Panasonic 42.5mm f1.7 Price (B&H)

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by tjdean01, May 7, 2016.

1. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I'm finally ready to buy this lens. My camera is a GM1 (which I plan to keep since Olympus won't make a PM3) and my older adapted lenses are a bit big for the GM1. I'm just going to go for an A7 to use my adapted 50/1.7, 85/1.8, etc. So for the GM1 my kit will be 12-32, 20, 42/1.7, 35-100. All small and capable.

Anyway, I refuse to buy from Amazon. I'd bet anyone $20 that the lenses that only 99% passed Panasonic's spec tests (off center, micro scratches on finish, etc.) are sold to Amazon at a discount. I like to buy from B&H. But it's $350 right now and I can get it on Ebay for $290. I usually pay a bit more to get it from a reputable store like Cameta, B&H, Panny.com etc for their return policy (never had to return anything though!), but I'd like to not spend an extra $60 to do so. Any advice?

2. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Sounds quite unbelievable to me. This would mean for Pana to keep a split inventory of good lenses and "bad" ones. Then amazon should accept the risk to sell bad lenses only. This should also be a well known situation for resellers asking for "the good ones" only or the "cheap ones". There should be strong rumors about this and it is the first time I hear about it. I also suspect this would be illegal for both parts. How did you make this opinion?

So my advice is: unless you are sure about this buy where you get a better price.

3. tjdean01

Feb 20, 2013
    2 Sandisk MP3 players with scratches (both returned), a defective Olympus PL2 (returned), a Vtech phone which broke after a week (too bad it sat a month before we opened it) and a PM2 with a sticky button that I kept but after 6 months I had to send it to Olympus for repair. So, no more purchases from Amazon warehouses for me.

Regardless, I'd still like to buy the 42mm for a decent price and hope for a B&H or other seller sale.

4. NY Gadget Guy

NY Gadget Guy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 17, 2016
    Panasonic EPP price is $260 + tax with free shipping.

Currently out of stock, though. May take a few weeks...

5. tjdean01

Feb 20, 2013
    Panasonic employee site! I used to have access to the old Friends & Family site but they changed it. How do I gain access?

6. acnomad

acnomad Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 5, 2016
    Andy
    I recently accessed the Panasonic employee pricing by signing up for a corporateperks.com account. Used a work email address, as I think that is required.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. johnvanatta

johnvanatta Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    Um, Amazon warehouse is their channel specifically to sell dinged/opened etc products. It's not the same as plain old Amazon...unless that's not what you meant?

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Legend

If you haven't bought yet, try Greentoe. I got mine from a reputable camera shop (authorized dealer) for quite a bit less than MSRP. (Not quite as low as $290, but still...)

9. tjdean01

Feb 20, 2013
    Well, I tried signing up to get a Panasonic corporate discount with random emails, etc., but nothing worked so I ended up breaking down and buying the lens from B&H for $347. No tax, no shipping, no hassles. I wanted to buy it from Japan on Ebay because it was around $330 but I'd rather buy from B&H for that little discount. I know there have been threads comparing the 45/1.8 to this 42/1.7 but I've never actually had the 45 so I think I'll be happy with this 42mm.

• Like Like x 1
  10. peppermonkey

peppermonkey Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2013
    Toronto, Canada
    Everyone's situation is different, and everyone would have a different view of what's acceptable or not but at least in my view, if the lens is only $60 new from B&H, compared to hopefully new and not defective ebay, I know which I would choose. If it was $200 difference, I would look hard at ebay but at just over $50...B&H no question. And just to clarify, I am one of those that buy lenses off eBay ALL the time.

[edit: specially when considering potential warranty issues]

• Like Like x 1
  11. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I bought my 42.5 and PL15 from seller winktokyo on eBay, and haven't had any problems in the year+ of ownership so far. Better yet, I saved a combined $250 on both lenses, which makes it all that much better.

Buying from eBay is sketchy only when you don't bother to do your homework...

12. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Legend

I bought my PL15 from winktokyo. I was going to buy the 42.5mm from them, too, since I really wanted silver (in addition to saving a few bucks). But I wanted to take advantage of the free 3 year warranty from Panasonic USA. So I go to send in the rebate forms last week and see the fine print that it has to be submitted within 30 days of purchase date! Oops, didn't get the warranty anyway... :doh:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.