Panasonic 35-100 - problem with OIS ?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by maver1ck, Mar 19, 2014.

1. maver1ck

maver1ck New to Mu-43

Mar 19, 2014

I bought this lens few days ago and I have some problems with having sharp photos.

I did some test yesterday and I have following results. Camera is GM1.

At 1/50s and 100mm only half or less of photos are sharp. (photos were handheld with OIS ON)

For example series of 5 photos (crop from centre):

Only one of them is perfectly sharp.

Is it normal behaviour of that lens ?
    On tripod with OIS OFF all photos are sharp.

PS. I wrote this as a former owner of Canon 5D + 70-200/4 IS.
    And I'm pretty sure that i such conditions Canon gave sharp photos.
  2. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    1/50s with 200mm equivalent is pretty slow, even with OIS. You might just need a higher shutter speed... hard to say as everyone is different. I can go lower than that even with a 70-200mm f/2.8 lens on a DSLR but not everyone can.

You may wish to try it with the GM1's electronic shutter on/off and see if that's making any difference with shutter shock or the like.
  3. maver1ck

maver1ck New to Mu-43

Mar 19, 2014

I don't see any difference between electronic and mechanical shutter.

Maybe the reason is very small body and lens (compared to C5D).

I'll be happy if someone can provide photos ad 1/50s and 100mm.
  4. Lisandra

Lisandra Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    handheld at 200mm 1/50 of a sec its a miracle to get anything sharp on my canon 1d mk4, I just checked, so this is motion blur, The most success Ive had with this lens at 100mm (200mm) is at 1/100 of a sec. Which is still 1 stop slower than I should be using anyway.
  5. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    It's normal. I have the same lens, though my keeper rate is higher than yours.. Image stabilization means it helps increase your keeper rate not totally eliminate vibration. It doesn't mean that all your photos are going to be sharp, because it really depends on how stable you handhold your gear first.

For example, if you can only handhold @ 200mm shooting say @ 1/200sec and get 10 out of 10 sharp photos most of the time, then with OIS and 2 stops under, you can get similar results with 1/50sec. But if you can't even get decent results with 1/200sec @ 100mm only 5 out 10, then you need to up your shutter speed to 1/500sec to get 10 out of 10, then that's your base shutter speed from where you can lower 2 stops under if using OIS. This is the same with Nikon VR or Canon I.S system.

1/focal length is just a guide. Not everyone has stable enough hands to handhold 1/FL or in this case 1/2xFL and get perfect sharp photos 10 out of 10 all the time.
  6. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    I was gonna link to a thread of mine where I shot w/ this lens and a GX7, but I noticed the slowest I shot at was 1/60s.....not quite 1/50. haha
  7. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    I don't know that it's really any help for you but here's one example I had on Flickr that is with the 35-100 at 1/50s on a GH3.

As you can see there's no issue with motion blur, but as indicated in other posts that's highly person and situation-dependent. I've also gotten sharp photos at 1/15s on a 70-200mm f/2.8 zoom on a FF DSLR which is several times larger and heavier, so your mileage may vary :smile:

GH3 Test Photos by jloden, on Flickr