1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 42.5

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by pellicle, Feb 23, 2015.

1. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    • Like Like x 1
  2. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    It'd be tough to best the O45. OIS is a bonus, however, but will the new Panny be as sharp; and as lightweight? I guess we'll find out!

3. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
  4. gravijaflare

gravijaflare Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2014
    A planet called Gaia
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  5. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Bang for the buck is a used Olympus at $200-ish.

6. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I like the O45, but I might consider switching if the new one renders like some of my favorite P/PL lenses. If its close to the O45, its probably not worth the bother since its not a main FL for me.

7. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    I like your style :)

I'm usually the one thrashing "bang for buck a used GH1 .... or GF1 ... " :)

8. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    heck that makes it look a little slimmer than the Oly and still they manage to get OIS in there ... now this is what I've been talking about since 2009!

Compact lenses!!!

9. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I like the idea of the 42.5mm, but c'mon, I'd be lucky to net $200 selling my Olympus and then I'd have to add $200 more to get the Panasonic.

10. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    I know ... I'm in the same boat ... although I only paid $300 for my 45

to be honest I'm probably not going to move because for me the OIS just isn't that important ... people move.

11. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Given the number of times when photographing flowers when I wished that the O45 would focus just a little bit closer, this appeals greatly.

12. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    Yes the close focus is a bigger appeal for me than the OIS. I doubt I'll swap though - the Oly 45mm is a good performer with the only real drawbacks being the close focus and slightly clinical rendering, but I've got plenty of 50 legacy lenses to choose from when either of those things is a big issue.

13. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    question ... will the shorter focal length mean you'll need to be closer to get the same apparent size?

14. wjiang

Yes, but it's only 2.5mm difference so only very slightly. The key thing is that the 45mm has a maximum magnification ratio of 0.11x, while the 42.5mm is 0.2x. It will always be easier to fill the frame in macro with a higher magnification ratio.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. davidavdavid

davidavdavid Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 2, 2015
    I made it to the Birmingham Photo Show and spent a great deal of time at the Panasonic exhibit where I worked my through their ENTIRE range of lenses. The new 42.5mm f 1.7 and 30mm f 2.8 caught be my surprise...so compact, so agile and the feel was/is fluid. I was not prepared and pleasantly surprised.

As I have mentioned in another of my posts, when possible I will aim to match lens manufacturers with camera manufacturers, hence with Panasonic G6/G5 bodies, all of my lenses are Panasonic Lumix.

At the show I compared the Olympus 45 to the Panasonic 42.5 so if I were to buy one or the other from scratch I'd go with the Panasonic.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
  17. wjiang

Yip, the fast ones sharpen even more somewhat when stopping down until about f/4, but are still quite sharp wide open and are certainly super sharp by f/2.8. I don't know of any native m4/3 lens (excluding maybe the body caps) that are actually poor wide open, at least not in the centre. This ones seems a tad sharper than the 45mm, but seems to have more C/A - there seems to be quite a bit, need to see more samples to judge how much of a problem it is.

18. wjiang

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Wow, the 42.5/1.7 looks very good in the sample comparisons by Gordon Laing against the 45/1.8. Great to have one more excellent option for m4/3 owners!