1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 42.5 f1.2 vs 1.7....

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by damianmkv, Oct 4, 2015.

1. damianmkv

damianmkv Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 7, 2014
    Surrey, England
    is it utter madness to want the bigger, heavier, more expensive f1.2 ? Three times the price of the f1.7 for a smidgen of depth of field that most wouldn't even notice..

Ok, it's apparently the m43 lens, sharper than a sharp thing with zero issues such as purple nasties BUT would I be better keeping the difference in my bank and going for the f1.7 instead ?

2. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Yes.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    It's not madness, but the question gets tougher the better the lens. At the upper scale of lens quality there are diminishing returns, so you really have to decide if that premium price is worth that little extra bit of IQ.

4. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    There's definitely the law of diminishing returns here. There's also no question the 42.5/1.2 is the better lens. Whether the $1200+ difference is worth the IQ difference is up to you, your bank account and possibly even your significant other.

5. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    If you have to ask the answer is no (I mean it's just GAS, go for the 1.7).

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. MichaelSewell

MichaelSewell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    If you're a professional, the answer is weighed against the benefits to your work portfolio, and whether it may bring extra work, or a distinct advantage. Ultimately, will it pay for itself, and how long before it brings profit?
    If you are purely an enthusiast, then it tends to be down to a couple of points. Can you afford it, will it add to the pleasure you get from your photography. Most importantly, will your partner understand the outlay?
    If you are semi-pro, the answer tends to lie somewhere between the two, although a purchase can seem more affordable at this level.

Do it! :biggrin:

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    If I were shooting professionally, I'd spend the $1600 on the 42.5/1.7 or 45/1.8, a second body and a 17mm or 25mm.

As an amateur, I'd go for the 42.5/1.7 or 45/1.8, a second body and a 17mm or 25mm.

I'd rather have several excellent lenses and some back-up than one slightly better lens.

Fred

8. RVJ

RVJ Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2015
    Saint Louis, MO
    The 42.5 f/1.7 has really good IQ and is very comparable, if not better than the Oly 45mm (debatable). There are several reviews by reputable photographers you can find that will compare the two panasonic lenses. You can make the decision based on what type of photography needs you have.

9. MichaelSewell

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    Agreed, although I was assuming we were talking about the need to buy the one lens, and as a professional, all backup equipment was already in place.

10. ashburtononline

ashburtononline Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    Hi Fred, as a working professional, the f1.2 was my 3rd m43 lens purchase. 12-40 / 75.f1.8 / then Nocticron / then 40-150 pro. To compete with FF pros, you need THE BEST m43 lenses ..... nearly does not cut it.

With a Nikon FF system you may get away with the 85 f1.8 over the f1.4 but not on m43. The Nocticron may only be 10% better than the f1.7 (but AT F1.2 I'ts GOLD) ..... its those little edges that make the difference :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. MichaelSewell

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    And this is why I'm currently test shooting the Olympus system, to decide whether or not I dump my Nikon kit.
    There's a few challenges due to the lack of support from third party developers. (no hypersynch workaround as yet, reduced range of speedlight options/batterypacks blah blah blah).
    However, I find I'm being a little more creative in my approach to circumnavigating these challenges.
    The number of areas where the Nikon wins is reducing almost daily, and whilst I haven't told my photographers/assistants I'm thinking of dumping Nikon, I think I've already made the decision, even if I haven't admitted it to myself.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. damianmkv

damianmkv Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 7, 2014
    Surrey, England
    thanks for the responses - I'm certainly not a pro and even though I can afford it, I always have the feeling that I could spend the money "better" on other things. Like yet another handbag or pair of shoes for my wife :hide:

• Funny Funny x 4
  13. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Lol, gotta keep the Mrs. happy so that you can continue to buy camera stuff without her raising an eyebrow. I think we've all been there.

14. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    Too true...

15. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    I've been shooting the E-M1 for almost two years now and I have yet to have a customer ask, talk, or mention anything about changes in my photos. I've even posted a few large prints (from the same shoots) from the D800 and m4/3s right next to each other (both at 30" on the long side) to see if I could hear comments.

I don't do comparisons between 4/3, APS-C, and 35mm (FF), but I do shoot differently with the m4/3 than the FF. I'm probably more inclined to use a longer or wider focal length as compared with FF, and I use minimum distances more than before. e.g. I'll use the 75mm f/1.8 before hauling out the Nikon 85mm f/1.4.

I'm in full agreement with what @MichaelSewell@MichaelSewell said in Post #6. Yet in this case I have not jumped on the Panasonic Leica or Voigtlander even knowing that I will have more options for depth of field.

16. MichaelSewell

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    Oddly enough, the one client I thought I would definitely have a problem with when switching from Nikon D4 to E-M1 for the food photography, was Getty Images.

Not a murmur

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I was given the Nocticron by a dear friend/mentor just before he passed away (he was 97). This lens brings out the best in the m43's sensor IMHO. I have mixed feelings because I lost a dear, beloved friend and whenever I pick it up I always think of my friend. In time I hope my feelings will be of more happy times such as when we went out photographing together. In any case I'm thankful that a retired (fixed income) working class slob like myself can own such a fantastic lens even though the cost was too high. I've been offered a lot of money for it but could never part with this generous gift due to my emotional attachment to this optic.

Dear Lewie,
    Thanks dear friend for your generosity and most of all thank you for decades as a good friend.:friends:
    Bobby

• Like Like x 4
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Gerard

Gerard Mu-43 All-Pro

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
    Happy is he, who has dear friends

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  19. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    I think the Nocticron has turned out to be worth the price for me because I'm using it for about 50% of shots I take indoors. Another stop of light really helps, and it's not crazy thin DOF like f1.2 on FF.