which I very much like.

g5_18.

g5_19.

I would hope/guess that since its a newer lens it may be slightly improved and that also since the zoom covers a smaller range it may be more specialized. Just wishful thinking? Maybe they just wanted to offer something smaller...

• Like Like x 1
  7. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Right, but that's only when it's at its widest setting. Once you zoom in, the 45-150 gets longer, while 45-175 stays the same because its lens is all internal.

• Like Like x 2
  8. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    I've recently bought one to replace my 45-200 when weight is at a premium. It seems slightly sharper at 45mm and the tiniest amount (I couldn't really swear there's a difference) softer at 150mm. Colour/contrast is similar between the 2 lenses.

I did notice a small issue, however, and you can't really blame the lens. I initially thought the lens was soft, but I finally worked out that it's just really difficult to hold steady, due to the light weight! The 45-200 is easier because it's heavier. Even with the image stabiliser, which takes a second or two to kick in properly, I was seeing results similar to what I'd get with a full size DSLR at an equivalent focal length, without an image stabiliser.

As an aside, I tried some shots with a Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS (one of the best zooms in existence) on my G5. While they were sharper and had more contrast, the difference was very small indeed, which is a great result :)  (I also tried a cheap Canon zoom, and that was clearly inferior).

• Like Like x 1
  9. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Which is cheaper?

Hmm I am also interested in a long lens that is from Panasonic (for the OIS)
    So we got the Panasonic
    • 45-150mm
    • 45-200mm
    • 45-175mm.
    I would like to see someone put these in order of Image quality, and maybe price too.
    The asking prices for these lens are all over the place, I cant seem to make a list with out more time researching..
    And I am sure i would not want the cheapest if its also the worst performer, OTOH if the cheapest is the middle IQ lens I would get that. I am interested in the 100 and above range.

And I realize that the Max aperture at 100mm is different for all of them.
    I often prefer shooting wide open when I can.

10. dyrmaker83

dyrmaker83 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2011
    Washington, DC
    Mike
    I'm also torn between these two lenses. The tele-length sharpness and internal focus of the 45-175mm had me all set, but the color/contrast of the 45-150mm make the images I've seen so far pop.

At this point in time, the prices between the two are even at around $300 online - making the choice that much more difficult.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.