Panasonic 42.5/1.7?!? and 30/2.8

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by EarthQuake, Feb 23, 2015.

1. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    Panasonic just announced two new lenses:

I think everyone knew the 30/2.8 was coming, so I won't say much about that one.

However, the 42.5/1.7 is really surprising to me, especially since Panasonic released the 42.5/1.2 in recent memory. Obviously this will be a very different lens, much lighter, smaller, and less expensive. On the other hand it looks to be very similar to the existing 45/1.8 so I question the reasoning for yet another duplicate focal length prime.

Personally, I was betting that if someone came out with another 45 or 42.5 portrait prime it would be Olympus with a 1.4 aperture to offer something between the 45/1.8 and the Nocticron.

I suppose with OIS, this will make a great lens for video shooting on Panasonic bodies, or on the diminutive GM1 and GM5 bodies which do not have IBIS like the GX7. The Panasonic 42.5 also offers a close focus distance of 31cm vs 50cm, and I bet the build quality will be a bit nicer than the Olympus as well (it could hardly be any worse).

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  2. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Having previously owned the Olympus 45mm and not particularly caring for its rendering (despite it being an excellent lens from a sharpness and AF standpoint), I like the idea of the Panasonic 42.5 f1.7. Hopefully it will render similarly to the 20mm f1.7 which I am a fan of. I also appreciate the OIS seeing as I am now shooting primarily on a Panasonic camera that does not have IBIS.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. danieru

danieru Mu-43 Regular

Nov 6, 2011
    Only reason I would consider the panasonic 42.5 f1.7 is if I had a panasonic body and needed OIS, if OIS isn't a concern than only if it's cheaper than the Olympus 45 f1.8 or has better image quality.

But yeah, it looks like panasonic just want to offer a cheaper lens than their own 42.5 f1.2 not considering the olympus line.
  4. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    The price is 399 euros for either lens. I've yet to see US pricing, but wouldn't be surprised if it was $399 USD as well.
  5. danieru

danieru Mu-43 Regular

Nov 6, 2011
    In that case I'd opt for the olympus, just because I have an olympuse body, otherwise it's still a good price considering the panasonic one has OIS and is probably more expensive to built, not considering image quality that being an unknown factor at the moment.
  6. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Is it weather sealed?
  7. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    This was a surprise. I guess Panasonic wants to capture some sales currently going Olympus whose 45mm/1.8 is the only game in town if you're looking for an affordable autofocus bright portrait prime.
    I already have the 45mm so this is of little interest to me. I can't imagine it being better than Olympus optically .
  8. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Although it's definitely not a needed lens when looking at the m43 lens portfolio, it's a nice offering with the inclusion of Power OIS for Panasonic camera owners. It should allow for some pretty slow shutter speeds while remaining sharp (4 stops should put you at about 1/5 s). The closer focusing distance is very impressive as well, and should make for a great macro lens when paired with the Olympus MCON-P02 adapter.

I previously owned the Olympus 45mm, and ended up selling it because I didn't use it all that much. Recently I've been thinking about buying it again after looking at the pictures I took with it, but after seeing this news it's basically a no-brainer to get the Panasonic version.
  9. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    In fact I'd say it looks like an exact clone of my 45 (if I didn't have the silver one).
  10. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Other than having a cheaper option at the 42.5 focal length and taking away sales from the Sigma 30/2.8, I don't quite understand this release.

Aren't most people wanting longer primes like a 100mm or 300mm? That's what a lot of the forums and internet chatter has lead me to believe. There is also some chatter about wanting some mid range zoom lenses, so why not a constant f/4 aperture wide to medium and medium to long telephoto?

If the IQ of the 42.5/1.7 is anywhere near the 1.2, I can see that lens eating into the faster aperture lens sales. Just seems odd to me.

The Panasonic 30/2.8 is double the price of the Sigma offering, so if all things are equal or so close as to not make a difference, then I don't see why people would shell out the extra $200 for a Panasonic lens when the Sigma will be just as good. Maybe the OIS is worth it to some. Then again, I am spoiled because I have OMD bodies and everything is stabilized.

Bottom line, in my head, it just seems that the time and money would be better spent filling a void in the lens line ups and not replicating existing offerings.
  11. mjw

mjw Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    The MTF chart for the new 42.5 is pretty impressive. It's quite possible that it'll be a nicer lens than the Oly 45/1.8.
  12. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    42.5 would've been much more compelling when the m43 system first debuted (instead of that PL 45mm f/2.8). This and the 20mm f/1.7 would've been awesome.
  13. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    These are not partnerships. At the end of the day, neither Olympus or Panasonic is putting money into a common profits pool. Each shop is about taking market share from the other. Bring on the competition.
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Agreed - Let's see a 100mm f2, Panasonic!
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm very interested to see how it performs, and the OIS is nice. But honestly, many of us have in body I.S. and the 45mm f1.8 is so good and so cheap that I can't imagine many people were waiting on this lens. Of course it's not Leica branded, so maybe the price will be reasonable.

The 42-45mm area is kind of crowded already. I would have rather a 52.5mm or a 67.5mm so we could have something faster than the Sigma in between 45 and 75mm. (and 105 and 135mm equiv are nice longer portrait lengths)

30mm f2.8 is kind of boring, even if it is a macro. If they could have squeezed f2 out of it, I think a lot of people might have considered it a nice all around long normal prime.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    Anyone see dimensions and weight on the new 42.5 yet?
  17. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Olympus did the same thing with the 25mm 1.8 which took sales away from the Panasonic 20mm and 25mm lenses. Can you imagine if Nikon and Canon shared the same mount? They'd be bringing out all sorts of crazy lenses trying to one-up each other! Internal competition is what makes M43 the best mirrorless system right now!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

No, but based on this picture and taking the 37mm filter size and the size of the lens mount, I'd say they pretty much tried to clone the Olympus 45mm

19. sdb123

sdb123 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 25, 2014
    Northants, UK
    Intrigued by the plus is the closer mfd (0.31 vs 0.5 for the Olympus 45mm).
  20. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010