Panasonic 35-100 or oly 45 mm and 75 mm ;

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by PantelisMor, Oct 11, 2013.

1. PantelisMor

PantelisMor Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2013
    I am owner of 17 mm, i am very happy with this lens. I am thinking sometime to buy lens with more zoom.

What do you think that is the best solution ;;;;
  2. millimeterwave

millimeterwave Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 31, 2012
    ATL, GA
    I've used the 45mm and 35-100mm but not the 75mm.

If you can deal with losing a 1 and a third stops in aperture then absolutely go with the 35-100. It's much more versatile and produces beautiful images.

Personally I find myself bumping into the "reasonable" iso limit of my OMD so I need lenses as fast as I can get.
  3. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    There's no right answer, it depends on what you shoot- subjects, lighting, etc.

Another option is Oly 45 + Pana 45-150 if you want more reach. Or the Oly 75 + say the Pana 25.

There's plenty of possible great combinations, just depends on you-
  4. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    I am personally saving for a 35-100 or the upcoming 40-150 f2.8, then selling the 45 and 14-150. The versatility is just so alluring. Though I've been trying to save for a while now.

If you're starting from scratch, 45 is a great deal and will tide you over until that big investment for fast zoom.
  5. cdmicha

cdmicha Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2012
    To sort of re-hash what others have stated- it depends on your shooting style. For me, I love shooting wide open. I love creamy, melted backgrounds- so I go for the primes for that little bit extra. Sharpness is also better- but honestly, there's many times that I actually bring down sharpness in post (especially when shooting portraits) because this system is so sharp.

You really can't go wrong with either option.
  6. blitzkriegh

blitzkriegh New to Mu-43

Feb 20, 2013
    Been wanting to try out the 75mm 1.8 as I also want bokeh and isolation shots. However, the more I think, with the price of 75mm, I can get either a combo 17mm 1.8 + 45mm 1.8.

I dont know which path but I only have 12-50 kit pens at the moment.
  7. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    I chose the 45/75 combo. If the option was the 40-150 I might have gone differently.

8. pix530

pix530 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 2, 2013
    I have both 35-100 and 45 and imho 45 is a little bit better in subjective terms of IQ and bokeh.
    But 35-100 is very useful so let me tell you, I love both...

Want to try 75mm, but it would be too long for most of my standard portrait work.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    I have all three. I much prefer the primes, and I really only use the zoom if it gets wet or I need stabilization with my gh3 or I'm shooting an event. Portraiture and the like, the primes are where it's at, especially the 75, which is fantastic. Since I do mostly portraits, and I prefer my EM5 where a stabilized lens doesn't matter, I use the 45 and 75 almost exclusively compared to the 35-100 which I've maybe pulled out once. 2.8 is too slow
    • Like Like x 2
  10. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    My tip: don't try the 75 unless you are prepared to buy it. Once you've used it, you'll never do without.

Of course it's not flexible (I have the 40-150 for that), but the images ...
  11. nardoleo

nardoleo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 2, 2013
    I own all 3 and of the 3, the 75mm is just awesome. Love the details and sharpness of that lens.

I use the 35-100mm zooms mainly for outdoor events like golf tournaments and travel and it is a great zoom.

Bottomline, get the zoom if u must choose. Get it and the 75mm if u can. U wont regret it.

PS: my 45mm has been neglected since I gotten the 75mm. I dont find the 150mm focal length too long.

Sent from my trusty Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    • Like Like x 2
  12. PantelisMor

Jan 14, 2013
    Ha hahah, i like your tip. I have on my mind. The truth is that pics i see on forum are incredible
  13. PantelisMor

Jan 14, 2013
    Difficult choice. The only i know is that there isn't possibility to buy both of them.....
  14. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    35-100mm and 75mm, 45mm is really not that long for outdoor to be honest.
  15. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
    personally, i am partial to primes. The 75mm, some say too long, i dont mind it. The IQ from the zoom is great dont get me wrong, but the 75mm and 45mm renders the images much better than the zoom and better overall IQ.

if you like any kind of bokeh then the 45 or 75 will suit you better, and if you dont mind changing lenses if you are using one body.
  16. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

What is the 'more zoom' for? Is it flexibility at telephoto ranges for events, or is it a longer focal length for more planned portraits? If you need flexibility without changing lenses too much, the zoom is probably better.

You could consider waiting for the upcoming PL42.5 f/1.2 for portraits instead of the O45, btw.
  17. blitzkriegh

blitzkriegh New to Mu-43

Feb 20, 2013
    Thanks for the advice guys. I have about $1000 budget by end of December and would want to use it for spare lenses. Been eyeing for the 75mm for so long but the price tag just makes me think twice. I've been a user of Pan25mm 1.4 and 45mm 1.8... I find the 45mm great but still short for me. I still want to keep the 12-50 and a few lenses..

Most of my general pictures were shot at 17-25mm range but the pictures I found great were the ones shot by an 85mm 1.8 during my SLR APC days...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mu-43 mobile app
  18. cdmicha

cdmicha Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2012
    If you've been considering the 75mm, I'd just go for it- it's amazing. You'll forget how much you spent on it as soon as you start using it. I absolultely love getting back from photo shoots just to see what I've got with that lens. Especially for a format that has to work harder for the shallow depth of field, that lens is awesome.
  19. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    I took a took at your Flickr, the zoom might work out better for you. You seem to shoot a variety of subjects.

Honestly I only take out my 75 for portraits, but damn does it do a good job at that!
  20. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    I think 17 and 45 would be a great two-lens combo.