1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 35-100 f4 OIS

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by boatman37210, Jan 23, 2016.

1. boatman37210

boatman37210 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 28, 2012
    Thailand
    Can I use the OIS on the 35-100 f4 on an EM5? If I can, can you tell how to set the camera.

Read one comment where they said it would not work due to the EM5 being an older camera. Supposedly the firmware would not allow it.

Thanks.

2. vm666

vm666 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2013
    Paris
    Are you talking of this lens? The Panasonic 35-100 f/4.0-5.6 mini zoom?

AFAIK, you'll have to switch the IBIS off, as the mini-zoom is stabilized but there is no knob on the lens to switch the OIS off.
    If you leave both the body and the lens stabilizers on, they will cancel each other.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. boatman37210

Jun 28, 2012
    Thailand
    Yes, that is the lens. Supposedly on a Panasonic camera the OIS is turned on using the in body camera menu. I gather from that the OIS is always off until the camera menu turns it on.

I read one site, which I cannot find now, that said to change either the release C or S setting under C menu in the gear menu to get it to work. But then I also read where the OIS will not work on an EM5 because of it being an older camera.

Took pics using IBIS and was not too pleased. Will try turning off IBIS to see if it makes a difference.

4. kreegah bundolo

kreegah bundolo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 25, 2013
    Sweden, north of the dalälv
    Johan
    I've got the 35-100/4-5,6 on my M5 Elite, having no trouble at all, works like a charm. Work just as fine on my P5 to.

Wonderful little lens.
    Woot? I've got mine 35-100/4-5,6 on my M5 Elite right now, has been there since I bought it a few months ago. I haven't turned the IBIS off and it works as a charm, it stabilizes as any other lens. Great lens for the size and price(got mine new in bulk for less than $200).

edit: attaches a couple handhelds, one @35 and one 200mm. IBIS on. P1090671.JPG P1090682.JPG

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. boatman37210

Jun 28, 2012
    Thailand
    "On Olympus bodies, photographers have the option of using sensor-based stabilization or optical MEGA O.I.S. They can switch to optical in the "gear" menu > "C" Release > Lens I.S. Priority. Since the optical stabilizer is quieter than the sensor-based alternative, there may be situations where Olympus owners want to take advantage of this feature."

I was able to re-locate the above. I do not see "Lens I.S. Priority" as an option on my EM5, so I am assuming the only I.S. available when using this lens is IBIS.

6. vm666

vm666 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2013
    Paris
    Are you sure? Testing the stabilisation efficiency is difficult.
    When the E-PL5 was produced, several web sites say that it was the first Oly body that would automatically switch the IBIS off with an OIS lens.
    It is possible that the latest firmwares introduced this feature on the older E-M5 and E-P5 but I cannot find any "lens IS priority" menu on my E-M5 with the 2.1 firmware.

See:
    E-PL5 comments
    "Lens I.S. Priority" on E-PL5, allows me to use any Panny OIS lens?: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

7. vm666

vm666 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2013
    Paris
    I'm not sure. I thought that it was on until the camera switched it off but we have to test that...
    (I have this lens, as well as the Pana 12-32 f/3.5-5.6)

8. kreegah bundolo

kreegah bundolo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 25, 2013
    Sweden, north of the dalälv
    Johan
    I had to check so I would be sure to not be a liar, exif says IS1 on all pics I checked.

I also checked in the menus and neither on my P5 or M5 I've got a "Lens IS Prio". It's dark since a couple of hours here in Seden, but I tested switching IS off and it felt like IS was different. Hope there will be a couple hours of daylight tomorrow and I will test further. But the pics I've taken so far has all been almost as sharp as the kitlens, 14-42II.

edit: I also checked the site I bought it from, cyberphoto.se, a swedish site where the employes are known for their knowledge, they say "Men monterad på en Olympus-kamera så är det kamerans egna sensorbaserade bildstabilisering som automatisk tar över (om den är aktiverad förstås)." - in english: "Mounted on a Olympus camera the kameras own IS takes over, (if it is activated of course). I read that when I ordered it and havent thought about it since.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1