Panasonic 35-100 f2.8, $1274.99 on Amazon

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by tosvus, Jan 16, 2014.

1. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    I think this is the lowest price from Amazon, ever. I'm aware that it is possible to import cheaper from Japan, but the savings aren't THAT big vs some risk of getting stuck in customs etc.

Link

• Like Like x 1
  2. zlatko-photo

zlatko-photo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2014
    It's $1274.99 on shop.panasonic.com too. Perhaps a price drop is coming at B&H other sellers too.

3. b534202

b534202 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 18, 2012

Maybe Panasonic knows that Olympus tele f/2.8 zoom is coming?

4. zlatko-photo

zlatko-photo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2014
    Some sellers on Amazon.com are offering it for as little as $1,020 directly from Japan. However the warranty is for Japan only, and I don't know about import fees, if any. And as you mentioned, there is the risk of it getting stuck in customs.

5. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    I bought recently from Japan on eBay for $1,020. No customs duty, and it cleared Customs in 24 hours; I tracked it. As far as warranty, I've never had to get a lens serviced under warranty, so I assumed the risk. Worst case, I pay to have Panasonic service it. To me, well worth the risk to save a few hundred dollars, and no tax.

• Like Like x 2
  6. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    Yes, I think it depends on your situation & personal view. For me, the 20% extra was worth it, since I had my lens delivered from amazon in 24 hrs (I have Prime and paid $3.95 to expedite it), plus for the state I live in, I don't pay tax on amazon purchases anyway. Plus, I can sleep better at night knowing it is under US warranty. It is after all the most expensive lens I have bought so far. I agree that for the most part, lenses rarely need to be fixed, but I got burned once when I bought gray market and got a bad sample of a lens (it wasn't broken per se, but I found out that the batch of lenses had very variable quality (corner sharpness), and for me, it was borderline unusable.).

PS: I have bought from abroad on occasion when the savings were bigger, and I felt I could take the risk. No problems those times, so in terms of customs, yes, probably low risk for us living in the US at least.

• Like Like x 1