1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 42.5 1.7 vs. Olympus 45 1.8 Experiences

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by xvvvz, Oct 18, 2015.

1. xvvvz

xvvvz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2013
    There are probably others here who are considering whether to upgrade their Oly 45 1.8 to a new Panasonic 42.5 1.7. Some of the online reviews, particularly the one at Cameralab, indicated the 42.5 offered improvement. Maybe it is just sample variation issues but some of us are finding that the 42.5 isn't a definite upgrade. I am not slamming the 42.5, it has its good aspects, but if you are considering "upgrading" to a 42.5, you might find the following thread to be a worthy read:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3912498

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Benzy

Benzy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2014
    No issues with lack of sharpness. Both lenses are fantastic. Personally, I like the characteristics of the Panasonic background blur over the Oly. The pansonic background is smoother at f/1.7 IMO.

Reading the linked thread it appears opinions sway toward the Panasonic edging out the Oly slightly.

3. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    My concern about the P42.5 are reviews that it is "noisy" which would make it problematic for video. For stills, it seems the differences between the Olympus and Panasonic are "splitting hairs".

4. Benzy

Benzy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2014
    I agree its splitting hairs on sharpness. But the Panasonic background does look creamier to me. Might be my copy, or more so my copy of the oly45 I had. I was never thrilled with the bokeh.

I actually purchased the 42.5 primarily for stabilized low light video on my gx7, so hopefully no issues there. I don't anticipate any issues from test footage.

5. xvvvz

xvvvz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2013
    FWIW, the lens motor sounds were nothing I really noticed in terms of stills but I didn't do any video so I can't give any useful insight for that. I will say that the 42.5's auto focus seemed about twice as fast to achieve focus compared to the Olympus. I did note in my comments that sometimes when there were differences it was splitting hairs. Unfortunately, at other times the difference in quality was very noticeable. Out of focus quality is a nice characteristic but it is secondary to getting the best resolution of the primary subject.

As the thread points out, users are getting variable results so everyone needs to be aware of "sample variation roulette wheel." Panasonic issue? Olympus issue? Both Panasonic and Olympus issue? Who knows. What is certain is that sample variation to the degree I and others have seen shouldn't be happening with lenses that show list prices of $400.

6. mawz

mawz New to Mu-43

Mar 2, 2013
    I've been looking into this extensively and came up with the following practical differences:

Panny focuses much closer (0.3m vs 0.5m mfd, a fairly notable 1:5 vs 1:9 magnification)
    Panny is better built
    Panny has OIS for the mixed system or Panny shooter.
    Oly can be had cheaper, much cheaper on used market
    Oly has smoother OOF rendering
    Oly comes in silver

Both lenses share one weakness, the 37mm filter threads. Why oh why did Panasonic make this mistake, unlike Olympus they didn't have another prime to match filter threads with at 37mm, all other Panasonic primes are 46mm or larger. Only was matching their sole other prime at the time of release (the 17/2.8)

7. gravijaflare

gravijaflare Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2014
    A planet called Gaia
    the panasonic also comes in silver, though not available in all regions.

head.jpg
    http://panasonic.jp/dc/lens/lumix_g_42_5/

but i agree that they should have made it use a 46mm filter thread.. good thing i also have the olympus mcon-p02 which has a 37mm to 46mm step-up ring.

8. m4/3boy

m4/3boy Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 21, 2013
    "footage"?

9. Benzy

Benzy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2014
    Yes, footage. It's still a valid word.

10. m4/3boy

m4/3boy Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 21, 2013
    How is it valid if film or video tape isn't being used?

11. Pili

Pili Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2012
    Boulder, CO
    Alex
    I'm liking the 42.5 a lot. Good price at 300 and has image stabilization as I'm thinking about switching to the next GH (whenever that comes out). The focus is a little noisy, but it doesn't bother me at all for stills. I also like the bokeh, it has a smidgen of that nice spherical look of the 42.5 1.2. Focus is sometimes iffy in low light on the EM-5, but I'm sure thats body. The only minor issue is some CA and fringing wide open, but it's super easy to fix in lightroom. Really a non issue.

12. Benzy

Benzy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2014
    Because 99% of the English speaking world understands it to mean a segment of video.

13. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    It measures the length of time wasted in having a pointless semantic argument. In feet.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Well here is the question I have. Does the Panasonic lens act the same on an Olympus as it does on a Panasonic? And by that I mean, some panasonic lenses will have their images corrected upon capture with a panasonic camera vs. an Oly. I think the 20mm had this issue on Oly cameras, right?

15. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm sorry, but it is actually measured in decimeters.

16. SojiOkita

SojiOkita Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    The distorsion correction is made on Olympus and Panasonic bodies.
    This is important even when you shoot RAW because the image you see on screen takes into account the distorsion correction (and it can have a huge impact on framing).
    Concerning "panasonic only" correction, its for some chromatic aberrations (and applicable to JPEG only).

17. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    The 20mm (both versions afaik) have banding problems at high ISO levels on at least some Oly bodies. This is not an image correction problem, it is due to vibration of the aperture blades if not shooting wide open. I don't know why it doesn't show up with Pana bodies.

Barry

18. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

There are actually optical 'corrections' that impact the result. For instance, the filter stack on a Panasonic sensor is slightly different, and is more effective at removing the UV end of the spectrum compared to Olympus. Hence why all the complaints about more severe purple blobs and fringes with Panasonic lenses on Olympus bodies. Olympus prefer to do it in lens optically, Panasonic on the sensor stack optically.

19. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    No, the banding at high ISO issue on some Olympus bodies has nothing to do with corrections.
    Fred

Edit: I should have read the rest of the posts. Barry beat me to this.

20. G3user

G3user Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2013
    UK
    Well, gravijaflare provided a nice example of some 'footage'. ;)