Panasonic 35-100 ...

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by jeffryscott, Sep 17, 2012.

1. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    Appears to list at $1499 US and "available" Nov. 19. Any ideas on street price and availability in the US?

I'm sure it is a good lens and between it and the 12-35 would make a nice kit, but I really am still hoping for an Oly 55-200 port of the 4/3 lens (as well as the 12-60 port). I can live with slightly less speed for a lot less cost.

2. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Good question... when the G5 was announced it turned out to be available well before Panasonic's estimated date IIRC, so who knows how things may go with the GH3 and 35-100mm. I've got my pre-orders in and my expectations are november/december timeframe personally.

I agree a high quality 12-60 and 55-200 would be a decent alternative pairing, but I think it's safe to say there won't be one any time in the immediate future since Olympus has just announced several other new products already including ones still in development for 2013. Given that, I'm going with the 12-35 and 35-100 that's available now (well, soon) rather than waiting for something that may or may not happen. But then I'm an impatient person :tongue:

3. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    Amen. Exact same sentiments here. But may I add, also the Oly 2-lens combination would have greater reach.

4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I would add at least another 4 months to constant US availability (remember the Lumix 20mm)

5. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    Why is the price so high? Is this a Leica co-venture like the 25mm?

6. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I don't believe there is any Leica involvement in either of the 12-35 or 35-100 zooms.

The price is high because they're weather sealed, constant (fast) aperture zoom lenses with very high optical quality and OIS.

7. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    High (metal) build quality, too, which also adds to cost.

AS for constant aperture, well not quite, at least in the case of the 12-35. Watch the diaphragm from the front of the lens, with the camera turned on, as you zoom. You'll see that the diaphragm actually adjusts in 4 discreet steps. In between those steps the effective f-stop changes as you zoom.

You can see it very visually by shooting a video. As you zoom in, the image gradually darkens until the aperture adjusts, at which time the image suddenly gets brighter. This lens really is NOT a constant aperture zoom, in spite of Panasonic's marketing.

Check it out here: https://www.mu-43.com/f38/12-35mm-x-constant-aperture-through-zoom-32435/

• Like Like x 1
  8. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Yeah... I saw that thread but:

1) It only matters for video use when you'd be seeing the effect of the fluctuating aperture as the lens is actually in the process of zooming.
    2) Off the top of my head I can't come up with a better descriptor other than 'constant' since the effective aperture remains f/2.8 throughout the focal range.

Given the above, I didn't want to get super pedantic about it since it was a lot easier to just say "constant aperture". :biggrin:

9. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    I'm impatient as well, but not $2800 impatient (but it is mostly that I can't afford them. It would be a no brainer if I could) :frown:

10. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    No, it's NOT f 2.8 through the range. As you zoom, it changes gradually from 2.8 to something smaller (maybe 3.5 or so), then snaps back to 2.8, then gradually gets smaller, then snaps back.....

It doesn't continually get smaller, like an f 2.8 to 4.0 would, but it's certainly not "constant." I don't see a similar pattern with any of my Canon f 2.8 zooms.

Like you, I'm not sure what I'd call it, but I think Panasonic's claims are misleading.

11. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    There is that (something has to go for me to afford these lenses myself), but I'm sure any fast aperture Olympus zooms with high optical quality wouldn't be cheap either. So start saving now, either way :smile:

12. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    The camera/lens is recording f/2.8 as the aperture at every focal length between 12-35mm - so are you saying Panasonic is misreporting the actual aperture of the lens in the firmware then? If that's the case and is demonstrably happening even in stills mode, then I would have an issue with that.

FWIW, I don't see the "stepping" happening when the camera is off, so it may be firmware related. The 7-14mm f/4.0 lens appears to operate in a similar fashion as far as I can tell; was this type of issue reported about it as well?

13. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    I was (mildly) interested in this lens but the price is way too high for me, so no thanks.

14. Hudsonhites

Hudsonhites Mu-43 Regular

Jul 14, 2011
    NYC
    Yes the price is steep but there's no other telezoom with even decent speed to use when the light gets low.

I won't be getting one right away but unless there rumors of something close from olympus I'll get one within the year

15. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Without slighting users for whom video is important (not an interest of mine on this platform), what happens if the lens is used for still photography and the camera is set for aperture priority at f/2.8 - when the lens is zoomed in or out, do the aperture blades move?

16. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Yes, the blades move. The issue being discussed is that they appear to move in "steps" rather than a smooth transition. Conversely if the camera is off, you can see a smooth transition of aperture as the lens is zoomed.

My point above was the camera is still reporting f/2.8 so possibly there's more than meets the eye to the aperture operation. For example, maybe it is adjusting the aperture open further after the shutter is pressed (in stills mode obviously). Alternatively, the lens is "lying" to the camera in firmware and reporting f/2.8 when it's actually a slightly smaller aperture between "steps" of adjustment, which I would have an issue with.

I know next to nothing about lens design and build, so I'm asking the question out of genuine interest on my part and not pushing either answer as correct.

17. CPWarner

CPWarner Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    Cliff
    So I took photos at 20mm and 21mm, which happens to be on either side of the "skip". Aperture priority at f2.8. One can see a shift in screen brightness on the EM-5 as one zooms between 20 and 21, but in the photos it is subtle. Going back to 20mm and adding a 1/3 stop exposure bias had a larger effect on the histogram than the step change in the aperture. So, from my relatively crude test, I would say that the variation is more like 1/6 of a stop effect. My thoughts are that this is probably an artifact that they do not have a small enough step size in their aperture. I.e. they have digital control with insufficient step size to approximate the continuous change in diameter needed.

My opinion is that it does not in any way diminish the utility of this lens for stills shooters. For video, if you zoom in the video, you will see it, otherwise it is a non event. I have been using this lens for a couple months and it is very good. This slight fluctuation in the minimum aperture has never come into play in the field for me, but I do not shoot video.

18. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    There's a simple way to find out how much it changes. 12mm @ f/2.8 is a entrance pupil of 4.286mm. Find the first step after 12 and divide the focal length right before it by 4.286. That should give the F-number.

19. jar

jar Mu-43 Regular

Jun 25, 2012
    Does the step only happen at F/2.8 or does it happen stopped down as well?

20. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    That's along the lines of what I was thinking yesterday. I wonder if maybe the electronic motor driving aperture (not sure if that's in the camera, or the lens?) isn't finely controlled enough to smoothly step the aperture? Since the aperture seems to adjust smoothly with no power to the lens that implies the lens is physically capable of doing so, but maybe the drive motor (or firmware) isn't. I wonder if that means there would be any difference with the GH3 which is specifically designed to operate with the 12-35 as a kit lens.