Panasonic 25mm f1.7 for $99 at Adorama and B&H with Free Shipping (expired)

iamwhoiam

Mu-43 Regular
Had been planning on buying the 20/1.7 but then this deal came along. Had gift cards from B & H from GX7 purchase last year so picked up the 25/1.7 and an SDHC card. The gift cards covered the entire purchase. :)

Panasonic 25mm f1.7 - is this a new lens? I already have the P 20mm f1.7 pancake and the 25mm f1.4 PanLeica. Is the 25mm f1.7 any better than those two? Any reviews?

Wisertime

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Steve
Yeah, that's where I was going to order it from, but I discovered that it was out of stock this morning. Samy's charges California sales tax anyway so it's cheaper getting it from the east coast where they only charge New York sales tax.

The lens was listed as out of stock (but orderable) everywhere I looked. Nothing like a deal to empty the warehouses.

Brian
I found at least 3 places googling that have it

sammykhalifa

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Neil
Panasonic 25mm f1.7 - is this a new lens? I already have the P 20mm f1.7 pancake and the 25mm f1.4 PanLeica. Is the 25mm f1.7 any better than those two? Any reviews?

While it is supposed to be pretty good, I imagine it's directly worse than the 1.4 you have.

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
Yes, it's a new entry level lens. Likely will appear as a kit lens on some future cameras. Not many reviews out there. One from ePhotozine, and a few Japanese shooting impressions.

From what I've gathered so far...faster autofocus than the 20mm/1.7 but probably not sharper overall. Probably similar sharpness to the PanaLeica, worse flare performance, but almost half the weight and fraction of the price. Similar size and fairly cheap plastic build quality, though. But it's not f1.4, and probably not nearly the same attention paid to designing a nice "rendering."

If you are happy with both your lenses, there's no actual advantage to the new 25/1.7. Unless you want to sell them and pocket a bunch of money.

Jonathan F/2

Mu-43 Legend
I doubt that they'll kit it, I wish they would but it's against the current marketing trend for... pretty much every camera company.

How's that? The 20mm 1.7 was a kit for the GF1 and GX7 and the 17mm 1.8 was a kit for the E-P5. It wouldn't be far fetched if Panasonic will kit the 25mm with a future camera body.

Savageajc

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Aron
Ugh too late, says exceeded warehouse limit! I was planning on using this $20.00 credit I had with them ( Adorama) that expires Dec =/

mw6sense

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
patrick cheung
How did people do with the new lens? I got mine last monday and put it to test. I paired it with E-PL5 and stock lens hood and already found some purple fringing on two out of my first ten outdoor pictures. I bought locally from adorama so I still have some time to test it out.

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
How did people do with the new lens? I got mine last monday and put it to test. I paired it with E-PL5 and stock lens hood and already found some purple fringing on two out of my first ten outdoor pictures. I bought locally from adorama so I still have some time to test it out.
Hmm, that's unfortunate. Did you find that it was difficult to remove with PP? Is only wide open? Centers vs. corners?

It's funny, there are quite a few inconsistencies with lens reviews in the M4/3 space because it not only depends on the body used (Panasonic or Olympus) but also whether it's uncorrected RAWs (i.e RawTherapee), corrected RAWs (Lightroom, DXO, etc...), or OOC JPEGs with body-specific corrections.

It gets even more confusing because of the different philosophies with lens coatings. Olympus filters out UV using the lens coatings, whereas Panasonic does it with the on-sensor stack. This is the cause of the "purple flaring" with the Panasonic 7-14mm on Olympus bodies. I'm convinced that beyond extreme aberrations like that, however, that this leads to more CA using non-Olympus lenses on Olympus bodies. Or, by contrast, slightly less CA using non-Panasonic lenses on Panasonic bodies. I found, for instance, that I get much less CA using the Olympus 4/3s 11-22 HG lens on my GX7 than you get using the same Olympus lens with an Olympus E-M5.

Nothing's ever straightforward...

mw6sense

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
patrick cheung
Hmm, that's unfortunate. Did you find that it was difficult to remove with PP? Is only wide open? Centers vs. corners?

It's funny, there are quite a few inconsistencies with lens reviews in the M4/3 space because it not only depends on the body used (Panasonic or Olympus) but also whether it's uncorrected RAWs (i.e RawTherapee), corrected RAWs (Lightroom, DXO, etc...), or OOC JPEGs with body-specific corrections.

It gets even more confusing because of the different philosophies with lens coatings. Olympus filters out UV using the lens coatings, whereas Panasonic does it with the on-sensor stack. This is the cause of the "purple flaring" with the Panasonic 7-14mm on Olympus bodies. I'm convinced that beyond extreme aberrations like that, however, that this leads to more CA using non-Olympus lenses on Olympus bodies. Or, by contrast, slightly less CA using non-Panasonic lenses on Panasonic bodies. I found, for instance, that I get much less CA using the Olympus 4/3s 11-22 HG lens on my GX7 than you get using the same Olympus lens with an Olympus E-M5.

Nothing's ever straightforward...
F stop was at 4.5. The flaring was right across in the middle. Funny thing was I wasn't pointing to the sun. When I get a chance, I will post it on here for everyone to see.

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
...I just bought a 2nd one, because I remembered that my mom also has a GF3 with the 14-42PZ tenaciously glued to it. The trouble is that she mostly uses it in the iAuto setting which limits it to ISO 800, and at 25mm the PZ lens is at ~f4.8, so lower light images will inevitably be blurry and poor. This is 3 (!) stops faster at the same focal length.

Hopefully I can convince her to give it a try, haha.

madmaxmedia

Mu-43 Veteran
Has anyone's BH order shipped yet? I ordered early in the week, at that time it had the same pre-order message as now.

Yes, it's a new entry level lens. Likely will appear as a kit lens on some future cameras. Not many reviews out there. One from ePhotozine, and a few Japanese shooting impressions.

From what I've gathered so far...faster autofocus than the 20mm/1.7 but probably not sharper overall. Probably similar sharpness to the PanaLeica, worse flare performance, but almost half the weight and fraction of the price. Similar size and fairly cheap plastic build quality, though. But it's not f1.4, and probably not nearly the same attention paid to designing a nice "rendering."

If you are happy with both your lenses, there's no actual advantage to the new 25/1.7. Unless you want to sell them and pocket a bunch of money.

Thanks. Good that Panasonic is making a "normal" prime available at such an affordable price. I find that I tend to use the 20mm more because its a pancake and so takes up less room in my bag and have been thinking of selling off the 25mm f1.4.

Latest threads

Top Bottom