Panasonic 35-100mm step up ring...

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by evilnim, May 19, 2014.

1. evilnim

evilnim Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2012
    Hi all,

With the arrival of my son, I've found myself having little to no time to change lenses or compose pictures as I used to. As such, I'm going through a mid-life crisis, or a mid-lens crisis, and am having a radical change with primes largely out and fast zooms largely in.

I've sold a bunch of stuff and have been lucky enough to get a used Olympus 12-40 (arrived, it is awesome) and Panasonic 35-100 (not arrived yet, but hoping it will be awesome) for reasonable prices.

My question to all you Panny 35-100 owners out there;

Do any of you guys use a step up ring and 62mm filters on your 35-100? IF so, does it work out ok? I know the problems usually come with step downs at the wide angle (e.g. using a 58mm on the 12-40 I've seen reports of vignetting at the 12-13 end).

I'm keen to get a couple of ND filters for the 12-40 and a circular polarising filter for the 35-100, but I kind of feel that I should get a one size fits both approach just in case I need to use them on both.

Would be grateful for your help guys.

2. evilnim

evilnim Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2012
    Just realised that a step up ring would make it difficult/impossible to fit the lens hood on...and with the potential for flare tat wouldn't be ideal I guess.

Looks like ill be going for two lots of filters then.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app
  3. Timmy

Timmy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 3, 2013
    Wiltshire - UK
    I don't own that lens but you should be fine with step up rings in terms of image quality.

You can always get a hood that screws into the actual filter for outdoor work - there's many to choose from, and they are particularly useful for CPL filters as they allow you to rotate easily without poking your fingers in.

I've tried using a single filter for multiple lenses, but just ended up getting ones with the native thread size because of the hassle!
  4. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    You could also sell the 12-40, and get a 12-35, since it shares a 58mm filter thread with the 35-100.

I just got a 12-35 (purchased used from this forum), and am VERY happy with the lens. It's definitely smaller than the 12-40 is, although it doesn't have the extra 5mm on the long end, and can't focus quite as close (though I have an Olympus 45 with the MCON-P02 as my pseudo macro lens).

If you're going to invest in quality filters, the cost can rise quickly if you're buying 2 of the same filter in 58 & 62mm sizes. Although you *may* lose some money on the lens swap (or not, you may be able to do a straight up trade), you'll make it back by not duplicating your filters.

Your other option would be to go with a screw-in lens hood (one like this). It should work with a 70-200mm equivalent lens, and the slightly larger diameter would help slightly with any potential vignetting. Granted, this isn't a reversible hood, but it is rigid so it will help protect the lens in the event of an accident. I would email the seller and ask how long or deep the lens hood is, and compare it to the standard lens hood for the 35-100. The only problem is that the lens ships from Hong Kong, so it may take a while to arrive. You can also check with seller heavystar on ebay. He sells the same style lens hoods, but they ship from the US so they arrive much quicker. I have two of these style lens hoods for the 25 and 45mm lenses, and am very happy with them.
  5. evilnim

evilnim Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2012
    Thanks both. I didn't think about screw in hoods...that could work.

I did consider the 12-35 initially, and the filter size was noted, but the Oly 12-40 ticked my boxes more...particularly as my 60mm macro may reluctantly have to go to fund this (I'm too much of a casual macro shooter though I do love the lens).

Love this forum. Always help available when needed.
  6. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    yeah the only problem you will have with a step up ring will be the hood issue, will work fine otherwise.
  7. Pili

Pili Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2012
    Boulder, CO
    I used the 35-100 (without hood) recently to shoot a music festival in cloudy, rainy, sunny, and strobe light conditions and didn't experience any noticeable flare or loss of contrast. I wouldn't stress over not being able to use the hood.