Panasonic 25mm f1.7 for $99 at Adorama and B&H with Free Shipping (expired)

Brian Beezley

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
In late December I received a defective 25mm f/1.7 lens. I returned it in mid-January and told Adorama I wanted it replaced with a good copy. They said they were out of stock and I decided to wait. Today I received a notice that the lens was still on backorder. Nothing about it being discontinued.

Brian

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Mu-43 Regular
...now I'm puzzled though. Apparently someone else has reported that Panasonic is no longer honouring the instant savings pricing, so Unique Photo (where they bought the lens) has cancelled all the outstanding orders.

And the lens is no longer listed on the Panasonic online store, whereas other lenses that are backordered are simply listed as backordered.

Curiouser and curiouser. Maybe it really is discontinued after just a few months on the market? I don't get it.
It's listed on Panasonic's site as being in stock and now selling for $299.99
H-H025K - PanasonicB2C

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
Well, it's official, B&H cancelled my backorder for the 25mm/1.7 placed back in November.

Sounds like Panasonic doesn't want to honour the sale price.

Pity, since I liked the FL as a narrow-normal to accompany my wide-normal 20mm/1.7. They worked pretty well as an outdoor/indoor complimentary pair. But I don't like it enough to pay retail price, unfortunately.

mccarthyizm

New to Mu-43
I ordered this lens from B&H on 11/25/15. Today B&H emailed me and said that the lens is no longer available and that they have cancelled my order. I see in the thread that I am not alone. This is an absolutely ridiculous conclusion to a very long wait without the slightest attempt to make things right. So what's the deal? This lens is obviously available elsewhere at full price. This absolutely feels like one of those situations where the SKU or some other technicality gives either panasonic or B&H the right to cancel the order after months of waiting. I'm wondering if anybody here plans on some sort of recourse.

henk sijgers

Mu-43 Rookie
I just got the email from B&H saying they cancelled my order. Very disappointing. If Panasonic or B&H didn't want to honor this offer then they shouldn't have made it. This wasn't a five-minute typo that you say "oopsie" on. Shame on them

mccarthyizm

New to Mu-43
Nice. Always refreshing to see somebody stick up for the mom & pop folks over at Panasonic and B&H.

Saeed

Mu-43 Regular
Ordered on Nov. 29th, B&H cancelled an hour ago. Exchange rate to CAD was 1.34 on that day, now it's 1.38, only positive out of this. I guess I'll have to find one used :(

henk sijgers

Mu-43 Rookie
I ordered this lens from B&H on 11/25/15. Today B&H emailed me and said that the lens is no longer available and that they have cancelled my order. I see in the thread that I am not alone. This is an absolutely ridiculous conclusion to a very long wait without the slightest attempt to make things right. So what's the deal? This lens is obviously available elsewhere at full price. This absolutely feels like one of those situations where the SKU or some other technicality gives either panasonic or B&H the right to cancel the order after months of waiting. I'm wondering if anybody here plans on some sort of recourse.

I'll certainly think twice before buying a Panasonic product or purchasing through B&H again.

Panasonic put the offer out there and then refused to stand behind it. I've bought six Panasonic cameras and eight Panasonic lenses since they first released the G1. Right now I see no reason to add to either count.

B&H handled the situation pathetically and not at all in any way that makes me feel like a valued customer. I've spent a fair amount of dosh over the years with them. Knowing now how little they value their customer I'm not inclined to treat them as a preferred vendor any longer.

At a minimum not rewarding their behavior and sharing your opinion of their (lack of) trustworthiness is recourse.

And you're right: "an absolutely ridiculous conclusion to a very long wait without the slightest attempt to make things right"

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
As far as online sale contracts go, most sellers reserve the right to cancel no-questions-asked up to the time of shipment. That's just how it goes.

I do think this hurts Panasonic's image more than the money they've saved cancelling the sales, but I guess I don't know how many thousands of lenses they were on the hook for. Still, they could have treated it like a million dollar marketing expense and left it at that.

GFFPhoto

Mu-43 All-Pro
Nice. Always refreshing to see somebody stick up for the mom & pop folks over at Panasonic and B&H.
I'm pretty sure that B&H is a family business. One store in NYC that closes for the Jewish holidays and all that. Thats not really the picture of a corporate behemoth. And for what its worth they have always been pretty fantastic with me. So I'll stick up for em.

mccarthyizm

New to Mu-43
Not sticking up for anyone. It's a crappy situation.

But talk of "recourse" like you are owed some kind of legal settlement seemed a bit much.

I meant recourse, as in, where can we post / send our complaints in a way that is most effective. That's all I meant.

robertro

Mu-43 Veteran
Same here - ordered early on from B&H - and cancelled by them today.

If thousands of orders were taken and cancelled ~90 days later, I guess that there would be a significant financial impact to them.

mccarthyizm

New to Mu-43
Thread over at Dpreview where an individual said Unique Photo told them that Panasonic wasn't going to fufill at that price.

Based on the follow-up I received at B&H, this is a Panasonic problem, so I retract my vitriol at B&H. This is not their doing.

Latest threads

Top Bottom