Panasonic 35-100mm step up ring...

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by evilnim, May 19, 2014.

1. evilnim

evilnim Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Birmingham
    Hi all,

With the arrival of my son, I've found myself having little to no time to change lenses or compose pictures as I used to. As such, I'm going through a mid-life crisis, or a mid-lens crisis, and am having a radical change with primes largely out and fast zooms largely in.

I've sold a bunch of stuff and have been lucky enough to get a used Olympus 12-40 (arrived, it is awesome) and Panasonic 35-100 (not arrived yet, but hoping it will be awesome) for reasonable prices.

My question to all you Panny 35-100 owners out there;

Do any of you guys use a step up ring and 62mm filters on your 35-100? IF so, does it work out ok? I know the problems usually come with step downs at the wide angle (e.g. using a 58mm on the 12-40 I've seen reports of vignetting at the 12-13 end).

I'm keen to get a couple of ND filters for the 12-40 and a circular polarising filter for the 35-100, but I kind of feel that I should get a one size fits both approach just in case I need to use them on both.

Would be grateful for your help guys.

Cheers

N

2. evilnim

evilnim Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Birmingham
    Just realised that a step up ring would make it difficult/impossible to fit the lens hood on...and with the potential for flare tat wouldn't be ideal I guess.

Looks like ill be going for two lots of filters then.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

3. Timmy

Timmy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 3, 2013
    Wiltshire - UK
    I don't own that lens but you should be fine with step up rings in terms of image quality.

You can always get a hood that screws into the actual filter for outdoor work - there's many to choose from, and they are particularly useful for CPL filters as they allow you to rotate easily without poking your fingers in.

I've tried using a single filter for multiple lenses, but just ended up getting ones with the native thread size because of the hassle!

4. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    You could also sell the 12-40, and get a 12-35, since it shares a 58mm filter thread with the 35-100.

I just got a 12-35 (purchased used from this forum), and am VERY happy with the lens. It's definitely smaller than the 12-40 is, although it doesn't have the extra 5mm on the long end, and can't focus quite as close (though I have an Olympus 45 with the MCON-P02 as my pseudo macro lens).

If you're going to invest in quality filters, the cost can rise quickly if you're buying 2 of the same filter in 58 & 62mm sizes. Although you *may* lose some money on the lens swap (or not, you may be able to do a straight up trade), you'll make it back by not duplicating your filters.

Your other option would be to go with a screw-in lens hood (one like this). It should work with a 70-200mm equivalent lens, and the slightly larger diameter would help slightly with any potential vignetting. Granted, this isn't a reversible hood, but it is rigid so it will help protect the lens in the event of an accident. I would email the seller and ask how long or deep the lens hood is, and compare it to the standard lens hood for the 35-100. The only problem is that the lens ships from Hong Kong, so it may take a while to arrive. You can also check with seller heavystar on ebay. He sells the same style lens hoods, but they ship from the US so they arrive much quicker. I have two of these style lens hoods for the 25 and 45mm lenses, and am very happy with them.

5. evilnim

evilnim Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Birmingham
    Thanks both. I didn't think about screw in hoods...that could work.

I did consider the 12-35 initially, and the filter size was noted, but the Oly 12-40 ticked my boxes more...particularly as my 60mm macro may reluctantly have to go to fund this (I'm too much of a casual macro shooter though I do love the lens).

Love this forum. Always help available when needed.

6. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    yeah the only problem you will have with a step up ring will be the hood issue, will work fine otherwise.

7. Pili

Pili Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2012
    Boulder, CO
    Alex
    I used the 35-100 (without hood) recently to shoot a music festival in cloudy, rainy, sunny, and strobe light conditions and didn't experience any noticeable flare or loss of contrast. I wouldn't stress over not being able to use the hood.

-Alex

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.