Showcase Panasonic 30mm f2.8 Macro

Amin Sabet

Administrator
No, I didn't use the site subscription money to buy this watch :D. Anniversary gift from my better half:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Roddy
A few different subjects with this lens - which I use as both a macro lens and as a walkabout on a G6. I find it super sharp but it lacks a focus zone button, which is really needed sometimes when doing macro 'in the field' on moving subjects. For static subjects, however, it is superb.

P7610179_HDR.jpeg

P7820602.JPG

P7800424.JPG

P7810336 copy_HDR.jpeg

P7840318.jpeg

Last edited:
Real Name
Roddy
I've been doing some 'night' shooting recently in Rochefort (western France) while the kids have been skating. I've been using the 30mm as a walkaround lens as my 14-140 mki is awful in low light and I have been very pleasantly surprised by the output from the little macro lens. Below is an image, and the crop from it, that I think it a very worthwhile result for a 16MP sensor from 2013. It's a JPEG shot, handheld, and the only PP I have done is to fiddle with shadows. No sharpening, clarity, or other alterations.

I hasten to add that this does not stop me from lusting after a decent fast prime, which I suspect will be my next purchase. 20mm or 17mm? Hmmm, choices, choices. Maybe stick with the 30mm and buy a second-hand GX80 on eBay instead - it'd be about the same price?

G6 with 30mm macro, 1/60, f2.8, iso 400

Last edited:
Real Name
Roddy
My Panasonic 30mm is by far my most used lens, due to my penchant for the odd macro. As a one-lens walkaround solution it suits me down to the ground. Sure I would like it a little shorter sometimes, and perhaps a little faster, but for the price and its qualities, I think it deserves far more love than it gets. Three years on from acquisition, it still quietly gets about its business, despite the odd bang here and there, and a tumble onto a tiled floor last year (thanks, cat).

Spring means sunshine, and those who have slept all winter need a bit of warmth at this time of year.

P1130100_HDR.jpeg

Real Name
Roddy
I must be the only one who uses this lens in the world, I think :) I cannot believe there are only two pages of images on this showcase thread.

Here's a few more photos taken recently with this lovely little lens that demonstrates what amazing value it is for about €300. Focus acquisition is pretty damn fast too, much better than my 42.5, for example....a very unsung hero of the Panasonic line-up.

I forgot to add, these are all JPEGs. My ancient Mac is too slow to shoot RAW, :D

P1180083 copy_HDR.jpeg

P1180206 copy_HDR.jpeg

P1170243_HDR.jpeg

P8040687 copy2.jpg

P1130667_HDR B&W.jpg

P1100574 copy 2_HDR.jpeg

P1110123 copy.jpg

P1140918 copy_HDR_HDR.jpeg

Last edited:
Real Name
Roddy
I finally managed to nail a decent photo of a 20mm juvenile stick insect today, which handily illustrates the quality of this lens. This is a 200% plus crop (so probably 4mm diagonal on the image), and no achromat was used. For a cheap lens it does pretty well :)

(cross-posted in the insect thread)

Real Name
Roddy
Some photos of a small (5mm) jumping spider who came to visit recently. It's a Saitis barpipes, one of Europe's most colourful spiders. It's just a shame they do not get to be much bigger, as not only are they cute, but they are also inquisitive and very friendly. It's all too easy to get too close and suddenly they're on the camera, on you and on your clothing :D

P1210518_HDR.jpeg

P1210511.JPG

P1210506.JPG

Interesting!
I'm fairly new to M43 but I'm an obsessive reader of gear reviews and opinions.
It would seem that this Pana 30mm macro is something of an under-appreciated sleeper.
*Excellent reviews from Lenstip and Optical Limits and others.
* A good, reasonably fast 'normal' focal length lens that auto focuses fast enough, has OIS, and doubles as a walk-around lens and a true 1:1 macro and is moderately priced!
Maybe it's the 'Macro' tag that puts some people off?
Sure, 30mm might not be an ideal length for macro......but checking some of the images above I'd say it doesn't have to be a big issue!
Only two pages in the Showcase!! ??
I cant work that out.....but nevertheless it's on the top of my 'next gear to buy' list :dance2:

Real Name
Roddy
The Tennis Champ having a happy dip after winning a tournament yesterday.

(x-posted in Beautiful People)

Real Name
Roddy
A boardwalks at a nearby lake, and one of those scenes this morning that I can never photograph right. There was a real fairytale quality to the light and i just couldn't capture it. Perhaps someone with better PP skills might have made something of it....sigh

Last edited:
Real Name
Roddy
Some recent insect images, one far, one so-so and one close :)

Alien Life in the Cosmos
P1280713_HDR-studio.jpg

A Pause before Liftoff .... (Velucella zonaria, I think)
P1280686-adjust.jpg

A juvenile spittlebug that landed on my arm while gardening, and then had to find a clear space to take of in again. The runway's never been mown.
P1270100-adjust.jpg

Real Name
Roddy
Imminent Impact

P1290617_HDR-studio.jpg

(edited with Topaz Studio 2 - EXIF does not transfer. GX8 + P30mm 1/1000, f/5, ISO100)

cross-posted in Selective Colour

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom