1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 25mm- should I or shouldn't I

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by papamac58, Jan 12, 2013.

1. papamac58

papamac58 Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 18, 2012
    Black Diamond, WA
    Hi all, Pretty new guy here and would appreciate your thoughts. I have an OM-D E-M5 and the following lenses:

Olympus 60mm macro
    Panasonic 7-14mm
    Panasonic 14-140mm
    Panasonic 100-300mm

The 60mm and 7-14mm were bought for underwater photography mainly but will be used topside. I am mostly interested in travel ease and think I am totally covered for landscape thru wildlife/sports use. my question is should i get the Panasonic 25mm for street/indoor use or?

Thanks for looking, Greg

2. redalien

redalien Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    Tamas
    Yes. You have almost the dream team line up, only other one I would like is the oly75mm

3. feilb

feilb Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    I've got one. It's fantastic. If cost is no object, I for it.

4. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    You have a great set, for low light you can get one of the following P14, P20 or P25.
    Out of the three my favourite is the P20 because it has the balance of a pancake like the P14 with fast high quality lens as the P25.
    It only week point is slow focus, this is not an issue if you shot stationary subjects.

5. papamac58

papamac58 Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 18, 2012
    Black Diamond, WA
    the small form factor of the 20mm is attractive but the slow focus is what keeps me from it but how much slower is it really, would i notice a big enough difference?

6. papamac58

papamac58 Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 18, 2012
    Black Diamond, WA
    have one what? the 25? "I for it" means what? inquiring minds want to know

7. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    It is certainly noticeable in low light. Taking pics of young kids can be very hit and miss.
    Apart from that it is a wonderful lens.... I have had both.
    M

8. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I've found the PL 25/1.4 to be by far the best indoor lens available for m4/3. It's a useful focal length, and the wide aperture and fast focusing are very valuable.

Note that at f/1.4, depth-of-field is quite shallow when focused on near objects, so be prepared to use the small AF point setting on your E-M5.

9. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    The slow focus of the P20 did not stop me from taking any shot.
    I have tried it now at my room, in almost darkness and it is much less then a second to focus. If it is in the approximate focus range it is almost instant.
    If you go from infinity to short range it takes about a second to focus.
    All this tests I have performed in almost dark and the infinity on the city lights.
    For me the advantages of lens that are size and price are more important then faster focusing of the P25.

10. papamac58

papamac58 Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 18, 2012
    Black Diamond, WA
    so it is sounding like it would be a worthy addition instead of just using the 14-140 for a walk around lens

11. papamac58

papamac58 Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 18, 2012
    Black Diamond, WA
    "For me the advantages of lens that are size and price are more important then faster focusing of the P25."

smaller size for travel and about a $100 less is very attractive indeed

12. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
  13. feilb

feilb Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    iPhone keyboard is working against me. I have a 25. I for it = Go for it

14. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    In terms of ergonomics/balance I prefer the 25mm over the 20mm. On a very small body the 20mm is great, but on something larger the 25 is my choice. :cool:

15. papamac58

papamac58 Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 18, 2012
    Black Diamond, WA
    very cool site, thank you

16. papamac58

papamac58 Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 18, 2012
    Black Diamond, WA
    thank you for all the info guys, now what kind of carrier for say three of the lenses and some incidentals, non-backpack type do you folks have experience with and recommend for tramping around.

17. feilb

feilb Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    I love my ThinkTank retrospective 10. If I was only carrying m43 gear, I'd go with the 5 or 7 which would fit what you asked.

I can put a hasselblad 500c with lens, om-d, 3 lenses and 2 flashes, extra film, etc in mine and not end up with a massive duffel bag to lug.

Plus it is made beautifully and has a "no questions asked" lifetime warranty.

18. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi..Single reply...If u can afford it then get it.Its a beautiful lens .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

19. evilnim

evilnim Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Birmingham
    I've just been through a similar nerve shredding teeth gnashing debate. I had the 20mm for 18 sweet months, and it was awesome. It's small, it's good in low light, and it's sharp.

Everything I read about the 25mm made me curious though...so I got the 25mm about a week ago, and have only tested it a little so far. But in that short period of time, I realised that it is fully awesome. So much so that I am keeping it, and have sold my oly 45mm (great lens, but just not a fan of the focal length) and also my 20mm to fund it (don't think ill need it now).

The size difference is not great to me as I couldn't pocket my Om-d and 20 anyway, and although both are plenty sharp, there is just SOMETHING about the 25mm images that make me smile. Is it the beautiful bokeh at 1.4? Maybe. Is it the rendering of the colours? Maybe. Is it something I can't actually describe in words? Definitely.

Whichever you decide, it will be a great choice. I'm just glad I had the chance to try them both.

• Like Like x 1
  20. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    +1 - The Retrospective 5 or 10 would make an excellent bag. I have a 20, which is bigger than you would need, but well made and an intelligent design. :thumbup: