Panasonic 25mm f1.7 going to McLaren

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by HarryS, Mar 7, 2016.

1. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Called Panasonic for my $99 special. Got a reference number and off it will go, hopefully for a repair, a replacement, or maybe it disappears forever in their repair center, if the yelp reviews are accurate,

When I first got it, it seemed to be pretty sharp. Then I started getting a lot of OOF landscapes, especially above f2.8. I compared it with my P20mm f1.7 and O17mm f1.8, just to make sure I wasn't getting fooled by DOF issues. No, I think it's real.

This would be the first lens I've ever bought new that has had performance issues.

4/1/2106 edit: deleted the original pix as I put crops in my last reply

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Interesting, I also got a $99 one from B&H and it wasn't sharp at all. I sent it back for a refund since I have an O 25/1.8 that's sharp enough.

3. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

I got a Panasonic 25mm f/1.7 from Adorama. It was not sharp at the center where I focus, although sharpness increased toward the bottom of the image. I carefully compared it with my Oly 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens at 25mm on the same subject. The Oly was much sharper. I returned the Panasonic as defective and asked for a replacement. Every few weeks I get a notice from Adorama that it's on backorder.

Bria

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  4. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Well, it's in Texas and they have it. I wonder how it checks out to them. Yesterday, the service manager said they want to see examples of bad pix.

These are quarter sized crops (1152 pixels wide) from the samples I sent him. Focus box was centered near these areas. Not motion blur, as shutter speeds were super high, since it was daylight and f1.7.

Maybe it's some kind of far focus communication problem between my cameras and the lens. The lens seemed to work fine when pointed at something 7 feet away, even wide open.

crop1. crop2. crop3.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016