1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 35-100 vs Oly 45/1.8, 75/1.8

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by kuau, Jan 13, 2013.

1. kuau

kuau Mu-43 Regular

Oct 17, 2011
    I am new to the m3d world and trying to decide which would be a better purchase.
    I shoot mostly landscape using my OM-D I shoot at F4 and F5.6
    Corner sharpness is critical and I shoot 90% of the time at infinity.

I currently have the Oly 45/1.8 which is great and was considering purchasing the Oly 75/1.8 also.

Then I started thinking about the Pana 35-100 zoom.
    Price wise the Pana zoom would cost me 100.00 more then the Oly 45/1.8 and the 75/1.8

Any suggestions?

Steven

2. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I would say it comes down to whether you need/want the flexibility of the zoom mainly. I do own both lenses but haven't shot all that much with the 35-100mm yet (though I have with the 12-35mm f/2.8 which is comparable). They're both going to be high quality lenses so it's not as if one is a "bad" choice.

That said, 75mm is cheaper than the zoom and it's an incredibly sharp & high resolving lens. Even without looking at the test numbers, I can say with confidence the 75mm is almost certainly the sharper of the two. Obviously lenses perform differently at infinity and corner sharpness levels but my money is still on the Olympus. It's been touted by some as possibly the sharpest lens ever made, so that should tell you something :smile:

If you're only shooting on a tripod at f/4 and f/5.6 then OIS won't matter to you, and you've got IBIS anyway. So really only thing the zoom has going for it is the flexibility over the range, which you may or may not care about - particularly if taking time to swap lenses isn't a big deal for you.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I just posted my lens collection in this thread: https://www.mu-43.com/f38/poll-lens-setup-would-you-pick-39159/ The one lens that I don't own but should is the O75. I use the O40 - 150 when hiking etc., because wildlife requires a zoom. The O40 - 150 works fine in daylight. However, the O75 would make a great short tele lens, particularly tripod mounted. I suggest that you look for one of the great prices on the O40 - 150 and also pick up the O75 for less than the price of the Pana 35 -100.

• Like Like x 1
  4. kuau

kuau Mu-43 Regular

Oct 17, 2011
    Looks like I have some things to think about.
    I should probably head over to lensrentals.com and do my own comparisons.

5. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Do you also want a 60/2.8 or 100/2.8? Are you frequently in positions where you can't "zoom with your feet"?

If you were taking portraits and needed shallow depth of field, I think there would be a convincing argument for the f/1.8 lenses, but from what you describe, I think the zoom makes a helluva strong option

• Like Like x 1
  6. kuau

kuau Mu-43 Regular

Oct 17, 2011
    TC, I ended up just placing my order to rent both the 35-100 and the 75/1.8
    I think it was worth the 120.00 so I can see for myself if the zoom can do what I want.
    In the past shooting FF DSLR, Nikon D3s and D800 using Nikons 70-200/2.8 VRII the images although very good, yet were never as sharp as my Zeiss manual focus ZF lenses especially in the corners.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bmat

Bmat New to Mu-43

Jan 2, 2013
    I have the 35-100 and 75 (had the 45 but got rid of it). The IQ of the 35-100 is amazing, and since I've gotten it (not long ago) I use it more than the 75 (or the 45 when I had it). And if I could have just one then I'd get the 35-100, even though I wish it had been $200 cheaper.

8. kuau

kuau Mu-43 Regular

Oct 17, 2011
    Bmat,
    What kind of images do you take mostly? People, Family, what I mean is central image is very sharp and you can live with less detail in the corners?

9. Bmat

Bmat New to Mu-43

Jan 2, 2013
    I view them both as very good portrait lenses. So I have shot kid sports, portraits, etc.

10. WilburNJ

WilburNJ Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2012
    I bought the 35-100 2.8 based on some reviews and had high expectations. I was a bit disappointed and ended up returning it. I bought instead the 75 1.8. So, I now have the 20 1.7, 45 1.8, and soon the 75 1.8 (should be delivered today).

My decision was based purely on my needs/expected use. I have the epl5, so I don't want or expect to use a flash when indoors. Do my 20 1.7 and 45 1.8 are fast enough to handle most indoor situations.

I also travel a lot for work, so I intend to take my EPL5 with me and take street pics to capture some of the cultures for nt kids to experience indirectly. For that, these lenses will do fine, but I wanted some reach too. That's why I bought the 35-100 2.8. Unfortunately, I just didn't think it was sharp enough for that price. If it were a bit sharper, I would gladly have kept it for the flexibility it offers.

But, in the end, I returned it and expect to get the 75 1.8 today. By all accounts, this should be a sharp lens and I'm looking forward to it.

For more serious photography, I've been using high-end canon gear (5d3 and 1d4), with a bunch of L lenses. But, I'm thinking it might be smarter to sell all that gear and get the OMD as my more serious camera body, that way I would only need one set of great lenses.

Bottom line, I've been very impressed by the M43 ecosystem, with an assortment of great bodies and lenses now available! Well done to all the early adopters who went into the M43 system.

11. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I have both lenses and I love both. If I had to choose it would be the zoom for the versatility. I shoot a lot of action and the zoom just edges out the 75mm due to its flexibility and an extra bit of length. The 75mm has this demeanor about it, something special is going on, which is very attractive. I am wrapping up some theatre shots (grand opening at a high school) which I used both lenses. If you're interested I'll send you a link.

Gary

• Like Like x 1
  12. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    I think we'd all be interested in seeing some of these shots Gary. Put up a link.

• Like Like x 1
  13. kuau

kuau Mu-43 Regular

Oct 17, 2011
    Will,
    Thanks for your input and I have decided to go the same way.
    I am going to get the 75/1.8 to compliment my 45/1.8 and Panasonic 25/1.4
    This will be my 3 lens kit for my OM-D
    I had tried new 17/1.8 but was not impressed with corner sharpness at F4, F5.6
    So I returned that one. Maybe a bad copy, but compared the 45 and 25, it was not even close in terms of overall sharpness.

14. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Robert Capa once asserted that if your pictures aren’t good enough, you’re not close enough. I find the Olympus 75mm addictively supports getting close enough given subjects at normal distance. For subjects afar, the resolution is so detailed that you can heavily crop your raw shot and obtain rich detail in the resulting jpeg. A zoom makes light work of certain conditions and requirements. Until those conditions and requirements are thrust on me, I'm sticking with the 75mm prime.

15. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    GRAB0171.
    OM-D w/ O75mm, 1/125, f/2.8, ISO 1600

GRAA0343.
    OM-D w/ P35-100 @ 100mm, 1/125, f/2.8, ISO 1600

• Like Like x 2