1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 3D LUMIX G 12.5mm/F12 Lens $69.00

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Chuck-B&H, May 14, 2012.

1. Chuck-B&H

Chuck-B&H Sponsor

Apr 28, 2012
  2. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I used to shoot 3D slides on an old '50s Stereo Realist. And I keep looking at this lens and the LOREO 3D lens. First off, is this Panasonic lens compatible with the Olympus E-M5? And I have no intention of viewing the files on a 3D screen or shooting 3D video...... could I just send these files to a lab for printing traditional 3D slides to be viewed in a viewer?

I've really had a hard time finding answers to these questions. Thanks in advance for your time.

• Like Like x 1
  3. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    You can make the lens work with any M43 camera, it just won't be automatic like it is with the supported Panasonic cameras. Even on a supported camera, I prefer to use it as a dumb lens by spoofing the system. Panasonic went out of their way to cripple the support for this lens so that it wouldn't compete with their other 3D product.

Here's a thread about the challenges.

using Lumix 3D lens with GH1 - The GetDPI Photography Forums

4. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    So will this work with the scene mode option "3D" on the E-P3 or is this option for an upcoming Olympus lens. I ask as there are scene modes for wide,macro, and fisheye that are to be used with the Olympus add ons.

5. Chuck-B&H

Chuck-B&H Sponsor

Apr 28, 2012
    Hello,

@Luke Digital files can be transferred to slide film via a device called a "film recorder". You would need to find a specialized lab that still provides this service. E6 processing is disappearing so I am not sure how easy this will be.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Would it be possible to get a response...yes,no, don't know. Any response would be appreciated.

7. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Grinch......the E-P3 3d mode works with regular lenses. Here's how it works..... The E-P3’s 3D Photo Mode lets you release the shutter and slowly pan until the camera automatically takes a second image from a slightly different (left eye/right eye) perspective. The 3D data is processed in camera producing an .MPO file, the industry standard for display on 3D televisions or laptops

8. Chuck-B&H

Chuck-B&H Sponsor

Apr 28, 2012
    Hello,

I am sorry Grinch, I thought you were discussing the issue with other members. Although the premise of the 4/3rd's mount is a universally accepted lens mount, the various manufacturers never say if or what functionality will or will not work when a lens say like the Panasonic 3D LUMIX G 12.5mm/F12 Lens is used on a non supported body. I am sorry for the delay in responding. This is really something that requires testing and I am not able to do so.