Showcase Panasonic 30mm f2.8 Macro

@Macroramphosis Nice pictures! I am about to buy a P30mm. What lighting setup do you use? I imagine you have to be pretty close to the subject to get a decent amount of magnification, and that casts a lot of shade on the subject... Right?

Real Name
Roddy
@Macroramphosis Nice pictures! I am about to buy a P30mm. What lighting setup do you use? I imagine you have to be pretty close to the subject to get a decent amount of magnification, and that casts a lot of shade on the subject... Right?
Hi Frank! Yes, you do have to be close for the macro side of things with this lens, but with what I use for lighting the shadow is workable - I sometimes use a diffused side light from an LED torch to help out, but the only other lighting I'll use is a set up I describe here, which utilises the little FL70 flash which came with my wife's old GM5. It's a simple set-up, and although I have tweaked it a bit it's still basically the same. If I get a longer lens such as the Oly 60mm in the future then I will move up to a grown-up flash.

You're welcome to come back with questions. The dog-collar diffuser does work very well though, and it's something that is REALLY quick to set up and use when needed - plus I can carry it around in a cargo pocket too when not needed.

Just received my P30mm. First test shot:

P1070925.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Playing around with the on-camera flash and a diffuser...

P1070976.JPG

Still learning, but I found it pretty cool to see the spider's eyes in this picture. (I had seen macro pictures of spiders before, but I was still amazed when I saw this come out of my own camera. :))

This is a crop (couldn't get any closer than this), and the picture was taken under natural light.

P1080127.jpg

Real Name
Roddy
First time out this year for the 30mm. Found some Hairy-footed Flower bees (Anthophora plumipes) in the garden at the new house and spent 20 minutes with them. Great to see some insects in the sunshine...

P1380425_HDR.jpeg

Real Name
Roddy
Couple more from today. Top one is a solitary bee, another Hairy Footed Flower bee (Anthophora plumipes), and the lower one a bee-fly (Bombylius sp). The latter insect typically beats its wings 200 times per second, hence the blur!

It is no coincidence that both species should be on this flower at the same time, for they both share the same food plants AND the larvae of the bee-fly are parasitoids and the adult may well lay its eggs in the solitary bee's nest. Typically the two species are only on the wing for a few weeks before the annual cycle ceases.

1 (1).jpeg

1.jpeg

Last edited:

joelipka

New to Mu-43
I have used this lens to scan film negatives. It works very well. I have completed two projects (so far) with this lens and it works very well copying negatives from 35 mm (remember that?), 645, 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10 negatives.

Complete hardware set up is the Panasonic G85 with the 30mm lens, a viltrox light source and cosmo copy stand. I use the Negative Lab Pro plug-in for Lightroom to reverse the negatives.

P1090122.jpg

This is a crop. (Just realised that I can't get it bigger in the frame without cropping, given the 1:1 magnification and the size of the spider. We keep learning every day. 😛)

Real Name
Roddy
The moss on our garden wall is in flower, which goes to show that no matter how small you are, spring is in the air! :D

P1390579.jpeg

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom