1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 42.5mm f1.7 Price (B&H)

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by tjdean01, May 7, 2016.

1. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I'm finally ready to buy this lens. My camera is a GM1 (which I plan to keep since Olympus won't make a PM3) and my older adapted lenses are a bit big for the GM1. I'm just going to go for an A7 to use my adapted 50/1.7, 85/1.8, etc. So for the GM1 my kit will be 12-32, 20, 42/1.7, 35-100. All small and capable.

Anyway, I refuse to buy from Amazon. I'd bet anyone $20 that the lenses that only 99% passed Panasonic's spec tests (off center, micro scratches on finish, etc.) are sold to Amazon at a discount. I like to buy from B&H. But it's $350 right now and I can get it on Ebay for $290. I usually pay a bit more to get it from a reputable store like Cameta, B&H, Panny.com etc for their return policy (never had to return anything though!), but I'd like to not spend an extra $60 to do so. Any advice?

2. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Sounds quite unbelievable to me. This would mean for Pana to keep a split inventory of good lenses and "bad" ones. Then amazon should accept the risk to sell bad lenses only. This should also be a well known situation for resellers asking for "the good ones" only or the "cheap ones". There should be strong rumors about this and it is the first time I hear about it. I also suspect this would be illegal for both parts. How did you make this opinion?

So my advice is: unless you are sure about this buy where you get a better price.

3. tjdean01

Feb 20, 2013
    2 Sandisk MP3 players with scratches (both returned), a defective Olympus PL2 (returned), a Vtech phone which broke after a week (too bad it sat a month before we opened it) and a PM2 with a sticky button that I kept but after 6 months I had to send it to Olympus for repair. So, no more purchases from Amazon warehouses for me.

Regardless, I'd still like to buy the 42mm for a decent price and hope for a B&H or other seller sale.

4. NY Gadget Guy

NY Gadget Guy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 17, 2016
    Panasonic EPP price is $260 + tax with free shipping.

Currently out of stock, though. May take a few weeks...

5. tjdean01

Feb 20, 2013
    Panasonic employee site! I used to have access to the old Friends & Family site but they changed it. How do I gain access?

6. acnomad

acnomad Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 5, 2016
    Andy
    I recently accessed the Panasonic employee pricing by signing up for a corporateperks.com account. Used a work email address, as I think that is required.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. johnvanatta

johnvanatta Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    Um, Amazon warehouse is their channel specifically to sell dinged/opened etc products. It's not the same as plain old Amazon...unless that's not what you meant?

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If you haven't bought yet, try Greentoe. I got mine from a reputable camera shop (authorized dealer) for quite a bit less than MSRP. (Not quite as low as $290, but still...)

9. tjdean01

Feb 20, 2013
    Well, I tried signing up to get a Panasonic corporate discount with random emails, etc., but nothing worked so I ended up breaking down and buying the lens from B&H for $347. No tax, no shipping, no hassles. I wanted to buy it from Japan on Ebay because it was around $330 but I'd rather buy from B&H for that little discount. I know there have been threads comparing the 45/1.8 to this 42/1.7 but I've never actually had the 45 so I think I'll be happy with this 42mm.

• Like Like x 1
  10. peppermonkey

peppermonkey Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2013
    Toronto, Canada
    Everyone's situation is different, and everyone would have a different view of what's acceptable or not but at least in my view, if the lens is only $60 new from B&H, compared to hopefully new and not defective ebay, I know which I would choose. If it was $200 difference, I would look hard at ebay but at just over $50...B&H no question. And just to clarify, I am one of those that buy lenses off eBay ALL the time.

[edit: specially when considering potential warranty issues]

• Like Like x 1
  11. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I bought my 42.5 and PL15 from seller winktokyo on eBay, and haven't had any problems in the year+ of ownership so far. Better yet, I saved a combined $250 on both lenses, which makes it all that much better.

Buying from eBay is sketchy only when you don't bother to do your homework...

12. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I bought my PL15 from winktokyo. I was going to buy the 42.5mm from them, too, since I really wanted silver (in addition to saving a few bucks). But I wanted to take advantage of the free 3 year warranty from Panasonic USA. So I go to send in the rebate forms last week and see the fine print that it has to be submitted within 30 days of purchase date! Oops, didn't get the warranty anyway... :doh: